Deal Diary -- Wilmington, NC LTR -- 18% COC -- It can be done!!

Deal Diary -- Wilmington, NC LTR -- 18% COC -- It can be done!!

Wes M.Pro Member
Rental Property Investor · Southeastern, NC · Member since 2018 · 163 posts · 146 votes

Really starting to learn the power of real estate with this last deal.

Investment Info:

Single-family residence buy & hold investment.

Purchase price: $372,500
Cash invested: $57,000 (seller paid closing costs at $8500)

What made you interested in investing in this type of deal?

Ease of LTR compared to last setup of STR and property location.

How did you find this deal and how did you negotiate it?

Cold-called homeowner 8 months ago and left a voicemail asking if she needed help managing the property and if she ever wanted to sell to please let me know. No response and then 1.5 months ago she called out of the blue and stated she wanted to sell. I sent an offer at $352,500 -- she countered at $372,500 and I said deal. Following inspection, I was able to negotiate $8,500 in closing costs.

How did you finance this deal?

Conventional financing 85/15 LTV at 4.25%. Really hustled to find this loan product. Cash was running short due to a recent STR acquisition and I did not want to put $85,000 down. PMI is $87 per month.

How did you add value to the deal?

Very little work needed -- minor maintenance items. I had professional photos taken - drone included - to highlight the property and location. I typically wouldn't do that for a LTR, but in this case at the list price point it made sense.

What was the outcome?

Rented for $3,200/month with cashflow of $900. The property purchase was off-market. The value if sold or listed on the MLS is $475,000. I have immediate $100k equity. Essentially, I made a $100k phone call.

Lessons learned? Challenges?

Make phone calls and talk to people. Figure out how to close a deal. I was concerned about cash needed to close at 20% down plus closing costs --  which resulted in several sleepless nights. I was also concerned the rents would not be achievable as I planned to initially list at $2,950 - which is the rental Zestimate and a figure I still thought to be too high. However, on the advice of my mortgage broker, close friend, and fellow investor I decided to list at $3,200. 

Result: I had a lease signed 4 days later and less than 2 weeks after closing.

Did you work with any real estate professionals (agents, lenders, etc.) that you'd recommend to others?

Shaun Utterson of Angel Oak Loans. 

8Reply
21 views

Most Popular Reply

Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 1 vote
4y

Let's Go! Cold calling still works for sure. Good deal in a very competitive market in Wilmington. 

See this reply in the discussion

12 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    Hey Wes, 

    Congratulations! Thanks for sharing this. 

    It's always great to see people having success in Real Estate. Keep it up!

    Regards,

    David 

  • Rental Property Investor · Rocky Point, NC · Member since 2017 · 70 posts · 84 votes
    4y

    @Wes M.

    Nice work! Shaun is a great guy.

    Let’s connect some time!

  • Realtor | Product Manager at BiggerPockets · Metro Detroit, MI · Member since 2022 · 118 posts · 127 votes
    4y

    @Wes M. nice going! this is encouraging to see people still making nice deals happen when everyone else is saying it can't be done in today's climate

    BiggerPockets
  • Wes M.Pro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Southeastern, NC · Member since 2018 · 163 posts · 146 votes
    4y

    @Nate Slappey III @David Ramirez @Jason Velie Thank you very much -- I did not believe those numbers were possible, but I kept moving along with the acquisition. Perhaps you really do make your own luck. 

  • Member since 2020 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    Let's Go! Cold calling still works for sure. Good deal in a very competitive market in Wilmington. 

  • Solo 401k Expert · Anaheim Hills, CA · Member since 2012 · 18k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    4y

    Nice! Congrats @Wes M.

  • Member since 2022 · 32 posts · 21 votes
    4y

    @Wes M. Nice Job man! Love the hustle!

  • Investor · Member since 2019 · 7 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    Went to UNCW for undergrad in early 2000s.  If only I purchased back then!

  • Hunter CrimPro Member
    Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    @Wes M. Awesome job. I had a quick question around how you financed that deal. I noticed you were able to get a 85/15 for this property. Did you get a primary residence designation given that it's below 20 to 25%? If that is the case did you actually move into the house for set amount of time before you rented it out as a Long term Rental?

  • Wes M.Pro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Southeastern, NC · Member since 2018 · 163 posts · 146 votes
    4y

    @Hunter Crim Be sure to speak with your mortgage broker regarding ALL available loan options. For whatever reason, on the day I locked the rate in, this loan product had better rates than the 20% down option. It was an investment loan product -- we're not moving in. 

  • Hunter CrimPro Member
    Member since 2021 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    4y
    Quote from @Wes M.:

    @Hunter Crim Be sure to speak with your mortgage broker regarding ALL available loan options. For whatever reason, on the day I locked the rate in, this loan product had better rates than the 20% down option. It was an investment loan product -- we're not moving in. 


    Totally Makes sense. That's good to know. Just to confirm you were able to find an nonqualified investment loan product that only required 15% down? Also, were you still able to get a 30-year fix term or is it ARM at 4.25%.

  • Wes M.Pro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Southeastern, NC · Member since 2018 · 163 posts · 146 votes
    4y

    @Hunter Crim That is correct, only 15% down and 30-year fixed at 4.25%. PMI is an additional $87 per month.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.