Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Local Real Estate Networking
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Amy Davidson
  • Investor
  • Clearwater, FL
Votes |
Tampa -- BuildBlock Insulating Concrete Forms (ICFs)

Amy Davidson
  • Investor
  • Clearwater, FL
Posted Sep 29 2018, 08:31

Hey Tampa Bay area BPers!

On a trip to Carroll's Building Supplies in St. Pete a few months back I got really excited about BuildBlock Insulating Concrete Forms, or ICFs.  I read everything on Carroll's website and scoured the web for all the cost information, etc. but I haven't been able to find anyone who's actually built with it.   Is there anyone out there who has used ICFs?  The advantages, in theory, are so huge and I'd like to know if they are true in real life:

1.  Do they really hurricane proof a house like the studies show?  And then what about the roof, isn't that your biggest weakness then and how to you strengthen that up?

2.  Is your insurance therefore so much cheaper?

3.  And is electricity really just 20 bucks a month in the Florida summer?  

4.  All the trade websites say that in the end they're only a tiny percentage more expensive than regular concrete block because the labor costs go way down.    Can you share any numbers?

5. Do tenants then care if they and their belongings are safer so you can charge a premium? I'm a buy and holder, but looking to be a build and holder.

I know I'm nothing but questions, but I'd be so appreciative of any information at all you could provide.  I promise to pay it forward some day!     Thanks!

User Stats

Votes
Tom Parris
  • Realtor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Realtor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Oct 1 2018, 13:50

Hi @Amy Davidson,

To me seems like a specialty item for those building a custom home, with a builder who excels with using that material. I can only assume there's a learning curve that comes with it, and since an average builder wouldn't be quite familiar with IFCs, I can also assume that municipalities that govern them wouldn't be familiar with that either causing a slow influence. There is a community in Apollo Beach that does build a net zero home, it's called Waterset. 

In my opinion, I would change other construction materials to make the home better before I switched from block to ICFs. Block is still a good insulator, water/termite resistant, and hurricane proof, while there's room for improvement in windows, insulation, AC efficiency etc. I wish to bet you the study they conducted featured upgraded windows, doors, and insulation. 

If you want a lower insurance premium, build with block, (or ICFs) and install a 4-12 hip roof to code, with hurricane impact windows and doors, not near the water, or in the wind impact zone. 

You are right, your roof is the first line of defense to the elements. Building code will change depending on your location. Hillsborough County has a wind impact zone that goes diagonally through the county, if you're above, your code requirements are easier than those of below the line. Current building code requirements are pretty solid when it comes to hurricane resistance. 

I don't think renters care. The premium they are willing to pay for is location and quality of finishes. If you want to pass on benefits a renter will appreciate, buy a condo or townhouse with community amenities and included utilities. They love those. 

User Stats

Votes
Amy Davidson
  • Investor
  • Clearwater, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Clearwater, FL
Replied Oct 1 2018, 14:15

Hey @Tom Parris    Thanks for much for your reply.  I have several houses in Hillsborough and have never even heard of that diagonal wind impact zone.  I'll definitely be figuring out where my current properties are thinking more strategically on future purchases.    I'm going to check out Waterset and keep looking for some actual ICF projects to look at.    Thanks for the tips on practical things renters love.  ICFs might qualify as an over-upgrade!  

Thanks again!

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes