Rooming house investing // jitters

Rooming house investing // jitters

Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 240 posts · 130 votes

I have an opportunity to purchase a duplex in a C/D neighborhood -- 8br/6ba total. It's a newer property (2009) with very little maintenance (just some carpet, paint in some rooms, etc.), new HVAC, great roof, etc.

Though it is not a great neighborhood currently, it is right down the street from a MAJOR Atlanta infrastructure project that has already begun and will finish in 5-10 years. I have wanted to buy something in this neighborhood for a long time.

I have networked with someone who is recommending setting this up as a rooming house, no leases but billed monthly (not weekly).

Here's how it pencils out:

Purchase price:
$100,000 // +$5,000 for conventional mortgage closing
(An identical duplex on the same street recently sold for $123,000)

Initial renovations:
$5,000

Rent:
$500 x 8 = $4,000/month

Income - Coin Laundry:
$200/month

Total income:
$4,200

Monthly Expense Breakdown:
Debt service: $800 (P/I/T/I)
Management: $400
Repairs: $400
Capex savings: $400
Gas: $150
Electric: $150
Water: $150
Internet/Cable: $150
Vacancy: $750 (planning on 1-2 rooms empty a month)

Total monthly expense:
TOTAL: $3,350

Cash flow:
TOTAL: $8,500

QUESTIONS:

1) Do these numbers seem conservative? Inflated? Am I missing anything?

2) Am I crazy for thinking of giving this a try?

3) This property could also be set up as a Section 8 duplex for $1,000 a side. Those numbers pencil out too, so there is an exit strategy if the rooming house is too much aggravation. I'm intrigued by the rooming house setup, but do you think it might be better to just go for a conventional rental setup?

Thank you for your assistance in sorting this through!

1Reply
23 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Frederick, MD · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 21 votes
10y

You need to factor in a cleaner for the common areas (kitchen, bathrooms, hallways, living room) once a month. Unless you want to do it yourself. Around here it averages $100 / cleaning, but with more bathrooms will be more. It gets dirty fast until the tenants learn to clean up after themselves. There should be basic cleanliness rules on that as well. (Also when the trash pick up comes).

If the area has a good market for rooms, you vacancy factor is more like 0%. So long as you vacuum the room and list it right away. It should get filled quickly. If someone turns over before their month is up, I tend to make extra rent money for the month by filling it again. The tenants I qualify tend to stay long term though on month-month room rental leases that don't need to be renewed.

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Specialist · Toronto, Ontario · Member since 2016 · 564 posts · 425 votes
    10y

    The rooming house setup is a lot of work, but can be worth it.

    I have done it, and the numbers are usually a lot better than renting separately, it's just a lot more work in my experience. You need to consider who you are renting to. Also, I don't know your market, but $500 for a room would usually be in a pretty nicely renovated house. I'm not sure of the condition of the duplex and the level of finish, but take that into account.

    @Roy N. Has very good advice for this kind of setup, including having a "Den mother" who lives there and takes care of the property.

    I find, depending on the price I ask for rooms, that I can have much less than 1 or 2 rooms empty on average. Part of that is continually working on getting the rooms renting, being available for showings often etc. However, this number should also account for bad debt, as the tenants who rent rooms are the most likely to live month to month and should they lose their job or spend too much on a new phone, they won't be able to pay rent.

    As for your numbers, electric looks a little low. 8 people in a house are likely to use more electric than that. I don't know electricity rates in your area, but I think for 8 adults with their own electronics plugged in, $200 would be more realistic.

    Sounds like a good deal though!

  • Investor · Frederick, MD · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 21 votes
    10y

    You need to factor in a cleaner for the common areas (kitchen, bathrooms, hallways, living room) once a month. Unless you want to do it yourself. Around here it averages $100 / cleaning, but with more bathrooms will be more. It gets dirty fast until the tenants learn to clean up after themselves. There should be basic cleanliness rules on that as well. (Also when the trash pick up comes).

    If the area has a good market for rooms, you vacancy factor is more like 0%. So long as you vacuum the room and list it right away. It should get filled quickly. If someone turns over before their month is up, I tend to make extra rent money for the month by filling it again. The tenants I qualify tend to stay long term though on month-month room rental leases that don't need to be renewed.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 240 posts · 130 votes
    10y

    @Account Closed

    Thanks so much for this! A couple of quick follow-ups:

    1) The person I met does not use leases -- just straight month to month, and he uses an auto-pay CC system. Bad idea?

    2) What qualifications do you put in place for your month to month tenants?

    Thank you!
    Josh

  • Investor · Frederick, MD · Member since 2015 · 43 posts · 21 votes
    10y

    Leases have been really good for my rooming house (A big townhouse + garage). It provides some protection and separates me from being a "boarding" house. I put house rules on there as well. Leases are needed to qualify the rental income to banks as well.

    Auto-pay CC system could work. In my experience, most pay cash or go to my bank to deposit.

    Qualifications - I have a basic application. I do a free background check. Verify employment or source of income, criminal background, emergency contact. I require security deposit + rent before move in.

    Mine requires some work, but not much most times. Cash flow is awesome. I wouldn't get another rooming house though. I also have my exit strategy to rent it out to a family. For now, it's been good.

  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    10y

    You need to verify your down payment at 5% which may need to be ~20% because this is an investment property.  

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 240 posts · 130 votes
    10y

    @Jim Adrian

    Totally! The down payment is actually 25%. That 5% is closing costs for a conventional mortgage. (I'm hoping that's high, but I try to figure my numbers on the conservative side.)

  • Investor · PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 602 votes
    10y

    You will probably need to get approval to run it as a rooming house. Most cities have ordinances about not having more than a certain number of unrelated people living in the same household. You will also probably want to screen pretty thoroughly in a C/D area because one bad roomer could ruin it for everyone else.

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ/PA · Member since 2016 · 555 posts · 149 votes
    9y

    One deal i am looking at have 1) very high insurance;  2) town permit fee  3) central fire/sprinkler/fire inspection

    can anyone help explain?

    what is a good Expenses :  income ratio ?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.