Anyone doing rentals in Rockford, DeKalb IL or Beloit, WI

Anyone doing rentals in Rockford, DeKalb IL or Beloit, WI

Rental Property Investor · Aurora, IL · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 0 votes

I am hoping to hear from people that have been renting properties in Rockford Illinois, DeKalb Illinois and/or Beloit Wisconsin.

I plan to buy a 2-4 unit building by the end of the year possibly 2 buildings by then. I like the idea of multifamily over single family but I will go whichever way the money works out better. I am looking to target these areas because properties are cheaper, taxes are cheaper (not really in DeKalb), and I feel like I should be able to make a few properties work for me. I know these areas are not great areas and that is why everything is cheaper but I figure... the people in these town need to live somewhere!

Plus I thought it would be interesting for people investing in the same towns to have a conversation about their experiences.

Can't wait for the open dialog.

Thank you in advance,

James

0Reply
38 views

Most Popular Reply

Lloyd FulcerPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Winnebago, IL · Member since 2013 · 4 posts · 2 votes
7y

Piggybacking on Craig's comment above, you may think the taxes are low but it's a high percentage.  Rockford proper is 5%, so a 100,000 house will cost you $5k/yr.  Remember that the taxable value is set by the assessor, which may count your purchase price or what they will appraise it at by the neighborhood.  Lots of local terms and conditions apply with this.  The rest of the county may be around 4% Ptax.  Purchase price may be low here but some of the holding costs are higher, percentage wise.  A 1% deal here may lose you money if your financed.

Bottom line, where ever you invest- do your homework and know what your getting into.

See this reply in the discussion

18 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor / Real Estate Agent · Aurora, IL · Member since 2015 · 170 posts · 42 votes
    7y

    @James J Strnad I am curious on Dekalb and Rockford as well, rents are pretty low there so the big benefit is the low purchase price.  I love multi-family buildings, I have 2 in Aurora and have had 0 vacancies and evictions. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Aurora, IL · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Nate Shields would love to connect

  • Rental Property Investor · Aurora, IL · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Miguel Castillo I live in Aurora. I was looking West and North for price point.

  • Kenneth GarrettPro Member
    Investor · Florida Panhandle/Illinois · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    7y

    @James J Strnad

    I have a licensed rooming house two blocks from campus I bought a couple of years ago.  Bought this off market.  Good cash flow.

  • Rental Property Investor · Aurora, IL · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    What is a licensed rooming house? Student housing I would assume. How has it been renting to students if so.

  • Investor · TN · Member since 2014 · 508 posts · 167 votes
    7y

    I invest in NE Rockford and Loves Park and am part of a couple of investor groups that are finding deals. The prices are decent and rents have been increasing but make sure you account for the high tax rate. The listed inventory has been low for years causing homes to just recently appreciated above 2007 prices.

  • Lloyd FulcerPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Winnebago, IL · Member since 2013 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    Piggybacking on Craig's comment above, you may think the taxes are low but it's a high percentage.  Rockford proper is 5%, so a 100,000 house will cost you $5k/yr.  Remember that the taxable value is set by the assessor, which may count your purchase price or what they will appraise it at by the neighborhood.  Lots of local terms and conditions apply with this.  The rest of the county may be around 4% Ptax.  Purchase price may be low here but some of the holding costs are higher, percentage wise.  A 1% deal here may lose you money if your financed.

    Bottom line, where ever you invest- do your homework and know what your getting into.

  • Investor · Nipomo, CA · Member since 2014 · 366 posts · 401 votes
    7y

    I've been looking at Beloit a lot lately and even helped another investor purchase a SFH recently. My main investing partner has quite a few doors there as well. He just recently started a PM company with another investor to handle their growing portfolios, as well as help other investors in the area since there is not much in the way of great PM options.

    The inventory is there along with renters looking for housing. Definitely worth a look. 

    In case you'd like to reach out, the partner I eluded to is @Dave Corfman. Another investor worth asking abut Beloit is @Kole Kingslien. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @James J Strnad and @Jack Medford - I started giving DeKalb and Beloit a look recently too. I'm looking to do my first deal and have been really focused on the numbers and not making the error of overpaying for my first property. As a result, I'm being pushed West from where I reside (downtown Chicago) and focusing on areas with a more attractive tax profile. It's amazing to me how unattractive a lot of the Chicago area is from an investment perspective if you focus on Cap Rate and Cash on Cash Returns. I'm not trying to say you can't make money by investing in Chicago, but it sure seems difficult to start out there. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Aurora, IL · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Jack Medford thanks for the info. I do plan to use a property manager and have heard that they can be harder to find on lower price point properties.

  • Rental Property Investor · Aurora, IL · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Craig Wilcox how many properties do you have? Single family or multi? What are the trends looking like? If you don't mind.

  • Rental Property Investor · Aurora, IL · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Kenneth Garrett how is renting to students. My son will very likely go to NIU (or somewhere) and I am planning to find something to buy and rent out while he is there to cover his living costs.

  • Investor · TN · Member since 2014 · 508 posts · 167 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @James J Strnad:

    @Craig Wilcox how many properties do you have? Single family or multi? What are the trends looking like? If you don't mind.

     James, 

    We have and manage a mix of SFH's and plexes. Our turnover has been minimal and quick to fill. Tenant screening is critical as there are a lot of inquiries from people that do not qualify.

    Rents, as well as home prices, have been increasing steadily for the last few years. This month has been crazy as there were about 500 homes flooded in MP and Roscoe. Many of those homes were rentals removing supply from the market, at least temporarily. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Aurora, IL · Member since 2019 · 12 posts · 0 votes
    7y

    @Craig Wilcox thanks for the info. Appreciated.

  • Investor · Janesville, WI · Member since 2013 · 180 posts · 155 votes
    7y

    No No and Yes!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.