Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice

User Stats

Votes
Ben Leybovich
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH
Votes |
CLOSED on a 98-unit TODAY!

Ben Leybovich
Posted Aug 17 2018, 19:20

So, we had another thread going for a couple of weeks here. And this is not yet a success story, since a lot of work needs to be done to make it a success. 

But, today, @Sam Grooms and I closed on this 98-unit in Phoenix.

This is a syndicated private placement acquisition. @Jillian Sidoti and her firm, whom I highly recommend, helped with the PPM-related docs. 

The unit mix includes studio, 1x1, 2x1, and 2x2 lay-outs. The asset was constructed in 1984, and has by and large been un-touched on the interior of the units. However, the bones are very good, the unit sizes are attractive within the sub-market, and the location is experiencing very significant gentrification.

This was a mom-an-pop owned property. Rents are low even for as-is condition. Our Cap Rate on the way in is a bit under 5%. Our expected Cap Rate after the re-positioning in Y3 is 8.3%. Obviously we feel that there is a lot of upside on the rents. 

We have a $1.4M renovation budget, which includes complete reno of the interiors, as well as close to $500,000 in the common areas.

I could talk for hours, but I won't. I have a feeling me talking for hours might happen on the blog :) 

But, feel free to ask questions - I won't tell you everything, but I'll do my best to paint the bug picture.

User Stats

Votes
Abiel Ballesteros
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Miami, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Miami, FL
Replied Aug 21 2018, 13:21

Nice Congratulations!! What is the partnership structure for a deal like this . 

User Stats

Votes
KerryAnn Fuller Rainey
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Clearwater, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Clearwater, FL
Replied Aug 21 2018, 13:21

Wow, congratulations!!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Ori Skloot
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Berkeley, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Berkeley, CA
Replied Aug 21 2018, 13:54

@Ben Leybovich and @Sam Grooms  Mazal tov guys!  This is an inspirational post for folks such as myself who haven't gotten to the syndication level yet.  I look forward to hearing further stories about how the project unfolds.   Ben, I particularly appreciate your follow-up post where you talk about learning in real-time and changing your mind/strategy about investing.   Keep up the good work!

User Stats

Votes
Scott Dawson
  • Mesa, AZ
Votes |
  • Mesa, AZ
Replied Aug 21 2018, 14:04

@Sam Grooms @Ben Leybovich I'm in the Phoenix Metro area. Let me know if there are any meet up / Masterminds to attend locally. Currently sourcing Multi Fam here in PHX and Indianapolis. Congrats on the deal and  Keep rockin!

User Stats

Votes
Jeremy Rotert
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Indianapolis, IN
Replied Aug 21 2018, 14:09

Ben, i would like to know how to find these private placement acquisitions, such as this 98-unit multi in phoenix. You mentioned in the comments that you had this under contract before public offerings were released. How did you (more importantly, how do I) locate deals similar to this, or any private placement acquisitions specific to real estate?

User Stats

Votes
Ben Leybovich
Votes |
Replied Aug 21 2018, 14:09
Originally posted by @Abiel Ballesteros:

Nice Congratulations!! What is the partnership structure for a deal like this . 

Abiel - this was a Reg D. Basically a limited partnership.

User Stats

Votes
Ben Leybovich
Votes |
Replied Aug 21 2018, 14:11
Originally posted by @Scott Dawson:

@Sam Grooms @Ben Leybovich I'm in the Phoenix Metro area. Let me know if there are any meet up / Masterminds to attend locally. Currently sourcing Multi Fam here in PHX and Indianapolis. Congrats on the deal and  Keep rockin!

Scott - Sam and I are going to be at @Shiloh Lundahl's meet-up in Masa in a few weeks. Connect with him :) 

User Stats

Votes
Ben Leybovich
Votes |
Replied Aug 21 2018, 14:12
Originally posted by @Ori Skloot:

@Ben Leybovich and @Sam Grooms  Mazal tov guys!  This is an inspirational post for folks such as myself who haven't gotten to the syndication level yet.  I look forward to hearing further stories about how the project unfolds.   Ben, I particularly appreciate your follow-up post where you talk about learning in real-time and changing your mind/strategy about investing.   Keep up the good work!

Ori - Mazal! 

User Stats

Votes
Donald S.
  • Accountant
  • Saint Louis, MO
Votes |
  • Accountant
  • Saint Louis, MO
Replied Aug 21 2018, 14:13

First let me add my congratulations to everyone (mostly everyone) elses to @Sam Grooms and @Ben Leybovich

Second I agree with what @Chris Clothier said, no reason to feed the troll, who appears to have left the site, and given the Mods on here quite a challenge, as there are a ton of "this post has been removed" markers. 

And finally I hope to be in your shoes one day, or possibly in one of your funds, but I got a long way and a lot of hard work ahead to get there. Keep it up guys. And if you're ever interested in St. Louis let me know please, I'd be honored to do anything I can to help. 

User Stats

Votes
Ben Leybovich
Votes |
Replied Aug 21 2018, 14:17
Originally posted by @Jeremy Rotert:

Ben, i would like to know how to find these private placement acquisitions, such as this 98-unit multi in phoenix. You mentioned in the comments that you had this under contract before public offerings were released. How did you (more importantly, how do I) locate deals similar to this, or any private placement acquisitions specific to real estate?

Jeremy - I think there might be a little confusion in regards to the "private placement". Private placement refers to the funding, it has nothing to do with sourcing the deal. This was offered publically, but the seller instructed the broker that if possible to get an offer from a valid buyer before the craziness of a call, to do it. Not every seller wants to get tied up in negotiations with 6 parties highest and best.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 21 2018, 14:21

Congrats !!!!!!!! Happy investing.

User Stats

Votes
Ben Leybovich
Votes |
Replied Aug 21 2018, 14:25

Thanks, @Donald S. I try to be cordial, even when I tell someone they are stupid. But, I agree, the trolling thing got a bit annoying for a minute...I am glad it looks like we've got it under control.

There is a lesson to learn here - some people value their time in this life for so little as to engage in this type of a discourse. That, to me, is unbelievable.

Pay it forward. Do good. Help people. Enjoy sharing the intellectual worth with people. It comes back ten-fold.

@Chris Clothier and I have disagreed more than we agreed over the years. Perhaps because of this, it was especially nice, Chris, when you were the first to step in...thank you!

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Rhonda Wilson
  • Tacoma, WA
Votes |
  • Tacoma, WA
Replied Aug 21 2018, 14:35

Congratulations! I love the look of it both in terms of the open courtyard and swimming pool. Also the apartment you show looks like it's open concept which is fantastic. 

User Stats

Votes
Ali Hashemi
  • Investor
  • Southern Indiana, IN
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Southern Indiana, IN
Replied Aug 21 2018, 14:37

Congrats @Ben Leybovich and @Sam Grooms !

Very cool to see how the big boys swing.  Well done

User Stats

Votes
Rhonda Wilson
  • Tacoma, WA
Votes |
  • Tacoma, WA
Replied Aug 21 2018, 14:53

@Ben Leybovich You wrote "Jay, statistically it costs on the average about $1,000 per door per annum less to run multifamily in the South-West than Mid-West."

I'm really intrigued by this. Do you happen to have a study or reference? I'm not doubting it. Up in the Washington and Oregon I get really tired of dealing with mold in apartments. It's difficult to prevent and expensive to fix. It also seems that roofs will last longer in a dry climate. 

We are thinking of investing with the southwest next go around and would love to know that our costs will go down on these line items.

User Stats

Votes
Ben Leybovich
Votes |
Replied Aug 21 2018, 15:34
Originally posted by @Ali Hashemi:

Congrats @Ben Leybovich and @Sam Grooms !

Very cool to see how the big boys swing.  Well done

What you don't see, Ali, are the hard knock and bloody knuckles...just keep that in mind :(

I am all for the excitement on this thread. And I am all for the motivation we are spreading. I just want to temper that with a pinch of reality...

What Sam and I are doing today belongs in the big boys' sphere. But, we've eaten a lot of proverbial **** to swing this way :)

Thank you, indeed!

User Stats

Votes
Ben Leybovich
Votes |
Replied Aug 21 2018, 15:38
Originally posted by @Rhonda Wilson:

@Ben Leybovich You wrote "Jay, statistically it costs on the average about $1,000 per door per annum less to run multifamily in the South-West than Mid-West."

I'm really intrigued by this. Do you happen to have a study or reference? I'm not doubting it. Up in the Washington and Oregon I get really tired of dealing with mold in apartments. It's difficult to prevent and expensive to fix. It also seems that roofs will last longer in a dry climate. 

We are thinking of investing with the southwest next go around and would love to know that our costs will go down on these line items.

Hah yup. IREM report - google it :) Although, on the small scale it won't do you much good because the numbers are different. These are apartment stats.

User Stats

Votes
Manuel Angeles
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Aug 21 2018, 15:50

@Ben Leybovich

This is awesome !

Congratulations !

#Goals !

What was acquisition price ?

What is projected disposition value ?

Was 100% of acquisition and improvement costs coming from raised capital?

Or did you have a lender provide lion's share of costs as debt, then raise the remaining capital as equity ?

Account Closed
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York, NY
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • New York, NY
Replied Aug 21 2018, 16:14

@Ben Leybovich Congratulations to you and @Sam Grooms! Officially time for me to book some flights for @Mike Acri and myself to come celebrate in person :)

User Stats

Votes
Ben Leybovich
Votes |
Replied Aug 21 2018, 16:27
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

@Ben Leybovich Congratulations to you and @Sam Grooms! Officially time for me to book some flights for @Mike Acri and myself to come celebrate in person :)

Absolutely! 

User Stats

Votes
Favour Aboh
  • Contractor
  • London, England
Votes |
  • Contractor
  • London, England
Replied Aug 21 2018, 17:03
@Ben Leybovich Congratulations that was a great move

User Stats

Votes
Adam Mauck
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Phoenix, AZ
Replied Aug 21 2018, 17:08

Congratulations!  I'm a native Phoenician and have been investing here for the last 25 years.  It looks like a great property in an obviously hot market, pardon the pun.  Can I ask what part of town and approx. price per unit?  I have been looking for something similar for a while now. On top of a great looking property you bought from a non institutional owner which is fantastic. 

Thanks,

Adam

Rental Home Council logo
Rental Home Council
|
Sponsored
Advocating for Single-Family Rental Housing Drive rental policy change. Protect your investments with a National Rental Home Council membership.

User Stats

Votes
Ben Leybovich
Votes |
Replied Aug 21 2018, 17:38
Originally posted by @Adam Mauck:

Congratulations!  I'm a native Phoenician and have been investing here for the last 25 years.  It looks like a great property in an obviously hot market, pardon the pun.  Can I ask what part of town and approx. price per unit?  I have been looking for something similar for a while now. On top of a great looking property you bought from a non institutional owner which is fantastic. 

Thanks,

Adam, we paid $8.15 for this. 98 units, so a tad over $83,000 per door. I had to break out my calculator because I realized that I didn't know the per unit price...not really important to me all that much :)

Interestingly, I am not bothered by the "hotnes", either temperature or Cap Rates. Actually, I am enjoying both :)

User Stats

Votes
Replied Aug 21 2018, 17:47

Wow! That's a lot..Congratulations.

User Stats

Votes
Lamont Marable
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Waldorf, MD
Votes |
  • Real Estate Investor
  • Waldorf, MD
Replied Aug 21 2018, 18:09
@Ben Leybovich I would love to see what that “bug picture” looks like!! I hope it’s colorful. Lol!!! Great job!! Just give me some time I’ll be right behind you or beside you.