1031 exchanging up to a better town and deal

1031 exchanging up to a better town and deal

William CollinsPro Member
Investor · Rocky Hill, CT · Member since 2013 · 373 posts · 299 votes

So today is the end of a long journey. One that made me nervous and excited.  I am buying my largest deal to date, 14 units at one shot.  The units are in a great town in Connecticut, part of Canton. The deal involved selling 5 of my properties (duplexes and a triplex) to get it done. So I sold approximately $1250000 of property to net $480,000 in a 1031 exchange to then use to buy $1750000 of property.  

The big wins:

1) Going from C class towns with C class buildings to a B class town. (Manchester and New Britain) 

2) Dropping taxes paid per year from just over $30,000 to less than $15000

3) Dropping water and sewer rates due to the new property being submetered. 

4) Consolidating units closer to my Property Manager.

Once the property is fully stabilized it should net $4200 cash flow free and clear/ month. 

Big shout outs to my cousin/partner and @Michael Noto who helped me get my sales done!

11Reply
25 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 7 votes
4y

Congrats! I used to live in CT and know that area well. I would say you absolutely made the right move! My only question would be, do you have other properties in the portfolio to balance it out? Congrats again! 

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · VA · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 4 votes
    4y

    Congratulations! This has to be such an amazing feeling and accomplishment. Scaling up and finding the tax strategies to benefit. Amazing!

  • Developer · Santa Barbara, CA · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    Congrats! I used to live in CT and know that area well. I would say you absolutely made the right move! My only question would be, do you have other properties in the portfolio to balance it out? Congrats again! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Manchester, NH · Member since 2015 · 160 posts · 148 votes
    4y

    Congrats Will! This sounds like a great move! Good Luck! 

  • Investor · Miami Florida · Member since 2021 · 11 posts · 7 votes
    4y

    Congratulations! Keep it up! More properties to come

  • Brandon RushPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Portland, CT · Member since 2019 · 761 posts · 849 votes
    4y

    Good stuff Will! You the man.

  • Real Estate Agent · Southington, CT · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    4y

    Congrats and thank you for the kind words @William Collins. It has been great watching your business grow over the years and seeing your hard work pay off. 

  • Bridgeport, CT · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    4y

    @William Collins Congrats! Can you please break it down for a newbie. I'm confused about the last sentence, "So I sold approximately $1250000 of property to net $480,000 in a 1031 exchange to then use to buy $1750000 of property." Thanks.

  • Rental Property Investor · Navarre, FL · Member since 2019 · 913 posts · 640 votes
    4y

    Wow, well done! 

    I am in the process of selling my 4 plex and looking for something to 1031 into. I'd love to go bigger multi, but am also considering a STR on the beach here in Florida.

  • William CollinsPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Rocky Hill, CT · Member since 2013 · 373 posts · 299 votes
    4y

    @Alex Velez  Here is the breakdown of my situation

    TownNumber of UnitsRent roll/monthEstimated ValueNet changePrice of sale
    New Britain3$2,650245000Sold$260,000
    Manchester2$2,500230000 SOLD for 260000SOLD$260,000
    New Britain2$2,600210000 Sold for 22000SOLD$220,000
    New Britain2$2,450210000 Sold for 260000SOLD$260,000
    Manchester2$2,650245000 Sold for 260000SOLD$260,000
    Equity returned and growth for 1031$485,000
    Canton3$3,325$400,000boughtFixed 30 year 5.25
    Canton11$12,155$1,375,000boughtFixed 30 year 5.75
    subtotal$1,755,000
    Manchester2$2,750$280,000Keeping
    Berlin3$3,950$400,000Keeping
    Bristol2$2,300$210,000Keeping
    Bristol4$4,745$350,000Keeping
    Manchester2$2,250$210,000Keeping
    Bristol6$7,190$650,000Keeping
    Southington2$2,500$325,000Keeping
    Southington2$2,500$325,000Keeping
    Manchester2$2,800$250,000Keeping
    Manchester2$2,500$250,000Keeping
    Berlin2$2,550$270,000Going for sale
    43$51,515$5,275,000
    Manchester4$4,000$450,000buying$290,000
    Manchester3$3,000$300,000buying$160,000
  • Professional · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 876 posts · 301 votes
    4y

    Congrats! Great to see you doing pretty well with taking all the right steps.

  • Rental Property Investor · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @William Collins congrats! Presumably you had the multi under contract prior to selling/listing your houses? Sounds like quite a feat!

  • William CollinsPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Rocky Hill, CT · Member since 2013 · 373 posts · 299 votes
    4y

    @Brian G.  I actually began selling my properties first.  I had come to the conclusion I want to move away from duplex units long-term and into more tri/ quads/ bigger.  By the time I had my first two under contract to sell I found this opportunity. 

  • Bridgeport, CT · Member since 2016 · 24 posts · 5 votes
    4y

    @William Collins Awesome! Thanks. This is great visual to learn from. All the best. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Biddeford Maine · Member since 2021 · 7 posts · 1 vote
    4y

    @William Collins. Congrats William!! I am just doing the same thing today!!!! I bought three properties in Rumford and Mexico Maine 2 years ago, today I close on the sale of a property in old orchard beach Maine. I am also doing a 1031 exchange although my net earnings are not quite as eye watering and juicy as yours I am excited to be moving up in equity and stability!!!!

  • Ryan AllisonPro Member
    Investor · Connecticut / Massachusetts · Member since 2019 · 65 posts · 38 votes
    4y

    Congrats @William Collins, that's awesome stuff.  Were you ever nervous you weren't going to find a deal on the back end when you starting the 1031 process?  

  • William CollinsPro Member
    OP
    Investor · Rocky Hill, CT · Member since 2013 · 373 posts · 299 votes
    4y

    @Ryan Allison There were deals that were "OK" smaller deals.  Random 4 plex here/ triplex there,   so I knew that I could find homes for the money. The nervous part was when I got the appraisal back.   The 11 unit is valued 40k over what I am buying it for, but the triplex was 40k under.  To make sure this was covered I unloaded a fifth property to an investor as an off market deal to make sure I had to bring no cash to the deal.  I may have lost 25,000 on what I could have gotten above what the investor paid me for this duplex, but it was low hassle and fast.

  • Real Estate Broker · Kansas City Metro · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    This is exactly how you use a 1031 Exchange to upgrade your wealth. Congratulations!!

  • Sean DelisleBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Londonderry, NH · Member since 2021 · 102 posts · 50 votes
    4y

    Love it!  Way to take action.

    Elevate Property Group|BHHS Verani5131 Reviews
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.