512% cash-on-cash return on one rental using BRRR strategy

512% cash-on-cash return on one rental using BRRR strategy

Flipper/Rehabber · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 119 posts · 121 votes

Hi BP,

Wanted to share a successful BRRR deal I finished recently, it was actually my first time using the BRRR strategy instead of just flipping the house and I must say I am hooked. Also, the title of this post can be a little confusing or unrealistic to those who don't know what the BRRR strategy entails, those who are versed in it likely immediately realized the reason the cash-on-cash was so high was that such a small amount of my capital was left in the deal after the refinance.

If you scroll below you can see photos of the finished product.

Here are the details:

I bought a property that had on it 2 detached single family homes on 1 tax lot, the city and the bank recognized it as a duplex even though it technically isn't a duplex. I paid $200k using private money to fund the entire purchase price. I spent about $75-80k renovating the front and back unit completely with new everything. My all-in cost after all of the renovation cost, financing cost, utilities, refinance fees and closing costs was about $305,000. After renovation was complete, I rented out one unit for $1,650 and the other for $1,500 for a combined $3,150 per month on a 12-month lease. Total cash flow after accounting for PITI expenses ONLY is $1,282 per month. The yield would obviously be a little lower after accounting for vacancy, capex, PM but 1) for the time being I am self-managing and 2) the property is fully renovated and turnkey so capex should be very minimal for the first few years at least.

The bank appraised the property at $440,000 and allowed me to do a cash-out-refinance at 70% loan-to-value. I took out the full 70% which came out to $308,000, leaving roughly $3,000 of my own cash into the deal.

When you look at this deal through a cash-on-cash analysis the yield looks insanely high but what that analysis fails to account for is the amount of equity I left in the deal. That equity could have been cashed out and put to use if I flipped the property but instead is parked in this rental property so there is some opportunity cost there that brings my true yield down further if you factor it in to calculate the return on equity. However, if I had cashed out I would have to pay the capital gains tax on the earnings. It was a hard decision trying to decide which way to take this deal and ultimately decided to make a long-term play on it and keep it, I think I will thank myself for it in the future. 

43Reply
207 views

Most Popular Reply

Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
8y

there are no deals on the west coast you must be making this up !!!   :)

See this reply in the discussion

91 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Clovis, NM · Member since 2018 · 118 posts · 55 votes
    8y

    Awesome success! This is exactly what they are trying to educate us on. May I ask where you got your lead?

  • Member since 2018 · 62 posts · 25 votes
    8y

    How did you find this deal? Were the rest of the houses in the neighborhood much nicer than this one? What made you feel this deal would work?

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    there are no deals on the west coast you must be making this up !!!   :)

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Portland, OR · Member since 2014 · 119 posts · 121 votes
    8y

    @Kevin Sack @Will Parker The deal was sourced off-market. The houses in the rest of the neighborhood were mostly nicer. I knew the deal would work out because I was confident in my numbers, the area is where I also live so I know the values really well. The only uncertainty was what the bank's appraisal would come in at, which would dictate how much money I could pull out. Had the appraisal not been high enough then the house would have been a great flip as well so multiple exit strategies there. 

    @Jay Hinrichs They are definitely hard to come by on the west coast but when you find them they are pretty sweet 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    8y

    I was pulling your leg as you can probably tell.. job well done..

  • Rental Property Investor · East Wenatchee, WA · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 16k+ votes
    8y

    Nicely done!

    Not to be a downer, but 512% of $305k is a lot of money, like $1.5M.  I was thinking you put a little in, then got 5x back.  You're calculations are post R.  Gotcha

    I did one in '15.  $8800 down seller-financed. $800 in 'renovations' LOL.  Took out $36k last year.  That's why the 5x got my attention here.  

    Well done!  Looks like a fantastic property!

  • Member since 2018 · 42 posts · 5 votes
    8y

    what’s a cash out refinance?

  • Real Estate Agent · Arlington, TX · Member since 2017 · 107 posts · 60 votes
    8y

    Great job. Looks good!

  • Investor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    8y

    If your all in is $305k and you took out $308k... doesn't that mean net you cashed out $3k rather than having put net $3k in?

    In that case your cash on cash return would be -512%.

    A negative cash on cash return is usually a bad thing but if your cash in is negative then it is great!

  • Investor · Deridder, LA · Member since 2014 · 298 posts · 185 votes
    8y

    @Omid A. 

    Looks like there is around 44k worth of equity that you could tap via a HELOC to use on your next deal(s).

    ($440k * .10 = 44k making combined LTV 80%)

    We have been doing this on our BRRRR Deals to continue growing our Line of Credit to allow us to get into bigger deals, flips, private lending, notes ect... for multiple streams of income.

    Just another idea.  Hope this helps.

    Jeff V

  • Member since 2016 · 13k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    8y

    Just be cautious when basing value on equity. Equity does not exist until you pull it out or sell. Until then it is nothing more than bragging rights and can vanish in a instant with a down turn in the markets.

    Be warned not to count your chicks before they are hatched.

    Count it but never count on it.

  • Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2016 · 43 posts · 36 votes
    8y

    For those struggling with the 512%, here it is:

    Cash-on-cash is calculated as (Annual Income)/(Cash Invested). @Omid A. said he's getting $1,282/month in income. That's $15,384/year. He said he's left $3,000 of his own money in the deal.

    $15,384/$3,000 = 5.128, or 512.8% CoC return.

    What I'm not seeing is how you left $3k in the deal. You said all-in is $305k, but you took out $308k from the loan. Didn't you actually get paid to own this property? 

  • Developer · Seattle, WA · Member since 2018 · 90 posts · 47 votes
    8y

    Another question - you said income is 1.2k/month before the cash-out refi, how did that change once you pulled your cash out and wrapped it into a new loan?

  • Real Estate Broker · IL · Member since 2016 · 284 posts · 178 votes
    8y

    Awesome!! Congrats! What color of paint did you use in the living rooms? The place looks sharp!

  • Flipper/Rehabber · NV · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Congrats on your deal. I wholesaled a similar type of deal to a rehabber who uses the same type of strategy...so I know it works. Awesome job on your deal

  • Rental Property Investor · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2016 · 7 posts · 5 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Jeff V.:

    @Omid A. 

    Looks like there is around 44k worth of equity that you could tap via a HELOC to use on your next deal(s).

    ($440k * .10 = 44k making combined LTV 80%)

    We have been doing this on our BRRRR Deals to continue growing our Line of Credit to allow us to get into bigger deals, flips, private lending, notes ect... for multiple streams of income.

    Just another idea.  Hope this helps.

    Jeff V

    Jeff could you please share who you HELOC your rentals with? I'm struggling to find a lender that will HELOC my investment properties at higher than 60% LTV

  • Rental Property Investor · Madison, AL · Member since 2018 · 60 posts · 33 votes
    8y

    @Jeff V. you mentioned a great finance strategy by using remaining equity to obtain a HELOC. curious to understand your experience with HELOC and what investor friendly lenders you have worked with? So far, i have only inquired with big banks and all have turned me down when they found out i was trying to obtain a HELOC on an investment property.

  • Realtor · Chattanooga, TN · Member since 2018 · 34 posts · 36 votes
    8y

    Thanks for sharing! This is something I have been trying to figure out after listening to the podcasts. So essentially, this works if you have a private lender to start, right? So I guess you just buy the property and do the repairs in cash, get it rented to show income, and then get the cash out refi from the bank to pay the private lender off and have some cash left over to reinvest?

  • Member since 2018 · 84 posts · 28 votes
    8y

    Very cool, man! That work looks very professional and well done. Thanks for sharing! 

  • Rental Property Investor · West Bend, WI · Member since 2015 · 931 posts · 598 votes
    8y

    That 512% looks impressive, but i have yet to meet anyone that can spend %'s I have some that are Way better by your standards then, one of my more recent deals I paid $7K for the property spent $27K on the rehab paid for it using a line of credit I have against other properties i own, got an appraisal of $92K have a renter at $870/mo and did a cash out at $50K (banker would give me 75% but i dont need it) so if i have none of my money in the deal, and i pushed the value up $58K whats my COC? Infinite right? or not calculateable?

    Be very careful with this though, if you have shorter term financing like I do prepare for a down turn, I have no idea how much values fluctuate in your market, and if your note need to be renewed in a down market, you better have enough equity, or a pile of cash to bring in, I have seen many investors collapse because they harvested too much equity, I limit my portfolio to 40% LTV, im running about 35% on 21 properties right now, so i feel pretty safe, I was through the last crash and saw some guys i thought had it figured out crash and burn, just a word of warning.

  • Member since 2017 · 1 post · 2 votes
    8y

    Congratulations! But if your cost is in total $305000 and you have pull out $308000, you don't have any equity in the deal. 

    Am I missing something? 

  • Member since 2018 · 84 posts · 28 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Nancy Lucca:

    what’s a cash out refinance?

     You may have already found the answer on here but since no one responded, I'll do my best to explain. 

    The short and simple is refinancing a property and taking the excess cash out from the loan. 

    Example: You own an asset that is worth $100,000 and you currently owe $50,000. You find a bank to refinance the loan for $100,000 and give you $50,000 (less closing costs, fees, etc). The reason it's so popular as a part of the BRRRR strategy is that if you can buy and rehab a property for 'X' and increase the value to 'X+renovations+increased value' then you can take the new assessed value and refinance, take the cash and do it again to another property.

    Hope that makes sense... And helps! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Woodcliff Lake, NJ · Member since 2017 · 42 posts · 26 votes
    8y

    Hi Omid. Great post and good job!

    You think you can break down for everyone here the itemized costs that totaled near $25,000? Purchase price was $200k, $80k for renovations and your all in cost was $305k leaving about $25k that went to closing costs, refinance fees, etc. Can you itemize those for us? 

  • Real Estate Investor · Anaheim, CA · Member since 2012 · 6 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    Thanks for sharing the story and struggle with us. It is encouraging us to do this! Yes, such deals are hard to find but "diamonds" are never found at the surface. No gain without pain is the principal that always needs to be reminded of. Job well done Omid.

  • Homeowner · Aurora, CO · Member since 2017 · 74 posts · 28 votes
    8y

    Great return and beautiful properties. Congrats on the good work!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.