First SFR Buy and Hold Deal - Highest and Best

First SFR Buy and Hold Deal - Highest and Best

Investor · USA · Member since 2013 · 86 posts · 17 votes

Hello BP!

It has been a long journey to this point, but I've finally gotten to the stage of putting in offers. I'm looking in SC for a buy and hold, cash flowing SFR rental. I've been putting in lowball offers on bank owned MLS properties.

I've gotten a response from one of the banks! This particular property is a VA owned home, listed for just a couple of weeks at 100k. I offered 64k cash last week, no contingencies. The bank has come back asking for highest and best, as there is one other offer on the property. Apparently the listing agent slipped and told my agent that the other offer is also, coincidentally, 64k.

So here's my question: what should I go in with as my highest and best offer? The property is worth (conservatively) about 130k, and would rent for about $1150/mo. Using the 50% rule, my monthly expenses will be $575 (including taxes and insurance, right?), leaving $575/mo for P&I if I want only to break even. Obviously, I want to keep P&I much lower than that.

What would your highest and best be on this property?

Also, has anyone ever put in an offer with the following strategy: I will offer $500 more than any other offer up to $xx? I've heard of this being used in the past but have no experience with this type of offer myself.

Thank you all!

Jordan in CA

0Reply
12 views

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Minooka, IL · Member since 2013 · 353 posts · 85 votes
    12y

    Sounds like a better flip than a rental. If your ARV is correct I would offer 91k minus repair costs and flip it.

  • Investor · Gaithersburg, MD · Member since 2013 · 659 posts · 441 votes
    12y

    It's a guessing game. I would not go to $91k, that's too high. I'd probably go in with $70k and if you loose it, you loose it. I think you're WAY too high on taxes and insurance. Where I invest (MS and TN), takes and insurance would only be $150/month combined. I doubt SC would be triple or more.

  • Engelo RumoraBusiness Member
    Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Justin B.:
    It's a guessing game. I would not go to $91k, that's too high. I'd probably go in with $70k and if you loose it, you loose it. I think you're WAY too high on taxes and insurance. Where I invest (MS and TN), takes and insurance would only be $150/month combined. I doubt SC would be triple or more.

    Same here,

    $70,000 max

    There is a saying "Learn how to say NO to the good opportunities so you can say YES to the great ones"

    There is always another deal around the corner.

    Be patient.

    Thanks

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2012 · 19 posts · 6 votes
    12y

    Hi Jordan, great post and this looks like a great deal! In your original post you stated you were worried about the P&I? But if you're paying cash you wouldn't even need to worry about that. This is over a 1.5% ratio for you which I think is great. That's a really healthy cash flow. Also, the technique you asked about is called an escalation clause at least here in Phx anyway. It's definitely a viable technique. We used it often last summer when it was fiercely competitive out here to buy homes. I say you use the escalation clause up to 70K.

  • Contractor · Valparaiso , IN · Member since 2013 · 604 posts · 327 votes
    12y

    I am not seeing any cost for rehab, is this house in perfect shape?

    How much are property taxes?

    Will you be getting a mortgage at any point later? If so rate and terms?

    Will you be paying any utilities?

    How much is insurance ?

    Is there a HOA?

    I really need that answer before I can give you advise. Lets me know and I can run this thru my spreadsheets if you like.

  • Contractor · Valparaiso , IN · Member since 2013 · 604 posts · 327 votes
    12y

    One last thing, the 50% rule should only be used to see if the house is worthy of a further, more detailed look. It doesn't mean your expenses will be 50%.

  • Investor · USA · Member since 2013 · 86 posts · 17 votes
    12y

    Thank you everyone! I went in at $71,500. Waiting to hear back from the bank on this one.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.