Potential 4-plex investment in Des Moines, Iowa

Potential 4-plex investment in Des Moines, Iowa

Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 128 posts · 23 votes

I am not ready to buy, but was looking for fun in my hometown Des Moines, Iowa.  I came across this 1 month old posting on CL. No pics unfortunately.  (link: http://desmoines.craigslist.org/reo/4712347923.htm...)

3 Studio and 1 2br1ba

Numbers from Listing:

Gross Income $29,520.00 

Operating Expenses $14,839.80
--------------------------------------------
Net Operating Income $14,680.20

Operating Expense - Breakdown
Taxes $4,182.00
Insurance $1,497.00
Utilities / Lawn $7,980.00
Repair / Vacancy / Misc $1,180.80 [estimated for reserve, actual vacancy has been 0%]

Sale Price $155,000.00 

-----------------------------------------------

It is 4 units near downtown Des Moines.  Imputed rent of $615/unit seems right based on a cursory Zillow search, assuming the units aren't junkers.  Rents are 1.59% of Asking Price. 

Expenses come in right at about 50%, including a Vacancy assumption.  Poster claims no vacancy.  Utilities, save for Snow Removal, are owner paid, unfortunately.

Estimated Mortgage P+I is $625/mo (25% down, 5%, 30 year)

This leaves ~$600 in CF per month, or 18% Cash on Cash (not adjusted for Closing/Improvement cost).

------------------------------------------------

This is very rough, but does anyone have an opinion?  Just starting to run numbers for deals, so by all means, rip me apart.

0Reply
17 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Waconia, MN · Member since 2014 · 238 posts · 104 votes
    11y

    @Mitch H. Have you emailed or called them? I actually was interested in this too but they do not return my emails or calls... 

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 128 posts · 23 votes
    11y

    @Jedd Braunwarth no, purely looking at it for educational purposes. 

    Interesting none the less.  Did you do much analysis of it at the time?

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2014 · 145 posts · 60 votes
    11y

    Looks like a decent deal depending on the neighborhood.  (I'm originally from Ames but not very familiar with this part of Des Moines. Ask about any flooding issues as far back as 1993.)  Because this is probably for sale by owner, I'd suggest an offer with seller financing or owner takes back a 2nd mortgage.  One might be able to get into the property with as little as 5% down.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 128 posts · 23 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Raj Gandhi:

    Looks like a decent deal depending on the neighborhood.  (I'm originally from Ames but not very familiar with this part of Des Moines. Ask about any flooding issues as far back as 1993.)  Because this is probably for sale by owner, I'd suggest an offer with seller financing or owner takes back a 2nd mortgage.  One might be able to get into the property with as little as 5% down.

    The area is just west of Downtown off of a major commercial street. Probably a C+ area for most, maybe B+ for the young and hip renter. Additionally, one of the pricier SFH areas of DM is nearby.

    Flood of '93. Good point, that would be a focus of any inspections that would be done, of course.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 128 posts · 23 votes
    11y

    Also, good point on the creative financing. However, I would have no idea how to sell this to someone who wasn't already familiar with it.  Would need help from an agent or something there.

  • Real Estate Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2014 · 145 posts · 60 votes
    11y

    @Mitch H. I'm pretty sure my friendly, locally-owned title company would have generic forms necessary to put together the offer with creative financing.  I like my REA but it would certainly be nice to save 7% commission.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.