Vacation Rental Success in Breckenridge, CO

Vacation Rental Success in Breckenridge, CO

Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 10 votes

For anyone looking to get paid to own a vacation home feel free to read on.

I've lived and skied in Breckenridge, Colorado for the past 12 years. I work in property management and manage 2 large multi-family properties. A few years ago, I bought my first investment property - a condo in Breckenridge. The condo turned out to be a great investment, and after a few years, I was ready to make a bigger and better investment.

I sought the advice from my friend and realtor, @Matt M.   He is always looking for investment opportunities and ways to help others make money. We began looking for investment properties in Denver and Summit County. I really wanted to find a vacation home, and after searching, we realized the Denver market was too tight for the kind of investment I was looking to make. After running multiple scenarios and discussing my end-goals for the investment, we shifted our focus to a vacation home in Breckenridge that could sleep at least 12 people (the more people a home can sleep, the more money nightly rent your can charge). Matt assured me this strategy would give me the most return on my money, and it has.

It took almost a year before we found the right investment property. In summer of 2016, I closed on a 5 bedroom, 4 bathroom, duplex-zoned home that sleeps 16 people. One thing that makes this such a great investment property is that the home has options. I can lock the basement off from the upper two-levels and rent the two units out separately. I also have the option of converting the space above the garage to a studio apartment and renting that out for $1,200/month.

Since the purchase I've booked 43 nights already at an average of $1100 per night, for a gross profit of  $46,700.    This property pays my mortgage and leaves me with plenty of gravy left over. This is just my first year owning the property.  Once the property becomes more well-known, I fully expect to net $90,000 per year. Another bonus to my rental strategy is all the food and booze that renters leave behind. Believe it or not, this significantly cuts down on my grocery budget. 


Going forward, I'm going to continue to build my reserves, buy a similar property, and continue this cycle until I'm wealthy and retired in Belize.

5Reply
33 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Littleton, CO · Member since 2013 · 197 posts · 77 votes
9y

Nice, way to go, Great Job, nice NOI!

P.S. toss the 1/2 used Milk, you never know if they drank straight from the bottle.

LOL

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Littleton, CO · Member since 2013 · 197 posts · 77 votes
    9y

    Nice, way to go, Great Job, nice NOI!

    P.S. toss the 1/2 used Milk, you never know if they drank straight from the bottle.

    LOL

  • Bill S.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    I love seeing all the creative ways people make money with RE. Nice job and I'm sure it really helps being local. 

  • Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Bill S.:

    I love seeing all the creative ways people make money with RE. Nice job and I'm sure it really helps being local. 

     Being local and doing his own PM saves 35%+!!!

    Glad the place is working out for you @John D.. Let me know when you're ready to find another;) And I'll let you know when I need a place to stay up there again!

  • Lender · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @John D.:

    ...until I'm wealthy and retired in Belize.

    Why would you retire anywhere other than Breckenridge? 

    Congrats - I'm going to go convince my wife that we should do this too

  • CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @John D.

    how much did you pay for this place? can i ask?

  • Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Jason Hirko:
    Originally posted by @John D.:

    ...until I'm wealthy and retired in Belize.

    Why would you retire anywhere other than Breckenridge? 

    Congrats - I'm going to go convince my wife that we should do this too

     Well Sir,  I've always said I retired at the age of 21 when I moved up to Breckenridge.   But after a decade+ of shoveling snow in one capacity or another, I know I would rather be by the beach when I'm 60.    Summer's are great though!   

  • Mindy JensenPro Member
    BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    9y

    @John D. I'd love to see numbers.

    I regret not buying something back in 2012 when I first moved out to CO. Boy those prices back then...

    Also, how close to the lifts/slopes is your property? Would renters have to drive to the big lot in the middle of town or are you on a bus route? 

    LOVE Breck.

  • Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    4200 square feet

    890k Purchase Price

    20k in immediate exterior renovations, painting and bringing the home up to rental standards.

    And like I said, lock off the basement, build a 500 square foot lock off in the attic and the home becomes a an apartment.   Now 6 months later I'm confident I could list it for 1.2 million but plan to hold for a decade.

  • Saskatchewan, Saskatchewan · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Mindy Jensen:

    @John D., I'm with @Diane G. I'd love to see numbers.

    I regret not buying something back in 2012 when I first moved out to CO. Boy those prices back then...

    Also, how close to the lifts/slopes is your property? Would renters have to drive to the big lot in the middle of town or are you on a bus route? 

    LOVE Breck.

    It is a 5-10 minute drive to town, and yes you would park at the big lots  for the gondola.   We are on the bus route should you want a night on the town.

  • Investor · Rochester, WA · Member since 2013 · 221 posts · 30 votes
    9y

    That is awesome. We have been exploring a vacation rental as well. Our kids are still young so we would use it quite a bit.

    How much downturn will you see winter months compared to summer?

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Frisco, CO · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    In Breckenridge, around 75-80% of your rental income will come in the winter and 20-25% in the summer.  I've sold a number of investment properties in Breckenridge.  

  • Highland Village, TX · Member since 2016 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    @Amy Nakosl I’m in Dallas, TX and visited Breck area over last Spring Break in 2019. Best Snow Ever! We really liked the Frisco area a lot too. What’s the investment market like there? Exploring opportunities. Seems like Frisco would be good area to target.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.