How I got a multi unit with Good Credit, No Money, and Audacity

How I got a multi unit with Good Credit, No Money, and Audacity

Banker and Real Estate Investor · Port Jervis, NY · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 22 votes

Like most of you reading this I realized the massive potential of real estate and thought “Wow How do I get started”. I was 24 years old, broke, but had decent credit. At the time I had a friend who for the purpose of not releasing her identity we will call her Stephanie. Stephanie was homeless with 6 kids and after running into her and talking for a few minutes she also told me she was not only living in a homeless shelter but had what’s called a Department of Social Services Voucher which means she can move into any apartment and the landlord will be fully paid every month through a county program indefinitely. Stephanie and I exchanged contact info and I told her to wait on looking for an apartment so I can figure out a way to obtain a home for her and her children to live in.

As an investor its important to take an opportunity and make it work perfectly instead of waiting for a perfect opportunity. At this moment I started researching different ways to obtain a mortgage loan. After running into many road blocks due to the 25% banks would normally require for a down payment and the two year landlord experience requirement plus the 6 month reserves I needed I was convinced that this normal path of obtaining a mortgage was not the way to accomplish my goal.

So how did I do it? I called the Realtor who happens to be a Realtor I used in two other purchases and asked him if his seller would be interested in holding the mortgage. To my surprise the seller was interested.

If you are unfamiliar with what it means to “hold a mortgage” let me take a second to explain. If you know exactly what this means you can skip to the next paragraph. In this particular case the seller had no mortgage on the property and the property would likely appraise for somewhere between $115,000 and $125,000. The seller and I can create a mortgage contract and we can both agree that I will pay a particular interest rate and for a specified amount of time. In this case I received an eight year mortgage loan that’s amortized for 30 years. So I make payments to this mortgage as if though it’s a 30 year mortgage but my last payment amount due is whatever the principal balance left over is at the end of year eight. This loan payment was amortized for 30 years to make it affordable. In this case the interest rate we agreed on is 3.5%. The benefit of doing this type of deal is a win win. I get the property for no money out of my pocket (More on that later) and the seller doesn’t have to worry about taking care of this property. I’m on the deed as the owner and the seller is holding the mortgage and making interest on their money just like a bank. The interest on a mortgage of $100k at 3.5% over 30 years is $61,656.09! The payments are managed by an escrow company and they keep track of payments and calculate interest and charge late fees if need be according to the agreement with the seller. They can even make auto withdrawals from my account to pay the mortgage monthly. I pay the third party company and they pay the seller. They send me my tax info at the beginning of the new year for deduction purposes and they send my seller interest rate profit documentation for the sellers taxes.

So how did I get the seller to agree to something like this? Patience and smart negotiating tactics. In this case I used the Realtor as a middleman because the interaction between the seller and I was not the best way to go about negotiating interest rates, terms, and the seller building confidence in me to make the payment and not have to worry about me foreclosing on the property. Even though I had the sellers phone number and email address at this moment I knew using the Realtor in this case was best because the seller whole heartedly trusted the real estate agent. I then prepared a list of talking points. I wanted to give the seller a list of reasons why they should do this deal. I printed a copy of my credit report, tax information showing how much taxes they avoid by holding the mortgage instead of selling and paying taxes on it, an amortization schedule (a list showing monthly payments, interest and principal) to provide a clear understanding to the seller of how much they will make on interest and then I told the seller I would pay the Realtor fee of $5,000. That last one made the Realtor hustle because he knew if the seller agreed he would get $5,000 at the closing. Putting the sellers Realtor on my side worked like a charm. We eventually agreed on a term, rate, and interest. I should also mention the sellers property was in a family trust. This monthly payment can be used as an inheritance tool. The family will always have this trust creating interest and paying their trustees and beneficiaries for a long time changing their inheritance to a long term monthly payment.

Lets do some math! Closing costs, Down payment of $1,000 and the Realtor fee of $5,000 put this total deal at approximately $10,000. But I’m broke remember! So I used the only tool I had, Credit! I took an advance from my line of credit and used it to pay the $10,000 in closing costs to acquire this asset. The monthly income is $1800 and cost for the mortgage, taxes, insurance, water bill and repayment of the ten thousand still leaves me with $652.15 a month! And that’s not all! This property qualified for a lead paint removal program from the county and I not only had the lead paint remediated by a professional for FREE! But the county replaced all the windows as well! $20,000 worth of work! At this moment the only thing this property needs is a new garage roof. Honestly I’m not renting the garage out because I want a place to store my Sunday cars and motorcycles. WIN WIN!

This short version of the story is pretty glamorous. But I had many sleepless nights due to small mistakes I made. Like not getting a building inspection done early enough in the negotiating phase to use as leverage or not having a lease the first year I owned the property. Bigger Pockets has helped tremendously and I’m glad I can now confidently call myself an educated landlord. I stick to what I call the fundamentals of real estate investing. Always get another pros opinion. In this case it was a building inspector because the $400 I spent for an inspection is worth the $20,000 in headaches. A day before the closing I wanted to have the exterior oil tank removed because I was afraid it could have been leaking which means the fines would be tremendous and I could pretty much be charged a minimum $20,000 just for having this leak on my property (This is what I was told by the inspector) The seller dropped the total cost of the property by $3,000 in order to continue with the sale about 3 hours before the scheduled closing. Another fundamental is there is no such thing as too much research. I had to redo the apartment after Stephanie pretty much destroyed the place when she moved out 2 years later and after I paid for a dumpster, new paint, bed bug removal, and labor plus rental income loss I realized I could have done more research into her living habits. One last fundamental rule (I can go on forever with these) is to ALWAYS run the numbers more than a few times. If Im working on a flip or a buy and hold I run the numbers over and over to ensure success.

At the end of the day I purchased a house that’s worth about $115-125K for $93,000 with no money out of my pocket and it’s been cash flowing annually since ownership. If I continue to make $652.15 a month for 30 years I will make $234,774 in profit with the only thing I had at the time, Good Credit, No Money, and Audacity.

I will gladly answer as much questions about this story as I can. Connect with me or reply to this discussion.

14Reply
47 views

Most Popular Reply

sales · Rochester, MI · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 3 votes
10y

@Christopher Bennett I love this story. It is this type of outside the box thinking that separates the average from the exceptional investors. Thanks for sharing.

See this reply in the discussion

27 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Solutions Provider · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 571 posts · 452 votes
    10y

    @Christopher Bennett Thanks for sharing. Great story! How many frogs did you have to kiss before you found this prince in terms of getting a seller to do owner financing? I have been trying to implement this strategy for a while now but I have been unsuccessful. I either get straight up no or sellers want an outrageous down payment.

  • Banker and Real Estate Investor · Port Jervis, NY · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 22 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Eric H.:

    @Christopher Bennett Thanks for sharing. Great story! How many frogs did you have to kiss before you found this prince in terms of getting a seller to do owner financing? I have been trying to implement this strategy for a while now but I have been unsuccessful. I either get straight up no or sellers want an outrageous down payment.

     Thanks for reading my story. I target the people who can afford to hold a mortgage. I go on my county website and type in the last name of someone or a company and you can see how many properties they own in my county. Many counties have a similar way of researching properties. I also ask around. I live in a small town and I know from talking to people who can afford to wait on receiving full payment for a home. In this case the seller lived in another state and through the use of bigger pocket tools you can prepare a presentation to the seller and show them that your a "sure bet". Your professionalism and credit score can speak for you. 

  • Tucson, AZ · Member since 2015 · 70 posts · 24 votes
    10y

    What a great story!  This is definitely an eye opener on how to be creative and be a problem solver.  Good job!

  • Banker and Real Estate Investor · Port Jervis, NY · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 22 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Adrian Watkins:

    What a great story!  This is definitely an eye opener on how to be creative and be a problem solver.  Good job!

     Thanks! that means a lot to me. I have to credit BP for a lot as well. If you havint done so listen to the podcasts. They have a lot of good info on it. 

  • Architect; Investor · Trenton, IL · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 5 votes
    10y

    Great story! Did you know prior to your offer that the seller owned the home free and clear? What if he had a mortgage on it yet?

  • Engineer · Lagos, Lagos · Member since 2015 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Interesting piece.  Its informative.  Thank you. 

  • Banker and Real Estate Investor · Port Jervis, NY · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 22 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Chris Harpstrite:

    Great story! Did you know prior to your offer that the seller owned the home free and clear? What if he had a mortgage on it yet?

     I did not know they owned the home free and clear but I did know the family had a little extra cash then most people. Also, in this county its possible to see if anyone has a lien by physically going to the county clerk and researching the property. 

  • Banker and Real Estate Investor · Port Jervis, NY · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 22 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Adrian Watkins:

    What a great story!  This is definitely an eye opener on how to be creative and be a problem solver.  Good job!

     Thanks bud!

  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    Awesome story. Thanks for the all the details too. Congratulations.

  • Banker and Real Estate Investor · Port Jervis, NY · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 22 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Michael Le:

    Awesome story. Thanks for the all the details too. Congratulations.

     Thanks bud. 

  • Banker and Real Estate Investor · Port Jervis, NY · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 22 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Eric H.:

    @Christopher Bennett Thanks for sharing. Great story! How many frogs did you have to kiss before you found this prince in terms of getting a seller to do owner financing? I have been trying to implement this strategy for a while now but I have been unsuccessful. I either get straight up no or sellers want an outrageous down payment.

     My success rate for finding sellers like this is probably 1 out of every 10 properties I research.

  • Rental Property Investor · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 131 posts · 62 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Bennett:
    Originally posted by @Eric H.:

    @Christopher Bennett Thanks for sharing. Great story! How many frogs did you have to kiss before you found this prince in terms of getting a seller to do owner financing? I have been trying to implement this strategy for a while now but I have been unsuccessful. I either get straight up no or sellers want an outrageous down payment.

     My success rate for finding sellers like this is probably 1 out of every 10 properties I research.

     Chris Nice work!

    I've been looking into different ways to get creative with the financing and this was one of the ideas that came up. One thing that stuck out and I was curious about was whether a bank could call the loan due if the deed swaps hands. Have you had any problem with that?

  • Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2008 · 187 posts · 36 votes
    10y

    Where there's a will there's a way. Great reminder as to the fact that there are no limits to our abilities. I felt like I could have done this some months back but I failed to capture the owners attention correctly.  You didn't box in your game plan and that's the real accomplishment. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Louisville KY · Member since 2013 · 84 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    @Christopher Bennett Great write up. You mentioned that at the end of the 30 years the note will be worth $61,656.09. With your balloon payment at the end of 8 years, is it the matured value of the note - principle and interest already paid or is it just principle?

  • Banker and Real Estate Investor · Port Jervis, NY · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 22 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Josh Calcanis:
    Originally posted by @Christopher Bennett:
    Originally posted by @Eric H.:

    @Christopher Bennett Thanks for sharing. Great story! How many frogs did you have to kiss before you found this prince in terms of getting a seller to do owner financing? I have been trying to implement this strategy for a while now but I have been unsuccessful. I either get straight up no or sellers want an outrageous down payment.

     My success rate for finding sellers like this is probably 1 out of every 10 properties I research.

     Chris Nice work!

    I've been looking into different ways to get creative with the financing and this was one of the ideas that came up. One thing that stuck out and I was curious about was whether a bank could call the loan due if the deed swaps hands. Have you had any problem with that?

     For this to work there cant be any liens on the property. The owner needs to own it free and clear.

  • Banker and Real Estate Investor · Port Jervis, NY · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 22 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @KIMARD EGLETON:

    @Christopher Bennett Great write up. You mentioned that at the end of the 30 years the note will be worth $61,656.09. With your balloon payment at the end of 8 years, is it the matured value of the note - principle and interest already paid or is it just principle?

     Thanks for your question, In this case the seller will only receive interest for 8 years or until I refinance. I wanted to show the reader the amount of money that can be made pitching this creative financing tactic for the long term option. The loan would have to be paid for 30 years for the seller to see that amount of interest. 

  • Real Estate Agent · North New Jersey · Member since 2015 · 20 posts · 1 vote
    10y

    I loved reading your story; and well written too!

  • Sr. Software Engineer, MCPD · Jenison, MI · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    So is this correct, that since you agreed to a balloon payment after 8 years you're planning on having 25% equity in the property via raised rents and principal pay-down after 7 years, and then you'll be able to re-finance with a traditional bank owned mortgage at 75% LTV? So if the bank will only finance for 20 years instead of the 22/23 years remaining and charge a higher rate you'd be presented with a scenario of either paying off the seller or cutting into your cashflow. I'm assuming when you run your anaylsis pre-purchase that the deal still makes sense under those terms? I'm just trying to fully understand the implications as I'm interested in pursuing deals with a similar structure.

  • sales · Rochester, MI · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    @Christopher Bennett I love this story. It is this type of outside the box thinking that separates the average from the exceptional investors. Thanks for sharing.

  • Real Estate Investor · Lansdowne, PA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 656 votes
    10y

    @Christopher Bennett

    Excellent deal finding and closing strategy. Just 99 more to go and you're home free. :-) Wonderful share. Thanks a million.

    Kudos,

    Mary

  • Joshua DiazPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Bronx, NY · Member since 2015 · 269 posts · 165 votes
    10y

    @Christopher Bennett

    Thanks so much for sharing! Congratulations on the deal and good on you for thinking outside the box. You gave me a few ideas too, thanks!

  • Banker and Real Estate Investor · Port Jervis, NY · Member since 2014 · 31 posts · 22 votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Mark Jager:

    So is this correct, that since you agreed to a balloon payment after 8 years you're planning on having 25% equity in the property via raised rents and principal pay-down after 7 years, and then you'll be able to re-finance with a traditional bank owned mortgage at 75% LTV? So if the bank will only finance for 20 years instead of the 22/23 years remaining and charge a higher rate you'd be presented with a scenario of either paying off the seller or cutting into your cashflow. I'm assuming when you run your anaylsis pre-purchase that the deal still makes sense under those terms? I'm just trying to fully understand the implications as I'm interested in pursuing deals with a similar structure.

    Thank you for your question Mark. Since I own this property under my personal name and not my LLC I can have the option to refi for another 30 years with a fixed term that would qualify due to my cashflow on the property, My W-2 income from the bank, and my LLC income. If the cashflow was affected, hypothetically speaking, and Im still capable of refinancing. Its still something (The Property) for nothing (Use of my credit). Please ask more questions if I did not fully answer yours. I appreciate your thought process.

  • Sr. Software Engineer, MCPD · Jenison, MI · Member since 2015 · 9 posts · 0 votes
    10y

    Christopher, that helps to fill the holes in my understanding.  Thanks for sharing and your reply.  Congratulations on the deal!

  • Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2015 · 75 posts · 17 votes
    10y

    You can find out if the owner has paid off the mortgage by checking with the recorder's off ice.  You can see all the loans on the property.  If there is only the original mortgage, you can run a mock amortization schedule to estimate where the owner is on the mortgage.  

     I am not sure I would deny the tenant the use of the garage.  Seems like that should come with.

  • Jennifer T.Pro Member
    Investor · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 944 votes
    10y

    Bravo!  Love the "outside of the box" thinking to make the deal happen.

    The right purchase + a good, creative financing idea = over $600/mo. in cash flow.  Awesome!

    I'm also impressed you had the foresight to view the purchase from the seller's vantage point and prepare your presentation accordingly.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.