Duplex in Little Haiti Miami - Fix&Flip

Duplex in Little Haiti Miami - Fix&Flip

Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 4 votes

Investment Info:

Small multi-family (2-4 units) fix & flip investment.

Purchase price: $326,000
Cash invested: $98,000
Sale price: $605,000

This is a duplex in the Little Haiti area of Miami. It is a hot up and coming area with a lot of potential for growth. It is also unique because it is zoned for Airbnb and short term rentals which is rare in Miami.

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

In the early months of Covid, I decided to invest in a duplex in Miami because my usual market (Central Maryland) was getting too competitive. It was a huge gamble because I had never invested in Miami before, let alone out of state at all. I flew down, met some local contractors, formulated a rehab plan and put the crew to work.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

This was a tax sale and I was able to bid on the auction online from my home in Maryland

How did you finance this deal?

Because I did not have any connections with any local lenders in Miami, I had to pay for this deal in cash.

How did you add value to the deal?

The rehab was a complete overhaul of the units. First we replaced the roof. Then we gutted both kitchens and rebuilt them with new cabinets, top of the line kitchen hardware, stainless steel appliances and recessed lighting. We also gutted the bathrooms and replaced the flooring with vinyl Planks. One of the units was a one-bedroom which we converted into two smaller bedrooms. This was to better appeal to the Airbnb landlord buyer. Finally we added a laundry room in a common area.

What was the outcome?

The property did not sell at the price we had hoped but we took a deal at a discount. We still ended up making a decent profit.

0Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Scott TrenchPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
4y

Congratulations! Seems like a decent deal and a huge learning experience. Can't wait to see how your journey continues!

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Member since 2019 · 10 posts · 15 votes
    4y

    Ahmed, those are some great numbers, nice work! Any reason in particular you didn’t want to refi instead of sell? 

  • Scott TrenchPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    Congratulations! Seems like a decent deal and a huge learning experience. Can't wait to see how your journey continues!

  • Julio GonzalezPro Member
    Specialist · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2008 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Congratulations and thanks for sharing! 

  • Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jordan Spaans:

    Ahmed, those are some great numbers, nice work! Any reason in particular you didn’t want to refi instead of sell? 


     The biggest reason was just not wanting to manage a property from out of state. I felt much more comfortable cashing out and re-investing in my own market

  • Property Manager · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2022 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    4y
    Quote from @Jordan Spaans:

    Ahmed, those are some great numbers, nice work! Any reason in particular you didn’t want to refi instead of sell? 


     The biggest reason was not wanting to manage a property from out of state. I felt much more comfortable cashing out my money and re-investing in my own market. 

  • Realtor · Miami, FL · Member since 2019 · 46 posts · 22 votes
    4y

    Hey Ahmed, first off Kudos to you for diving into the Miami real estate market from out of town. I think this was a great deal and although it did not sell at the price you had hoped I think you still sold it at a great price. This neighborhood is interesting as it is very up and coming, but not quite ready for airbnb just yet. I advise my investors that Little Haiti is more a long term rent play. Either way nice job getting in and cashing out at the right time.

    P.S. I lived in Hampden, Baltimore for a year when I was at my old job, I miss baltimore.

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    Congratulations on this investment @Ahmed Bayoumi ! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.