4 Family, First investment, Many lessons learned

4 Family, First investment, Many lessons learned

Realtor · Killingly, CT · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 9 votes

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $279,000

4 family in a rougher neighborhood, purchased from a family member, way over paid

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

This was my first property I ever purchased. It was owned by a distant uncle who had taken me under his wing as a mentor, really teaching me the ins and outs of being a landlord at 20 years old, and employing me as his property manager for his 4 different properties.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Unfortunately, I put full faith in the person I was purchasing this from and paid far too much for this property (see lessons learned)

How did you finance this deal?

The owner was willing to hold the note, and my father put up his interest in a different property as a 10% down payment.

What was the outcome?

In the end, it was a struggle for years to just break even, especially when there were empties, but I was able to renegotiate eventually and lowered the note to a much more realistic amount, at which point I was able to refinance into a bank loan, and now it cash flowing great and has decent equity.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Lessons learned. Always do your due diligence, and don't just put full faith in anyone, especially the owner of the property, no matter who they are. I should have had an appraisal and inspection done. It also taught me that I want to stay in better neighborhoods, where the rents are higher and the tenants are better. This building still requires a disproportionate amount of attention, but at least it cash flows well now.

1Reply
29 views

5 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Peter MckernanBusiness Member
    Residential Real Estate Agent · Irvine, CA · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Brooks Gagnon:

    Investment Info:

    Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment.

    Purchase price: $279,000

    4 family in a rougher neighborhood, purchased from a family member, way over paid

    What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

    This was my first property I ever purchased. It was owned by a distant uncle who had taken me under his wing as a mentor, really teaching me the ins and outs of being a landlord at 20 years old, and employing me as his property manager for his 4 different properties.

    How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

    Unfortunately, I put full faith in the person I was purchasing this from and paid far too much for this property (see lessons learned)

    How did you finance this deal?

    The owner was willing to hold the note, and my father put up his interest in a different property as a 10% down payment.

    What was the outcome?

    In the end, it was a struggle for years to just break even, especially when there were empties, but I was able to renegotiate eventually and lowered the note to a much more realistic amount, at which point I was able to refinance into a bank loan, and now it cash flowing great and has decent equity.

    Lessons learned? Challenges?

    Lessons learned. Always do your due diligence, and don't just put full faith in anyone, especially the owner of the property, no matter who they are. I should have had an appraisal and inspection done. It also taught me that I want to stay in better neighborhoods, where the rents are higher and the tenants are better. This building still requires a disproportionate amount of attention, but at least it cash flows well now.


     Yes! Great lesson, and learning experience. When young (does not have to be age, could be just new to investing) there are a lot of things that go over your head, and one is pricing/terms/negotiation. These are one of the biggest steps of getting that property, the last biggest one is comparables for the property. It's a great learning lesson and just note that in real estate, business, life; there will be things that catch you that shows you were not educated enough on something. This was one of them, and at least you were able and had the knowledge to renegotiate the pricing of the note. Good job on holding on and getting savvy to get the deal to a place of way better cashflow. That is a win! You still have a property and now it is cash flowing after the years you have owned it! 

    The McKernan Group4.957 Reviews
  • Real Estate Broker · New York, NY · Member since 2020 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y

    Hey @Brooks Gagnon - wow! 

    Not only have you worked on your own first deal, but you've learnt a lot of valuable lessons along the way. When I first started, someone told me that business and personal are totally different. You have to switch modes and be a completely different person if you're having a business conversation, even if it's with someone you've known your whole life. 

    Good luck and I'm sure all these lessons mean your next deal will be out of the park :) 

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2019 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    So your distant uncle/mentor/employer smoked you on the price.

    Because you trusted him, because you were young.

    Have you ever talked to him about this?

    Do you still interact with him?

  • Realtor · Killingly, CT · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Peter Mckernan:
    Quote from @Brooks Gagnon:

    Investment Info:

    Small multi-family (2-4 units) buy & hold investment.

    Purchase price: $279,000

    4 family in a rougher neighborhood, purchased from a family member, way over paid

    What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

    This was my first property I ever purchased. It was owned by a distant uncle who had taken me under his wing as a mentor, really teaching me the ins and outs of being a landlord at 20 years old, and employing me as his property manager for his 4 different properties.

    How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

    Unfortunately, I put full faith in the person I was purchasing this from and paid far too much for this property (see lessons learned)

    How did you finance this deal?

    The owner was willing to hold the note, and my father put up his interest in a different property as a 10% down payment.

    What was the outcome?

    In the end, it was a struggle for years to just break even, especially when there were empties, but I was able to renegotiate eventually and lowered the note to a much more realistic amount, at which point I was able to refinance into a bank loan, and now it cash flowing great and has decent equity.

    Lessons learned? Challenges?

    Lessons learned. Always do your due diligence, and don't just put full faith in anyone, especially the owner of the property, no matter who they are. I should have had an appraisal and inspection done. It also taught me that I want to stay in better neighborhoods, where the rents are higher and the tenants are better. This building still requires a disproportionate amount of attention, but at least it cash flows well now.


     Yes! Great lesson, and learning experience. When young (does not have to be age, could be just new to investing) there are a lot of things that go over your head, and one is pricing/terms/negotiation. These are one of the biggest steps of getting that property, the last biggest one is comparables for the property. It's a great learning lesson and just note that in real estate, business, life; there will be things that catch you that shows you were not educated enough on something. This was one of them, and at least you were able and had the knowledge to renegotiate the pricing of the note. Good job on holding on and getting savvy to get the deal to a place of way better cashflow. That is a win! You still have a property and now it is cash flowing after the years you have owned it! 


     Absolutely. The lessons learned on that property were irreplaceable and made me a way better investor, ready to knock it out of the park on all the others!

  • Realtor · Killingly, CT · Member since 2016 · 21 posts · 9 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Scott Mac:

    So your distant uncle/mentor/employer smoked you on the price.

    Because you trusted him, because you were young.

    Have you ever talked to him about this?

    Do you still interact with him?


     Unfortunately, I never got the chance. He passed away a couple of years after the purchase, which ultimately played a part in being able to renegotiate the note. He was a great guy, but like most property owners he thought the property was worth far more than it was, and I was too trusting to even think to question it. But in the end it worked out great as an investment, not to mention the lessons gained.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.