New HVAC unit to 1930s rehab where none existed?

New HVAC unit to 1930s rehab where none existed?

Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 10 votes

Planning a rehab for a 1930s 2-story 3 bedroom 1.5 bath house. Rehab is purely cosmetic and quoted around 5-7K to get it rent ready. Previously only had a ground floor furnace for heating and one window A/C unit for cooling. During inspection the furnace is found to be completely out of commission. I know I must provide a way for heating and air con in the home. Im waiting for quotes from HVAC companies but I’d like to ask your opinion. Would you invest in a complete new HVAC system and duct installation where none exists? Or start out with fans, window units and heating units? I want to minimize the risk for fires since the bedrooms are carpeted. Goal is to get it rehabbed and rented ASAP. I welcome any advice!

0Reply
12 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mobile, AL · Member since 2018 · 121 posts · 136 votes
    6y

    I would definitely get it quoted out, and see if the numbers will make sense for you. 

    However, even if the numbers don't make sense, surely bitting the bullet and getting it done wouldn't totally trash the deal, and it would provide a much safer and efficient method for cooling and heating the property. Being that it's brand new, you also wouldn't have much of any maintenance issues with it for a good long bit. 

    With the house being from the 30's, I'm sure that will bring about issues of its own with thermal efficiency, etc. Another thing to consider is the class of property you are wanting to renovate the property too, for a rental. If you the area is a C class area, then window units and portable heaters might be perfectly fine. If the property is A or B class however, not many renters will want to pay that price tag for no central A/C. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Oklahoma City, OK · Member since 2019 · 42 posts · 10 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Joshua Ferrari:

    I would definitely get it quoted out, and see if the numbers will make sense for you. 

    However, even if the numbers don't make sense, surely bitting the bullet and getting it done wouldn't totally trash the deal, and it would provide a much safer and efficient method for cooling and heating the property. Being that it's brand new, you also wouldn't have much of any maintenance issues with it for a good long bit. 

    With the house being from the 30's, I'm sure that will bring about issues of its own with thermal efficiency, etc. Another thing to consider is the class of property you are wanting to renovate the property too, for a rental. If you the area is a C class area, then window units and portable heaters might be perfectly fine. If the property is A or B class however, not many renters will want to pay that price tag for no central A/C. 

    Thanks for the feedback and comparison. The house is located in a Class B near a few schools within walking distance. Houses around there are about the same age. One street over, it becomes Class A. So I may bite the bullet and go for it. I’ll run the numbers and make sure it pays for itself. Thanks again! 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.