Buying $48,000 House, Will Owner Finance for 16% Cap Rate

Buying $48,000 House, Will Owner Finance for 16% Cap Rate

Real Estate Investor · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 785 posts · 190 votes

I am closing on this house north of downtown San Antonio this week. Purchase price is $48,000 (got a 7k discount), will put $5000 into it for paint and minor repairs. 

Planned exit strategy is to owner finance it to a blue collar family, $5000 down, $895 per month, $80,000~ final price. 

16%~ cap rate when I locate the qualified buyer, and I am not a landlord. 

In other words, life is grand. :)

0Reply
45 views

Most Popular Reply

Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

You know what will be awesome?  When some clever housing assistance attorney informs your buyer that since all of the loan origination requirements were not followed to the letter, they can force you to refund every penny!

Life will be pretty grand for them, at that point.  Several years of free rent.

See this reply in the discussion

4 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    You know what will be awesome?  When some clever housing assistance attorney informs your buyer that since all of the loan origination requirements were not followed to the letter, they can force you to refund every penny!

    Life will be pretty grand for them, at that point.  Several years of free rent.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 18k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Planned exit strategy is to owner finance it to a blue collar family, $5000 down, $895 per month, $80,000~ final price. 

    ....

    16%~ cap rate when I locate the qualified buyer, and I am not a landlord. 

    Joe -

    If you're selling the property, there's no cap rate associated with it.  If the numbers here are similar to other deals you've posted, your yield is probably in the 8-9% range, with a large opportunity cost.

    You'd be better off wholesaling the deal or keeping it as a rental.

  • Real Estate Agent · San Antonio, TX · Member since 2014 · 311 posts · 176 votes
    11y

    @Richard C. did the really long thread he posted disappear?  I didn't think you could take down threads from the forums.

  • Bedford, NH · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Tim Macy:

    @Richard C. did the really long thread he posted disappear?  I didn't think you could take down threads from the forums.

     I think it got moved to the Marketplace.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.