What are your favorite tools for determining neighborhood quality?

What are your favorite tools for determining neighborhood quality?

Jeff G.Pro Member
Investor · Wethersfield, CT · Member since 2013 · 371 posts · 191 votes

I'm a long distance investor. As a quick-and-dirty approach I use school quality as a way to guestimate neighborhood quality. The downside is this isn't terribly granular so it can be misleading. Some cities can be very different a block or two away but share a school district.

I've tried to find a good crime map, but without much luck. The few Google points me to are either not granular enough or want to change me an arm and a leg for a limited number of reports per year. I'm open to suggestions on this one.

I've started "virtually walking" the street of a property I'm interested in with Google Maps. That helps. I can look to see if there are bars on windows, graffiti everywhere, how well people care for their lawns, etc. That's about where I run out of ideas.

What tools and techniques are you using to gauge a neighborhood's quality from a distance?

1Reply
20 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Columbus OH & Cleveland, OH · Member since 2023 · 45 posts · 42 votes
    2y
    Quote from @Jeff G.:

    I'm a long distance investor. As a quick-and-dirty approach I use school quality as a way to guestimate neighborhood quality. The downside is this isn't terribly granular so it can be misleading. Some cities can be very different a block or two away but share a school district.

    I've tried to find a good crime map, but without much luck. The few Google points me to are either not granular enough or want to change me an arm and a leg for a limited number of reports per year. I'm open to suggestions on this one.

    I've started "virtually walking" the street of a property I'm interested in with Google Maps. That helps. I can look to see if there are bars on windows, graffiti everywhere, how well people care for their lawns, etc. That's about where I run out of ideas.

    What tools and techniques are you using to gauge a neighborhood's quality from a distance?


    Hey Jeff, I learned about the different neighborhoods in my area by speaking with experienced contractors, agents, investors, and property managers. Also, it may save you a lot of money/headache if you buy a plane ticket and rent a car to see it for yourself.

  • Lee RipmaPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Prairie Village, KS · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    2y

    @Jeff G.

    If you only look at one meteric, look at Median household income. Checkout DISCERN reports on VestMap.com, this is exactly what you are looking for! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.