Illinois Appreciation and Taxes

Illinois Appreciation and Taxes

Rental Property Investor · Washburn, IL · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 8 votes

Hey Illinois BP investors! My wife and I just got started with our first rental property in a small town in central Illinois. 2 duplexes for about $45k per unit. We're new to the game, so I am soaking up as much knowledge as I can from this site and from books.

As we look towards the future, searching for new investments, I am getting more comfortable analyzing deals. 2 things that I have run into which creates obstacles for investors in IL:

1. Little to no appreciation

2. Insanely high taxes

People are leaving IL at incredible rates, and the state government has not made policies attractive for businesses to come or stay in IL. Thus, making our properties stay at the same price points. In most deals I have analyzed, the sales price of properties in down state IL are the same they were 20 years ago if not lower. I say down state because Chicagoland is it's own world apart.

On top of this, we have to plan on setting enough money aside for the property taxes which is as much as the mortgage payment.

Our cost of entry is low, and it is much easier to buy a property, but so is our neighboring states and your don't have to deal with high taxes and appreciation issue.

I want my money to work for me, and I also want to do a few deals closer to home, to learn and to get more comfortable, so I am reaching out to the local experienced investors here.

How have you overcome these barriers?

Are there areas where properties are appreciating?

People are investing here, so there is a reason. These are obstacles, not road blocks, but I just don't have the years of experience to know what outcomes to look forward too.

2Reply
14 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Tony AngelosPro Member
    Real Estate Agent · Member since 2019 · 192 posts · 131 votes
    5y

    @Scott Forney These are all great questions and concerns. You are right, Chicago is a total different topic from the rest of Illinois and I truly cannot speak to the Peoria area market.

    But, I will give my two cents...If people are investing there, values must be rising. If there aren't builders, supply stays the same but investors means theres demand. Increased demand, same supply...prices are going to rise.

    Also, just because prices haven't changed in 20 years, does not mean that will be the same for the next 20 years. I don't know where you're investing specifically, but if it's a small town I would think you'd have better access to get involved in the community to push initiatives that increase the quality of life of residents and vis a vis incerase demand of the town vs neighboring towns.

    Lastly, when you're analyzing these deals, if vakues haven't changed in 20 years, and I will assume rents haven't either, if the deal cashflows now then it's got a good chance of cashflowing later. Besides, no one know which areas will be appreciating 2 years from now, let alone 2 months from now.

  • Rental Property Investor · Washburn, IL · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 8 votes
    5y

    @Tony Angelos thanks for response Tony. It helps to have an optimistic view of the area. I've often thought that investing in a small community would give you that option to "curb" the market by sort of setting your own market rent as long as it is reasonable.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.