Washington, DC Success Story - SFH, Vacation rental

Washington, DC Success Story - SFH, Vacation rental

Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 26 votes

I have two main goals of posting today 1) To let folks know that it is possible to successfully invest in higher priced cities with little money out of pocket, and 2) To build relationships so that I can partner with other individuals and acquire properties that perform at or above a 12 percent Cash on Cash return (whether through private lending or a structured partnership).

Since moving to Washington, DC six years ago, one of my major goals was to break into the RE investing space with a buy and hold property. With the costs to enter this market, this proved to be easier said than done; however, five months ago, I successfully bought, renovated, and rented my first DC property.

Here is that story-

Before getting further, I have another property in Pittsburgh, so I had some experience going in that made this possible. That post can be seen here:

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/223/topics/37...

I had been looking for a property in DC for a few months, probably searching and quickly running the numbers on over 1,000 condos and SFHs online and personally viewing ~30 houses/ units. The market is expensive, so the numbers really have to work as an investment. For that reason, I was only viewing three and four bedroom units as rents could cover (and hopefully exceed) the various expenses. I found a SFH in the Columbia Heights neighborhood listed at $625,000 three bed (and an English basement), three full bed and acted. It's a 10-minute walk to the subway and accessible to many restaurants, shops, bars, and I would call it a B+ neighborhood.

As an aside, it's nearly impossible to get a small multi here. Bigger fish investors pay higher than asking and cash for those properties. Short of getting inside information, I was priced out of that often profitable market.

Eventually, the agents, owner and I worked out a deal where I would pay $635,000 for the property, but he would cover $35,000 in closing costs along with some repairs before I moved in. This was advantageous because I could put down less liquid capital. I also bought through an FHA loan, so I ended up spending only ~$25,000 to acquire this property.

Time for the renovation - the two upstairs floors were manageable; time, effort, a lot of paint, and some minor fixes (thanks YouTube!) got the three bed, two bath rent ready. However, the basement was a disaster - asbestos floors, some plumbing and appliance issues, holes in the wall, etc. It was almost a complete gut job. However, in the end I think it turned out great!

Overall, I spent ~$15,000 to renovate the entire house. This does not include the many, many hours I put in myself, but it was well worth the time and effort after it was all said and done (while working a full time job I might add).

Today, on a per month basis, I collect roughly $6,000 -$7,000 in rent and have on average $4,000 in expenses - not a bad cash on cash return. This includes the $1,300 I "pay" myself to live in one of the bedrooms (that's what I was renting at before). And utilities are split four ways to keep expenses low.

One major advantage to living in such a transient, tourist-popular destination is the money I have made through AirBnB and other vacation rental sites. I rent out the English basement and one of the upstairs bedrooms on these platforms. Some months, I am getting 2.5x the amount of income from a traditional long term tenant. Yes, there are more costs such as furnishing, cleaning, management, etc., and I do most of the cleaning myself (but have used crews when I cannot get out of the office), but the profits far outweigh any costs or time I put in.

Thank you for listening to my story and if you have any questions, would like to dig into the numbers more or see pictures, please feel free to message me. I look forward to the community’s feedback and meeting like-minded people!

-Chris Mylan

0Reply
36 views

Most Popular Reply

WASHINGTON, DC · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 4 votes
9y
Hey Chris! My wife and I recently bought a 2 unit flat in June 2016 in Washington DC SE. I am amazed at how you were able to find such an amazing deal in that area! I stay on realtor.com and mostly all multifamilies are in SE, well the more reasonable ones..haha I would love to eventually get something in NE or NW. But we will see. Thank you so much for sharing your story! BTW, using airbnb is awesome! I know first hand about it. We have an unfinished basement in our multi family and hopefully we can get that finished and use airbnb. A person can really make money with that. Again, thanks for sharing your success story. Maybe one day, we can do business together!
See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I'm in the same boat in DC and the inventory in CH is pretty limited. Was the house listed on the usual websites?

  • Investor · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2017 · 12 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Hey Chris, looks like you and I have traded places. I worked my w-2 job in the D.C. area for 25 years and have since returned to Pittsburgh. I wish I'd played the RE market there (Northern VA) better, but I wasn't into real estate investing at the time. I'm currently looking at the South Side Flats for maybe an Airbnb setup. Anyway, congrats on your success and much luck going forward.

  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 26 votes
    9y

    @Adi Lutvich Yea, unfortunately Columbia Heights is a popular place right now. You really only see totally rehabbed $700,000+ places, or total shells for $500,000.

    I found this one on Realtor.com, but I never got a response from the listing agent. I literally walked to the front door and starting talking to the owner to get things moving.

    @Account Closed Thanks Bobby - I would love to move back to Pitt in a few years, just have to build the foundation here first. There's a couple nice BRRRR options down there now that probably need $30k - $40k worth of work if you're looking for a project like that. Good luck to you as well!

  • Washington, DC · Member since 2017 · 2 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    I'll have to check Realtor.com, I don't see anything under $1M on Redfin. 

    edit: ok much more on Realtor.com, thanks!

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Adi Lutvich:

    I'll have to check Realtor.com, I don't see anything under $1M on Redfin. 

    edit: ok much more on Realtor.com, thanks!

    Realtor.com and Redfin will have the same things listed. They are each 3rd party syndications of MRIS, our local MLS.

    Great job. Not only is it possible to invest here in the DC area....you will ultimately make much more money investing here.  If you buy an asset that is in high demand, that demand couples with a low supply will push the price of that asset up, whatever the asset is.  Housing in high demand areas of our metro area will make you a lot of money based on the simple economic forces of supply and demand.

  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 60 posts · 26 votes
    9y

    @Chris Mylan  --Congrats on making it into the DC market--a most competitive market at the moment. And Wow only $15K to renovate the entire house--impressive! We looked at a house in Columbia Heights a few yrs ago and it needed way too much work inside and out so we never went fwd. But that is awesome if you can do some of it yourself. And very smart w/renting out the other rooms and doing Airbnb for the unit downstairs. Definitely having a 2 unit is the way to go though extremely hard to come by and competitive. Anymore plans to buy more anytime soon? For us, we feel it's just way too competitive right now w/the bidding wars, we're going to just sit it out.

  • Investor · Washington, DC · Member since 2014 · 39 posts · 26 votes
    9y

    @Sara N. - Thank you for the kind words. I'm always looking and attending open houses to see if I can get a bargain somewhere, but it looks like I will be waiting it out over the Spring and Summer, as well. Too much competition this time of year with flippers and the margins on deals are already tight to begin with in DC.

    The only exception I'll make is if I can find a condo or a one/two bed house that would allow vacation rentals. I know most HOAs do not allow such a thing, and as you said, competition makes this difficult, but it really makes the numbers work in one's favor if you have the time and know how to operate that system.

    Until then, I'll be enjoying the spring weather and I hope you do the same!

  • WASHINGTON, DC · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Hey Chris! My wife and I recently bought a 2 unit flat in June 2016 in Washington DC SE. I am amazed at how you were able to find such an amazing deal in that area! I stay on realtor.com and mostly all multifamilies are in SE, well the more reasonable ones..haha I would love to eventually get something in NE or NW. But we will see. Thank you so much for sharing your story! BTW, using airbnb is awesome! I know first hand about it. We have an unfinished basement in our multi family and hopefully we can get that finished and use airbnb. A person can really make money with that. Again, thanks for sharing your success story. Maybe one day, we can do business together!
  • WASHINGTON, DC · Member since 2014 · 27 posts · 4 votes
    9y
    Chris Mylan
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.