VA Loans don't Qualify for Cash-Out Refi?

VA Loans don't Qualify for Cash-Out Refi?

Nashville, TN · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 3 votes

First-time poster, here. My wife and I bought our first home, with a VA loan, when I received PCS orders to South Carolina in 2017. Between that time and 2020, I made the decision to separate from the military and gain some sort of normalcy to my life and made the jump into RE investing. I hired a property manager and put my home up for rent and moved home to Nashville, TN. My wife and I found a duplex in the heart of Nashville where we are currently house hacking. One side of our duplex is fairly up to date, by that I mean the kitchen has a dishwasher, microwave, and other creature comforts that modern families expect. However, with regard to our kitchen, it has a sink, a fridge, and some cabinets. Needless to say, we want to update and eventually turn this into a dual rental property.

I say all this because that home in Beaufort has been building equity for us and I'm exploring the idea of a HELOC or Cash-Out Refi. I spoke to my current lender out of SC and I was told that can't qualify for a Cash-Out Refi on a VA loan. Does this sound correct? If so, can someone explain why that is? I've never missed a payment. And my credit is pretty close to 800. Any insight would help. Thanks in advance.

I'm am shopping around with other lenders. Just seemed odd to me that a VA loan is what would disqualify me from getting equity out of my home. Especially, when I'm in great standing.

0Reply
20 views

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    5y

    Sounds like the property is an investment property now if you are no longer living in it. VA loans are owner occupant loans.

  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Russell Brazil

    It’s an investment property now. It wasn’t primary res when I lived in SC.

  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Russell Brazil

    Was*

  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Christopher Whitson:

    @Russell Brazil

    It’s an investment property now. It wasn’t primary res when I lived in SC.

    Correct, you can not get another VA loan on it, thus no cash out refinance unless you do a conventional investment property loan.

  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2020 · 9 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    @Russell Brazil

    Got it. Thanks for the feedback Russell!

  • Andrew PostellPro Member
    Lender · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2016 · 8k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    5y

    @Christopher Whitson you have some good responses above but I wanted to add one other item here just in case - to get a cash out loan on an investment property would require you to have more than 25% equity. Meaning, the LIMIT on an investment cash out loan is 75% "loan-to-value" (or LTV). And your rate would be much higher. However, you are still permitted to do a VA STREAMLINE refinance. Meaning, a NO CASH OUT VA refinance. So there might be opportunity to lower your payment some if that is of benefit. Just a thought but feel free to ask anything else additional if you need. Thanks!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.