Skip to content
Local Real Estate Networking

User Stats

Votes
Amy Davidson
  • Investor
  • Clearwater, FL
Votes |
Tampa -- BuildBlock Insulating Concrete Forms (ICFs)

Amy Davidson
  • Investor
  • Clearwater, FL
Posted Sep 29 2018, 08:31

Hey Tampa Bay area BPers!

On a trip to Carroll's Building Supplies in St. Pete a few months back I got really excited about BuildBlock Insulating Concrete Forms, or ICFs.  I read everything on Carroll's website and scoured the web for all the cost information, etc. but I haven't been able to find anyone who's actually built with it.   Is there anyone out there who has used ICFs?  The advantages, in theory, are so huge and I'd like to know if they are true in real life:

1.  Do they really hurricane proof a house like the studies show?  And then what about the roof, isn't that your biggest weakness then and how to you strengthen that up?

2.  Is your insurance therefore so much cheaper?

3.  And is electricity really just 20 bucks a month in the Florida summer?  

4.  All the trade websites say that in the end they're only a tiny percentage more expensive than regular concrete block because the labor costs go way down.    Can you share any numbers?

5. Do tenants then care if they and their belongings are safer so you can charge a premium? I'm a buy and holder, but looking to be a build and holder.

I know I'm nothing but questions, but I'd be so appreciative of any information at all you could provide.  I promise to pay it forward some day!     Thanks!

Loading replies...