Cement backer board over drywall

Cement backer board over drywall

Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 3 votes

Just pulled off some paneling on a rehab job and behind it was a thin layer of plaster. Then, 1/2 inch Cement backer board. THEN drywall.... 

So from outside in, it's vinyl siding, weatherproof wrap, sheathing, studs, drywall, backer board plaster, paneling. 

Why would someone do that? Was it common to put Cement or plaster over the top of drywall in the early 50's?

And what do I do about it? I'm considering either removing it down to the studs and putting up drywall or just adding a layer of 3/8 drywall over it to smooth it out and calling it good. 

0Reply
18 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Boise, ID · Member since 2020 · 173 posts · 198 votes
6y

@Greg Clark unless your substrate is not sound I would do the easiest thing you can to make it look right.  There is no reason to spend all the time to take all the interior material off when you can simply deal with the small area you have removed.

See this reply in the discussion

6 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Broker · Hyde Park Tampa, FL · Member since 2019 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    6y

    I've seen something similar to this before as well; unfortunately it was in my own 1925 home.  I call it "owner tracing."  It's said that "every owner takes a house to the next level." But often times, it leads me to wonder why there isn't a ban to keep some people from ever going into a Home Depot.  Plaster - in mid-century homes - was used to provide a "nicer, harder surface" over hardibacker/drywall/more so that may be the reason for it over all the other "stuff." 

    So-o-o what to do...sometimes making it right reveals a whole lot of more wrong.  You might be better off just getting the paneling off and then finding a way to get to a surface that gives you a nice enough wall finish.  

    You're a brave man to have plowed through that maze of walls.  Definitely not for the meek.  Please let us know what you do in the end - and may the force be with you...

  • Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Oh, interesting. Thanks for that insight.

    I think that unless something changes my mind before I get to the store tomorrow, I'll probably just do 3/8 inch drywall over the top and call it good. Though I am super curious what's behind that drywall... 

  • Developer · Boise, ID · Member since 2020 · 173 posts · 198 votes
    6y

    @Greg Clark unless your substrate is not sound I would do the easiest thing you can to make it look right.  There is no reason to spend all the time to take all the interior material off when you can simply deal with the small area you have removed.

  • Investor · Akron, OH · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    6y

    I heard it called rockwall but I think it's gypsum board and it was used instead of lathe as a base for plaster. I think it was an early precursor to modern drywall. (I had a ceiling fall down that was made like that in a 1930 house).

  • Rental Property Investor · Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2020 · 540 posts · 285 votes
    6y

    @Greg Clark

    Laminate over it with the 1/4” GWB just make sure the door and window jambs line up.

  • Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Wow, I didn't even know they made it in 1/4 inch. Thanks! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.