Contacting the owner of a vacant residence

Contacting the owner of a vacant residence

Sandy, OR · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Hi BP, 

From a newb...

I found a house that I believe could have a lot of potential as a flip. The current owner bought the property in 2011 for dirt cheap, apparently started a remodel, but then stopped. The house has been now sitting for several years without any work. There is piles of garbage/materials in the front yard, and the drive-way entrance's have chain link fences in front of them. 

I contacted the county and found out who the owner is and they were able to provide me the information. I plan on reaching out to him, but wanted to ask if there was a better strategy than others to use when reaching out. I have heard some people say they've always written letters by hand, and others say that is a waste of time. 

As real estate investors, what do you think it the best tactic to use? I want to impress this guy from the beginning, as I'm ultimately going to try to convince him to sell me (and my partners) his property. 

Thanks in advance!

Adam

0Reply
11 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Greenville, SC · Member since 2012 · 269 posts · 187 votes
    10y

    @Adam Shaddy The only thing you lose by writing the owner a letter is some time and 50 cents. I might recommend asking neighbors if they have a phone number. Mailer response rates are always low (1-5%), so it is a high probability that the owner never responds to your letter. If you can figure out a way to get the owner on the phone or talk to them in person (ask neighbors if they ever visit the house) that is going to be your best bet.

    Don't give up, though. Just keep sending them letters once a month. Eventually they'll either call you to tell you to stop sending them mail or call you about selling it. It might also be worth leaving a note on the front door in case they come around.

    Last note, if they say they aren't interested in selling just make sure they keep your name and number in mind for whenever they change their mind.

  • Sandy, OR · Member since 2015 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    @Paul Smythe Thank you! I had not thought about contacting the neighbors. And I'll be sure to be persistent. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.