Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Joshua Dupler
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Hershey Pa
Votes |
VA Loan to Long Term Rental

Joshua Dupler
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Hershey Pa
Posted

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment in Harrisburg.

Purchase price: $259,000
Cash invested: $5,000

In 2018 my wife and I purchased a home with a VA Loan and lived in it until 2021, when we purchased a 2nd home and moved to that second home which also had a VA Loan. We didn't plan on getting in to real estate, but before we could sell our first home we had close family who wanted to rent it from us! We are very thankful this happened as this initiated our love for real estate. We have been renting that property for nearly 3.5 years now, and are cash flowing $550.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

We sort of fell in to this investment. We purchased the property using a VA loan intending on living in it for a long time. When another property became available in my home town, we moved back and purchased a second home. Prior to moving out of the first home, we were approached by family friends who wanted to rent our first home.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Approached by family friend

How did you finance this deal?

VA Loan

How did you add value to the deal?

Since they were family friends - we rented to them less than market value. The deal was they would get this below market rent but they would take care of all expenses on the property and we had the peace of mind that it wasn't getting destroyed by bad renters. This peace of mind was crucial for us and we may not have entered the landlord world if we wouldn't have had that peace of mind. We are now on to our second renters and are cash flowing much more now.

What was the outcome?

We were able to hold on to the property during the housing market boom from 2021 to current.

Loading replies...