Is this a good deal? Land contract in Milwaukee, WI

Is this a good deal? Land contract in Milwaukee, WI

Elm Grove, WI · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 1 vote

Below are the numbers for this deal I'm working on.  Terms below have been verbally agreed to, but I want to see if anyone has advice, as this will be my first ever real estate deal.  Here are the details:

-Property is a single family, turned into 3 units. Location is just off of National ave and 29th st in Milwaukee

-Terms: Agreed to $100k on a land contract, as the owner has no debt on the property.  I would get a bank loan for $80k and the owner would leave in $20k for the down payment.  I would pay the $20k back at no interest over 5 years ($333 per month).

-Taxes: $292 per month

-Mortage payment to bank: $382 per month

-Vacancy @ 4%: $76 per month

-Repairs and maint @ 3%: $57 per month

-Cap ex @ 3%: $57 per month

-Property management @ 6%: $114 per month

-Monthly insurance: $100

-Monthly payment to current owner: $333

-Water: $80 per month

-Gas and electric: $200 per month

-Rent: $1,950 per month.  Two units are currently rented for $600, but will bump those up to $650.  Third unit which owner lives in now, will also be rented for $650.

CASHFLOW = $259 per month

As it it a single family, I will be paying all utilities.  The two units that are rented out now only have one person in each unit.  Does the water, gas and electricity numbers look to be accurate?

Thanks for the input!

0Reply
18 views

9 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Professional · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2012 · 23k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    10y

    This is not a land contract deal.  To get a first mortgage you have to own it, title must transfer now.  The owner would be carrying a second mortgage, and most lenders won't finance this with you putting no money in.  Also, 10% total for vacancy, maintenance/repairs and capes is optimistically low.  Is it a legal three plex?

  • Elm Grove, WI · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    Yes, it got legally converted to a three plex.  If I put 5k down, would a lender finance?

    Thanks!

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 384 posts · 109 votes
    10y

    @Josh SchoberMake sure you are accounting for lawn care/snow removal.  Even with a small lot there is a cost for that whether its through paying someone, or through rent reduction and buying a cheap mower, etc.  WE Energies will share the utility costs if you call in with any address.  I tend to be more conservative in estimating, the number I came up with while you have both a mortgage and a payment to the current owner was $100 or less per month.

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 384 posts · 109 votes
    10y

    @Josh SchoberAlso if any big ticket items (roof, furnace, H20 heaters, plumbing, electrical) are at or near the end of their useful life, I add in the cost for that in the upfront cash I will need, even if I think I can get a year or two more out of it.

  • Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2014 · 180 posts · 114 votes
    10y

    Your vacancy, repairs, capex, and PM fees all look too low.  Based on the area you mentioned, I'm guessing the house is probably 100 years old +/- and unless it's recently been completely renovated is going to cost you more than what you are thinking.  

  • Investor · Member since 2015 · 222 posts · 173 votes
    10y

    Josh,

    I agree with the others who have already replied.

    Please post the address, or if you want, just privately email it to me.  I would like to see where it is.

    James

  • Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    10y

    Looks skinny at best. Expenses are always debatable, but what about property condition, remaining life expectation of major components and after repair value? It's only a deal if you buy equity.

  • Self Employed · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2015 · 135 posts · 45 votes
    10y

    Even the first line of the analysis threw up a red flag.  National Ave and 29th St for $100k seems a bit steep.  I agree with @Marcus Auerbach very little equity here.  A property manager charges for turnovers, evictions, etc which would very quickly eat up any cashflow as well.   Yes, I'm always willing to pay more if a seller provides financing but in this case he's really not, the bank is. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Milwaukee County, WI · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 525 votes
    10y

    29th National -> I would suggest a minimum of 7.5% vacancy, capex 7.5% 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.