Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat

User Stats

Votes
Tanner Jenkins
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charlotte, Nc
Votes |
House hacking and renovations

Tanner Jenkins
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Charlotte, Nc
Posted Dec 23 2020, 08:27

Hey everyone! I just bought my first house in Charlotte, NC in late August with the intention of doing a little rehab while I live there. It's a 4 bed 3 bath and I currently have one roomate that helps me split the morgatge. I am advertising another one of the rooms and making sure to add all my expenses into the rental cost (property managment, vacancies, repairs, cap ex, etc.).

My plan for this property is to live in for approximately a year while I do the renovations, and then move out when they are complete and rent the house as a whole rather then room by room.

My issue at the moment is whether I should wait to do the bulk of my renovations shortly before I move out or to do them now and be able to advertise my additional room for more until I am ready to move out.

Am I approaching this in the right way, and what other advise do you guys have for me?

Loading replies...