Deal Analysis Feedback for 1st Rental Property (MN duplex)

Deal Analysis Feedback for 1st Rental Property (MN duplex)

Investor · Minnetonka, MN · Member since 2013 · 70 posts · 100 votes

Hi Everyone!

I've been lurking on Bigger Pockets for a year or so, and cannot praise the site, and everyone's input/discussion, enough. It has been an incredible learning tool, and has really helped expand my overall knowledge base of REI.

I am from the Minneapolis, MN area, and I started in RE as a traditional Realtor (spring 2011), and then moved into full-time property rehabbing (flipped roughly 20 single family homes from 2011-2014). 

Toward the end of that rehabbing phase, I earned my MN Residential Builder's License, and I now work full-time as a General Contractor (almost 100% interior residential remodeling).

After tons of reading, property analysis, saving, etc, I'm ready to pull the trigger on my first investment property.

I recently came across a duplex that seems intriguing (analysis below). Monthly averages for utilities/taxes have been verified with the appropriate parties, and I'm running 10% allowances for management (verified), vacancy, and CAPEX. Overall, I've tried to be quite conservative, so I don't run into financial nightmares on my first property.

I'm planning to buy and hold the property in an LLC. As such, I'm assuming 5% interest and a 25% DP (awaiting verification from a local bank I have a good working relationship with). One concern (also in the works) - will a bank typically finance a mortgage with a balance below $50,000?

Up/Down Duplex (2 units, 2br/1ba each) - neighborhood is B-, but close to where I grew up, so I am comfortable with it.

$65,000 purchase price 

$16,250 down payment (25%)

$4,000 estimated repairs (both units are in great shape, but I like to be conservative)

$4,000 estimated closing costs

Cash to Close: $14,250

Monthly Rent

Rent $650/unit (based on research, the market supports $700 - $725/unit)

Gross Monthly Income: $1,300

Monthly Expenses

Taxes - $135

Insurance - $100 (estimated - awaiting confirmation)

PM - $130 (10% of gross rent - may manage myself, but would still need to account for my time)

Vacancy - $130 (10%; however, the market is currently very high demand <2% vacancy overall)

CAPEX - $130 (10%)

Rental License - $15/month

Gas - $80/mth 

Water/Sewer - $70/mth

Garbage - $25/mth

Electric - $0 (tenants pay)

Monthly Expenses: $815

Monthly NOI: $485

Mortgage - $265

Total Monthly Cash Flow: $220

DSCR: 1.83

CoCR:  10.89%

After purchase, I think there are a few value-add opportunities:

(1) Have water/gas metered separately, and pass all utility costs along to the tenants. This would reduce overall variability of monthly expenses, but would also cause my CoCR to take a hit if the work was completed up front.

(2) Aim to achieve $725/unit in monthly rent (the current leases expire in June 2016)

(3) Appeal the current property tax valuation (currently assessed at roughly $90,000). 

If you have I moment, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts on the above property, the things I have missed in my initial run-through, and any additional metrics it would be smart to consider when analyzing deals moving forward. 

I'm excited to purchase my first buy and hold property and begin building a portfolio, but I want to be certain I'm adequately matching the up-side of each investment property with its associated risk.

Thanks in advance - I look forward to hearing from everyone!

1Reply
10 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Manitou Springs, CO · Member since 2016 · 57 posts · 25 votes
    10y

    @Keith Linne I'm no expert but I enjoy the practice of looking at deals. I can see you are being ultra conservative. The only thing I see with your expenses are that you have CAPEX but no maintenance, these should be different considerations and calculated differently. From what I've learned, CAPEX won't differ a lot with the price of the house/rent. It's to pay for big items in the future like a new roof, new water heater/furnance... big items that every house has. To calculate this you have to est cost and lifespan of each item and figure out a monthly budget for each. Maintenance costs, on the other hand, would be calculated as a percentage of rent. Research this and let me know if I'm way off.

    Also,

    As far as cash at closing I don't understand how you got $14,250...$16,250 down and $4,000 closing costs. I'm definately not a finance expert so I'm actually interested in what I'm looking at wrong.

  • Investor · Minnetonka, MN · Member since 2013 · 70 posts · 100 votes
    10y

    @Kyle Myers Thanks for the response! My apologies - the "cash to close" figure is a type-o. Should say $24,250 ($16,250 DP + $4,000 CC + $4,000 reno). Sorry for the oversight!

    I like your thoughts on maintenance vs CAPEX as well. I'll definitely work on figuring those separately before pulling the trigger.

    Thanks for the advice, and for taking the time to reply!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.