Opportunity to buy, but what price?

Opportunity to buy, but what price?

Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 0 votes

Looking at a condo in a high-income historic neighborhood, near a major university. Neighborhood has appreciated at a 5% rate in the past 10 years and has tapered off to 3.5%. Unit is in need of some work and I have the opportunity to get it at a discount.

Zillow estimate rent: $1,100, recent nearly identical comp sold at $135,000.  Known expenses (hoa, tax, ins) are $400/month.  Newer construction apartments down the street rent for more like $1,400.

Repairs needed: Repair plaster walls, paint, repairs to casement windows, HVAC is 15 years old, possibly bathroom updates required.

I have a couple of questions to help me pin down a good price:

1.) Need to narrow down cost of repairs, I've estimated $5,000 - $15,000.  

2.) What's an appropriate cap rate for this area?  Recent sale indicates  5% cap rate (using 50% rule)

0Reply
12 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2010 · 99 posts · 20 votes
11y
Whatever you think you will need for repairs, add 50%! Ask me how I know that. It is pretty tough to "rehab" anything to be rent ready for less than 10k. Condo may be different though.
See this reply in the discussion

17 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2010 · 99 posts · 20 votes
    11y
    Whatever you think you will need for repairs, add 50%! Ask me how I know that. It is pretty tough to "rehab" anything to be rent ready for less than 10k. Condo may be different though.
  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Thanks Sebastian,  I'll run with my larger number and add 50%.

    What do you typically do for > $10k to get a house rental ready?

  • Salem, OR · Member since 2013 · 701 posts · 159 votes
    11y

    I look for cap rates of at least 8% on rentals where I pay cash.  If I am using debt I want at least 3 percentage points above my cost of money.

    I budget 20% above my estimate of repairs.  I even add 20% once I have a contractors bid.

    I would expect updates of kitchens and bathrooms + general rehab of area on a 15 year old property.

    Good Luck.

    Bill

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Bill,

    What expense figures do you use for that cap rate, do you include vacancy and ongoing R&M?

  • Salem, OR · Member since 2013 · 701 posts · 159 votes
    11y

    When I first look at a property I use the 50% rule.  As I acquire more data I go to detailed information such as taxes, Insurance, Management, utilities if relevant, and on-going maintenance and I also include capital reserves.  I also use vacancies as an expense from the gross rents.  It is pretty all inclusive.

    Good Luck.

    Bill

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2010 · 99 posts · 20 votes
    11y

    It'll obviously depend how much it takes to get a place rent ready, but in your situation I would guess that the place doesn't have to be perfect since its in a college town.  You will still need new HVAC, drywall/paint, window repairs, and whatever you need to get the bathrooms functional again.  College rentals probably won't need the latest and greatest bathroom.  You might be able to get away with 10k.

    Oh, and I like to use rentometer in addition to zillow to determine rental comps (if you don't have MLS access of course).

    Good luck!

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    Great so here's what I'm thinking based on the above input (annual figures).  Sebastian says $10k plus 50% fudge factor, so $15k rehab, which is within my original estimate. Here's what a fair price would be based on detailed analysis:

    $13,200 gross rent

    -$1,100 vacancy expense

    -$4,800 tax, ins, hoa

    -$1,000 reserve for rehab ($15k every 15 years)

    =$6,300 net rent

    @ 7% cap rate

    = $90,000 FMV

    Less $15,000 needed rehab = $75,000.

    Note that similar rehabbed units sold for around $130k, so I would need to get about about a 45% discount.  I'm not thinking that's going to happen.  

  • Real Estate Investor · Kirkland, WA · Member since 2014 · 33 posts · 5 votes
    11y

    In a similar vane, how would you estimate rehab/repair costs and calculate a fair price if the property is rented and you're unable to view it before making an offer? 

    Would you simply factor in a repair buffer? If so, then would it be a fixed amount ($10-15K) or a sliding percentage based on the property's age (A% @ B yrs, C% @ D yrs, etc)? If the latter, what would be best practices for age-based percentages?

    Then once your offer is accepted, and your inspection finds issues higher than estimated, how would you typically handle getting favorable consideration; price adjustment or seller credit at closing?

    Thanks in advance for the insight.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Account Closed - do very careful research on rents.  One sentence in your posts worries me - "Newer construction apartments down the street rent for more like $1,400."  You know why new stuff rents for more?  Because it's new.  There's no functional obsolescence and there are no plumbing leaks.  While Zillow numbers are not to be trusted under any circumstances, in this case you really have to be careful...

    If the rental market cools down, the A Class will lower rents, which will compress the B Class and kill the C Class.  Be careful indeed!

    Don't look at Cap Rates. In an SFR situation they are meaningless. We don't even make a buy decision on CAP rates when considering 150 units cause it's such a bad indicator, let alone a condo...

    Be smart!

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    Note that similar rehabbed units sold for around $130k, so I would need to get about about a 45% discount.  I'm not thinking that's going to happen.  

     Give it a try.  If it doesn't work, move on...

    Btw, your expense estimates didn't include CapEx, utilities, lawn care, attorney/CPA, property management, turnover costs, etc.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    @ Juan

    That's not a bad situation to be in, If you know that the renter has been in the for a while and has paid rents on time.  If you don't have both of those then this doesn't apply, but if they both apply then you know:

    1.) that if anything, current rent is at least at market (above, tenant would have moved)

    2.) that the current condition of apartment is at least decent (because it wouldn't be occupied by a good-paying tenant if it were rundown.

    Of course, it's possible that the place is run down AND the rent is below market, but that's not a terrible problem because you could fix up the place and raise the rents.  Often this will happen if you get a cheap tenant in a good neighborhood who doesn't care about updated kitchens/bathrooms (i.e. a male).

    Once you find out gross rents, you can figure out FMV of property based on your required returns.

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    11y

    @ J Scott

    I think I have these:

    CapEx: I called these "reserve for rehab"

    utilities: included in HOA

    lawn care: included in HOA

    attorney/CPA: not needed 

    property management: not needed

    turnover costs: I called these "vacancy costs"

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:

    @Account Closed - do very careful research on rents.  

    Don't look at Cap Rates.

    I know that a 1br unit in the complex currently rents for $900, so I thought that $1,100 for a 2BR didn't seem too far off. I can't be positive but there's only so much research that can be done, any suggestions?

     If not cap rates, what should I look at instead?  I tried to calculate the value just to flip the property and I got a similar number.  

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Account Closed:

    I think I have these:

    CapEx: I called these "reserve for rehab"

    attorney/CPA: not needed 

    turnover costs: I called these "vacancy costs"

    If CapEx is "reserve for rehab," then you're missing maintenance costs. Unless $1000/year is expected to cover those?

    If you don't expect any attorney costs, does that mean you're prepared to handle any eviction proceedings and legal issues yourself?

    And your vacancy expense seems very low if that includes turnover costs, such as carpet cleaning, paint touchups, etc, between tenants.

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    @Account Closed - then use the smaller number :)

  • Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Ben Leybovich:

    @Account Closed - then use the smaller number :)

     Good god, where do you guys buy your properties?  There must be an alternate venue to arrive at these deals.

    Retail real estate does NOT seem like much of an investment to me...

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    Now you're thinking...:) hahah

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.