Duplex Deal: Owner Finance to Long-Term Hold

Duplex Deal: Owner Finance to Long-Term Hold

Real Estate Agent · Nevada County, CA · Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 1 vote

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $240,000
Cash invested: $60,000

purchased this distressed duplex using owner financing for $240K and a $60K hard money loan for renovations. After fully renovating both units, I refinanced to pay off the loan and held it as a long-term rental. This property also launched my short-term rental journey, running our first Airbnb before transitioning it to a steady cash-flowing rental, allowing us to scale into bigger projects.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

I had been discussing this property with the owner for a while and saw its potential—distressed but with strong fundamentals and built-in equity.

The deal was a great opportunity to apply creative financing, secure a property with minimal upfront capital, and build long-term cash flow. It also gave me the chance to experiment with short-term rentals before transitioning to a long-term hold, reinforcing my strategy for growing a real estate portfolio.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

I initially offered $200K in cash, but the seller countered at $240K. Given that the property was worth $390K in its current condition, I saw an opportunity to make the numbers work while keeping my upfront costs low.

Instead of increasing my cash offer, I negotiated a $25K down payment with the seller carrying the balance for two years through owner financing. To cover renovations, I secured a $60K hard money loan, allowing me to improve the property without a significant initial investment.

How did you finance this deal?

Owner carry financing, hard money for renovations, then refinanced into a long-term mortgage.

How did you add value to the deal?

market rents/cost to aquire

What was the outcome?

Less than $300K in a mortgage, generating $4,000/month in rent.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

No I drew up my own contracts and filed the paperwork myself

1Reply
10 views

No replies yet. Be the first to reply to this discussion.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.