What do you guys and gals think of this one

What do you guys and gals think of this one

Rental Property Investor · Dubuque, IA · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 4 votes

$130,000 purchase price for 3 bed 1 bath duplex

$1425/mo rent total

$2290 for taxes

$780 for insurance

$590 for P & I

Plan to put 10% down with seller financing at 4.5% with 30 year amort and 5 year balloon.

Tenants would pay all utilities and do snow and grass

I figure 8% vacancy and 10% maintenance reserve should cover things.

What would you do?

0Reply
31 views

Most Popular Reply

Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
11y

Here is how I look at a deal.

monthly income - expenses = net income/downpayment = cash on cash return cash flow

net income + principle pay down / downpayment

This is what I look at to establish whether or not it is "worth" it. 

See this reply in the discussion

16 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Hanford, CA · Member since 2013 · 5k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    11y

    Here is how I look at a deal.

    monthly income - expenses = net income/downpayment = cash on cash return cash flow

    net income + principle pay down / downpayment

    This is what I look at to establish whether or not it is "worth" it. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Dubuque, IA · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    What kind of percentages do you look for as far as cash on cash return, dollar amount of cash flow, etc. Is break even after all expenses and allowances enough (not including paydown or appreciation)?

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Too much.   Taxes are quite high.  I'd say $110,000 is a reasonable retail buy - nothing spectacular.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dubuque, IA · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    @Ben Leybovich always enjoy your contributions to the site. The podcast was great also. What if rent was somewhere in the $1600 range? I think I could get it here pretty easy.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dubuque, IA · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    By the way, how do I get this dang mention thing to work?

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2014 · 139 posts · 89 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Rob Donovan:

    By the way, how do I get this dang mention thing to work?

    IF it works the member you're @-mentioning will pop up under the edit box. But it doesn't work on every setup. For me it works on windows and Mac but not my android tablet.

  • Wayne, PA · Member since 2012 · 144 posts · 24 votes
    11y

    @Rob Donovan 

    Rent - P&I - Insurance - Taxes - Maint - Vacancy = Cash Flow

    1425 - 590 - 65 - 190 - 140 - 115 = +325

    Cash on cash is 325x12 = 3900 / 13000 = 30% Cash on Cash

    - I didn't calculate the balloon

    - What am I missing here? +325 per month and 30% cash on cash looks good to me.

    I'm newer here so someone double check me but it looks like a slam dunk deal.

  • Investor · Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    In my area, I can only dream of a deal like this. I'm looking for more properties now, and to generate a rent of $1400 or more, I'm looking at $200k properties at a minimum. Although taxes here are about half as they are in your area, it's still a no-brainer deal for me, unless there is some kind of red flag regarding the property itself.

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2014 · 122 posts · 29 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Kyle M.:

    @Rob Donovan 

    Rent - P&I - Insurance - Taxes - Maint - Vacancy = Cash Flow

    1425 - 590 - 65 - 190 - 140 - 115 = +325

    Cash on cash is 325x12 = 3900 / 13000 = 30% Cash on Cash

    - I didn't calculate the balloon

    - What am I missing here? +325 per month and 30% cash on cash looks good to me.

    I'm newer here so someone double check me but it looks like a slam dunk deal.

    This post is right on.  I would buy this up in a second.  However, make sure you don't overlook capital expenditures.  If you need a new roof asap, this could kill your cash flow for a while.  Be sure to look into the larger ticket items and budget 5-10% for capital expenditures.  Other than that, looks good.  Nice find.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dubuque, IA · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    Thanks for the responses guys. It has a new roof and one side is pretty much fixed up. Side two needs some work, but the renters have been there for 20 years and don't sound like they are going anywhere. I see all this talk about 2% rule being the goal, but I don't think that is possible here. I am sure  I could do better as far as numbers go, but then I would probably be investing in an area I wouldn't want to be. I figured 10% for management also which brought my cash on cash figure to 18.21%. Didn't think that was too bad. Sure would be nice to get the 2% rule to work. Wouldn't take long to be diving in the piles of cash like Scrooge McDuck, Cap rate is only 7.28%. What do you think is a decent number? I would especially like to hear from people in my area. Maybe I will have to start looking a little further outside my area.

  • Investor · Boise ID · Member since 2014 · 113 posts · 25 votes
    11y

    @Rob Donovan 

    I am in the same boat as Rick deals like that don't come around like that in my area. If your numbers are correct. It looks like a great deal but as someone mentioned earlier if you have a big ticket item(A/C, Roof, Water heater, etc) nearing the end of its life you need to account for that. Also you may adjust your Vacancy and Maint depending on the property and location if you have and "A" Property you should be ok with the 8% and 10% if you property is older a B or C property I would push both of those up. Also a bad area or and area that might caused more maint needs attention, you mentioned snow. Where I live I use 10% for maint and its 60 to 70 degrees all year round and rains maybe 5 days out of the year. Also I would verify all your numbers from multiple sources especially the rate you can rent it for. If it still makes sense go for it.

    Good Luck

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y

    Not a great deal cash flow wise for sure.  What type of area/class are we talking here?  If we are talking class A it may be viable.

    I didn't realize the property taxes were so high in Iowa either.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dubuque, IA · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    This is probably a low B unit on the good side of town. Everyone wants to be in this location. The building is 1960's ranch with garages and separate laundries in basement. No major items are near end of life expectancy. The rents according to my realtor could be up to $900 per side once the unrehabbed side gets a little attention.

    Not talking major gut job, just flooring, paint, and maybe shower. Tenants do snow removal and mowing. Newer 3 bedroom apartment units less than 5 years old are going for $1200-$1500. A 3 bed SFR about the same age goes for $900-$1400.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dubuque, IA · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    @Michael Noto what do you think I should be shooting for as far as cash flow? What kind of cash flow would make you jump at this place?

  • Wayne, PA · Member since 2012 · 144 posts · 24 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Rob Donovan:

    @Michael Noto what do you think I should be shooting for as far as cash flow? What kind of cash flow would make you jump at this place?

     I've heard people say on this site that they are looking at +200 per month in cash flow on duplex's.  In all honesty, go on to the next step with this one.

  • Rental Property Investor · Dubuque, IA · Member since 2014 · 41 posts · 4 votes
    11y

    Thanks for all the feedback everyone. I think I am going to go for it. It may not be spectacular but it looks pretty solid. I will try for my home run next

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.