Looking for help in analyzing a very big deal.

Looking for help in analyzing a very big deal.

Investor · Spokane, WA · Member since 2012 · 71 posts · 24 votes

I've been stuck in a bit of analysis paralysis the last 24 hours, and it's driving me nuts.  I've never purchased a deal this big.

Here's the basic deal:

I have the option to purchase 6 almost identical duplexes as a package for $770k.  Each duplex is two units, each unit is 2 bed, 1 bath.  (Two of the duplexes have a garage as well, the others car ports.)  Total of 12 units, as a result.

With recent market upticks, they should rent for $800/mo/unit.  They're currently rented at closer to $650/mo each.  I have not used a property manager in the past, but the one that came recommended to me has offered to, if I take the deal, work for free until they're brought up to market rent, which he said is $775-825, because he's very confident in it.  His rate is 8% of the rent and half the first month.  He says it is in good condition and each unit will take between $2-5k in cleanup (mostly carpet, paint).   I'm going to just estimate $40k in repairs and consider this a $810k purchase.

I have not personally walked through yet, but the property manager did (he came recommended by the broker, who walked the property manager through with him).

The seller will finance $120k of the duplex package at 5% interest.

The recommendation I've received is: buy it using hard money for 85% of the purchase price and the seller finance for the other 15%.  Then get the rents raised, and refinance (either in a commercial loan as a package, or conventional) away the debts.  That will get me all of the units with 100% of the purchase price financed, and I'm only out the repair costs.  Downside?  $20k in points on the hard money (3 points on $650k).

I keep going over the numbers again and again and I can't decide if this is a great deal or average.  I've always done single family homes before.

The numbers look good to me, but the margins are slim- then I look at maintenance since there's 6 properties with 6 roofs, and I question myself.

I crunched all the numbers, and if I take purchase price + points + rehab costs I get $835k.  

Total monthly rent: $9600

Total monthly costs: $3097.67   (taxes + insurance + utilities + management + 3% vacancy)

Total net: $6502

Total net @ 5% vacancy + 5% maintenance: $5830.

Estimated mortgage payment (100% financed @ 5.5% interest): $4798

Total take home:  $1704 w/o maintenance, $1032 with 5% maintenance.  (Is 5% enough?)

Analysis methods:

1% rule: Pass. Comparing to single family homes...if you take out the utilities ($190/mo), you get a net (before tax/insurance) of $1410/mo.  By the 1% rule, I can pay up to $141k per building .  Each building would cost $139k after points and rehab.

50% rule: Fail.  The 50% rule is to assume taxes/insurance/vacancy/maintenance/property management is 50% of the income.  After subtracting utilities, the principal/interest is slightly more than 50%, which means slightly underwater.

Basic ROI: Pass. If I'm out of pocket $40k, to make (after vacancy/maintenance) $1032/mo, I'm making a 31% return on my $40k.  That's pretty good.

PITI-to-income: On my SFH's, which I BRRR on, I usually get numbers like 900/mo rent on 600/mo payments, or a 1.5x ratio. On this property, it's $6.5k rent on a $5k mortgage, or a 1.3x ratio. Slimmer than I like.

Cap Rate Analysis: If I add up all the rents, and subtract all the costs, take the net with vacancy and maintenance, and divide the total NOI at 7% cap rate, I get a value of $166.5k per building. I would obtain each building at $139k (after points + rehab). I am getting the building for 84 cents on the dollar based on this. I normally target 75 cents on the dollar.

However, I haven't used property management on my SFH's. When I look at the last two- PITI-to-income and Cap Rate analysis- the numbers actually look identical to my SFH's if you take out the property manager. (1.4x ratio and 73 cents on the dollar- value rises with less expenses in cap rate analysis.) So maybe I should expect this slimmer ratio because I'm using a property manager, and I'm being too picky.

Last negative issue: holding costs. With hard money + owner finance + HELOC fees for my rehab money, holding costs will be $6108/mo. However, rent will not be at market initially, which means I'll be losing money for the first few months until we get up to market rents, and then I'll be barely breaking even or taking a slight loss until I get the refi. And I'll be praying that the duplexes appraise well enough to refi most of it.

What is BP's thoughts on this?  Am I overanalyzing a solid deal that requires almost no work on my part (property manager will clean up the units and move in new tenants), or rushing to grab a deal that isn't much better than retail?

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · La Vernia, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 865 votes
9y

@Chris H.

Sorry, my bad.  You are right Income should be "12" * $650/$800.

I am still concerned you are using too many assumptions in your analysis. I understand your reluctance to using the 50% rule for expenses. However, until you can verify the current owners expenses to justify anything less it is prudent to remain conservative in your analysis. Do you have any of their expense data? T12, rent rolls, expense reports? If not how did you arrive at $3,098 for total expenses?

Here is what I would want to see broken down:

Current Monthly Income = $7,800

Vacancy 3% or 5% (What is it really?) = $234 or $390

PM 8% = $624 (I know you don't have to pay it)

CapEx ?? (Recommend 10%) = $780

Repair/Maintenance 5% = $390

Tax ??

Insurance ??

Utilities ?? (Any owner responsible)

Miscellaneous ??  (Recommend 5%)  (Lawn care/snow removal, legal, accounting, marketing, pest control, etc)

You still did not provide the current owners NOI. I would use that and your 7% Cap Rate to calculate offer price. In lue of not having it I would use my conservative (50% rule) NOI.

Offer price = $46,800 annual NOI ($3,900 * 12) / .07 = $668,571.43.

You say you are concerned about the slim margins even after rent increases. I still would not pursue this deal based on your numbers. It seems to me you have not developed your investment criteria for properties that you want to purchase. Things like minimum Cash Flow (i.e. $100 per unit per month) and COCROI (for me that's 10% plus). Speaking of COCROI. Think you left out a key amount in your calculations to get 31%. This is like a BRRRR purchase/Refinance in that you need to include the negative Cash Flow (Holding costs) because that is coming out of your pocket prior to the Refinancing. So you might want to reevaluate that.

Chris please remember the saying  "don't fall in love with the property ...fall in love with the numbers!"  It sounds like you do not love the numbers.  Just saying!

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · La Vernia, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 865 votes
    9y

    Howdy @Chris H.

    Analysis Paralysis is right.  I feel your head ache already.  Your numbers are all over the place.  Too much information can be a bad thing.

    To me you the first thing you need to do is have your Broker help you establish a legitimate Market Value. Either by getting comps to compare with an individual Duplex price. Or finding the current Cap Rate and GRM for the area to determine price.

    What is the current NOI?

    Where did you get 7% Cap Rate?

    What are current rents for each unit?

    What are your your financing numbers? (Hard Money, HELOC, Seller Finance) Amounts, interest rates, term length. Expected monthly payments,

    What is your estimated Holding time?

    Are all units currently occupied?  If so how will you handle the Rehab?

    Analyzing the Cash Flow with what you have provided looks like this to me:

    Income = $650 (current rent rates) * 6 = $3,900

    Expenses (50% rule) = $3,900 * .50 = $1,950

    NOI = $3,900 - $ 1,950 = $1,950

    Cash Flow = $1,950 - $4,798 (your estimated mortgage payment?) = -$2,848.  Yikes!

    Is your estimated mortgage payment really $4,798?  Please break it down.  The financing is what really scares me.

  • Investor · Spokane, WA · Member since 2012 · 71 posts · 24 votes
    9y

    Originally posted by @John Leavelle:

    Howdy @Chris H.

    Analysis Paralysis is right.  I feel your head ache already.  Your numbers are all over the place.  Too much information can be a bad thing.

    To me you the first thing you need to do is have your Broker help you establish a legitimate Market Value. Either by getting comps to compare with an individual Duplex price. Or finding the current Cap Rate and GRM for the area to determine price.

    What is the current NOI?

    Where did you get 7% Cap Rate?

    What are current rents for each unit?

    What are your your financing numbers? (Hard Money, HELOC, Seller Finance) Amounts, interest rates, term length. Expected monthly payments,

    What is your estimated Holding time?

    Are all units currently occupied?  If so how will you handle the Rehab?

    Analyzing the Cash Flow with what you have provided looks like this to me:

    Income = $650 (current rent rates) * 6 = $3,900

    Expenses (50% rule) = $3,900 * .50 = $1,950

    NOI = $3,900 - $ 1,950 = $1,950

    Cash Flow = $1,950 - $4,798 (your estimated mortgage payment?) = -$2,848.  Yikes!

    Is your estimated mortgage payment really $4,798?  Please break it down.  The financing is what really scares me.

    I'm estimating what the property's value would be at a 7% cap rate, which is around standard here. So, NOI (ignoring financing) divided by 0.07 tells me the value at a 7% cap rate. By this metric, I'm paying about 85% of the value of the property.

    The current rents are $650/mo.  They can be raised to $800/mo; the property manager that came recommended to me guaranteed at least $775, free management until raised to that rate.

    At time of purchase, my financing would be:

    15% seller finance- $120k @ 5% interest only - $500/mo

    85% hard money- $650k @ 10% interest and 3 points - $5,416/mo

    Any work/rehab needed- estimating $40k @ 5.5% interest (HELOC) - $183/mo

    I do have some cash, but I'm going to put it all on the HELOC for the number crunching.

    So we're looking at $6,100/mo with initial financing.  After raising the rents, I would refinance with a bank.   A 30-year, $840k mortgage @ 5.5% interest would be a $4798/mo payment (ignoring taxes/insurance since those are already in the numbers).

    "What is your estimated holding time?"

    However long it takes to get all tenants up to $800/mo.  They are month to month.

    "Are all units currently occupied? If so how will you handle the Rehab?"

    Most of the tenants are month to month.  Raise the rents.  If the tenants opt to move out, perform the rehab.

    "Analyzing the Cash Flow with what you have provided looks like this to me:

    Income = $650 (current rent rates) * 6 = $3,900"

    There's a mistake here- it's 6 duplexes, so income is $650 * 6 * 2 = $7800.

    But there's free property management until each unit gets to $800.  $800 * 6 * 2 = $9600.

    So: using the 50% rule:

    Income: $7800 initial, $9600 later

    Expenses: $3900 initial, $4800 later (this is why I don't like the 50% rule...this doesn't make sense)

    NOI: $3900 initial, $4800 later

    With initial financing, both are loses, but with refi'd financing, the second one is break-even.

    This is why I don't like the 50% rule; raising the income won't raise most of the expenses.  By the numbers I actually entered, we're looking at $2000 or so income after the refi, assuming 100% financing but not including maintenance/vacancy.

  • Johnson City, TN · Member since 2014 · 586 posts · 705 votes
    9y

    where are you getting a 85% hard money loan?

  • Investor · Spokane, WA · Member since 2012 · 71 posts · 24 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    where are you getting a 85% hard money loan?

     Local lender.  Is willing to lend 85% in this case as he agrees that it will be worth more with the rents raised.

  • Johnson City, TN · Member since 2014 · 586 posts · 705 votes
    9y

    You have found an outstanding lender!

  • Investor · La Vernia, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 865 votes
    9y

    @Chris H.

    Sorry, my bad.  You are right Income should be "12" * $650/$800.

    I am still concerned you are using too many assumptions in your analysis. I understand your reluctance to using the 50% rule for expenses. However, until you can verify the current owners expenses to justify anything less it is prudent to remain conservative in your analysis. Do you have any of their expense data? T12, rent rolls, expense reports? If not how did you arrive at $3,098 for total expenses?

    Here is what I would want to see broken down:

    Current Monthly Income = $7,800

    Vacancy 3% or 5% (What is it really?) = $234 or $390

    PM 8% = $624 (I know you don't have to pay it)

    CapEx ?? (Recommend 10%) = $780

    Repair/Maintenance 5% = $390

    Tax ??

    Insurance ??

    Utilities ?? (Any owner responsible)

    Miscellaneous ??  (Recommend 5%)  (Lawn care/snow removal, legal, accounting, marketing, pest control, etc)

    You still did not provide the current owners NOI. I would use that and your 7% Cap Rate to calculate offer price. In lue of not having it I would use my conservative (50% rule) NOI.

    Offer price = $46,800 annual NOI ($3,900 * 12) / .07 = $668,571.43.

    You say you are concerned about the slim margins even after rent increases. I still would not pursue this deal based on your numbers. It seems to me you have not developed your investment criteria for properties that you want to purchase. Things like minimum Cash Flow (i.e. $100 per unit per month) and COCROI (for me that's 10% plus). Speaking of COCROI. Think you left out a key amount in your calculations to get 31%. This is like a BRRRR purchase/Refinance in that you need to include the negative Cash Flow (Holding costs) because that is coming out of your pocket prior to the Refinancing. So you might want to reevaluate that.

    Chris please remember the saying  "don't fall in love with the property ...fall in love with the numbers!"  It sounds like you do not love the numbers.  Just saying!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.