0-9 Units in our first calendar year while in surgical residency!

0-9 Units in our first calendar year while in surgical residency!

Rental Property Investor · Moultrie, GA · Member since 2018 · 99 posts · 60 votes

Happy pandemic everyone... I wanted to take some time to share the wild and exciting ride that my wife and I have been on over the last 12 months. We have posted several times on BiggerPockets regarding our interest in real estate investing. I am currently in orthopedic surgery residency and my wife is a full-time special ed teacher. We have two small children and are very busy. However, I wanted to tell our story here with hopes to give back to this community due to the positive impact this community has had on us.

First, I would like to specifically thank @brandonturner, @davidgreene, @joshdorkin and the bigger pockets podcast community for their impact on our learning and journey thus far.

I’ll start a year ago. My wife and I initially began discussing our retirement plan midway through my third year of residency. At this point, I had mountains of medical school debt and had not saved a dime to my retirement. Therefore, I investigated a way to utilize calculated risk to develop cash flow options that we could utilize in retirement in addition to our traditional investment portfolio. This led me to BiggerPockets. Fast forward several months, where we purchased our first duplex in Valdosta Georgia. We did this fairly non-traditionally. Due to my debt to income ratio and my lack of initial capital, we were unable to secure traditional financing with most institutions. Therefore, I began by contacting as many smaller community banks as possible. This brought us to the institution that we eventually used. This was Commercial Banking Company of Valdosta Georgia, specifically Taylor Biddle. They allowed me to utilize my future orthopedic surgery contract as collateral to obtain no money down financing. We purchased the duplex, established stable renters and then moved on. As the months progressed, I continued my orthopedic training and we utilized our first direct mail campaign. Mailing approximately 130 letters, we closed on our second property, another duplex. After stabilizing this, we utilized our contact with a local broker to close on five additional three bedroom/2 bathroom single-family rental homes. Subsequently, We have placed renters in these homes and stabilized them, allowing me to pursue refinance options to potentially save two points on our debt. I say all of this to initiate discussion regarding how we got started, how we utilize non-traditional financing as well as the value associated with the BiggerPockets forum and the bigger pockets podcast.

Specifically, I’d like to briefly talk about time management and how you can gain knowledge in your daily life utilizing these resources. The way I did this is by utilizing headphones and listening to the BiggerPockets podcast throughout my daily commute to and from work as well as between responsibilities in the hospital. Push to learn all the time! Additionally, I’ve listen to multiple audiobooks which I can recommend if people would like this information. I know this is a very long post but I wanted to initiate some discussion and express my gratitude to this community of people. We are off to a great start and I as well as my wife have big dreams moving forward. Thanks again!

8Reply
65 views

Most Popular Reply

Austin · Member since 2018 · 108 posts · 47 votes
6y

Congrats @Franky Davis! Very cool to see creative ways to financing RE investing! 

I am assuming you are leveraged pretty high to be able to invest with smaller investment capital. What kind of cash flow are you able to get per door? 

How confident are you that these properties will continue cash flowing positively if rents were to go down by 10-20% in a recession? 

See this reply in the discussion

25 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Southwest Georgia · Member since 2017 · 312 posts · 278 votes
    6y

    @Franky Davis Congrats Franky! It’s funny I use Commercial Banking Company too in Valdosta! I work with Andy Griffin in all my Valdosta properties. Keep up the good work Valdosta is a great place to invest, hoping I can get a few more in that market soon.

  • Rental Property Investor · Moultrie, GA · Member since 2018 · 99 posts · 60 votes
    6y

    Man I’ve been very satisfied with them. I think you can get that sort of relationship experience with local banking. But, CBC has been exceptional. Thanks for the post.

  • Austin · Member since 2018 · 108 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    Congrats @Franky Davis! Very cool to see creative ways to financing RE investing! 

    I am assuming you are leveraged pretty high to be able to invest with smaller investment capital. What kind of cash flow are you able to get per door? 

    How confident are you that these properties will continue cash flowing positively if rents were to go down by 10-20% in a recession? 

  • Rental Property Investor · Moultrie, GA · Member since 2018 · 99 posts · 60 votes
    6y

    @Gil Segev Great questions and appropriate concern for risk. At this point, I think I would be considered over leveraged perhaps in the traditional sense simply because I have no money down financing. However, a few things helped me mitigate that risk, none of which completely eliminate it. First, I purchased at 100% occupancy with at least half of the year lease remaining. Second, I was able to step into a decent equity position, purchasing at an approximately 20% discount for some and 10-15% discount on others. Third, I knew that the properties were under market significantly, they were in a good price range in a market that has a shortage of properties in that range. Upping rent on the ones I've purchased have allowed me to come out around a 9.5-10 cap on everything. Some better, some worse. And lastly, I simply had to last until next summer. At that point, my W2 salary could easily float the note on all 9. That being said, I felt as if I was fairly safe with the current status of the market. So, my wife and I dove in, sort of playing with "house money" to learn the ropes and break through the analysis paralysis. Down the road, our significantly greater cash position will allow me to pursue larger assets. This experience is prepping for that. Sorry for the long response....but those were/are our thoughts.

  • Rental Property Investor · Moultrie, GA · Member since 2018 · 99 posts · 60 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed Very very true. Signing on that dotted line isn't hard if you're careless. Sure...rough breakdown:

    Duplex 1: Appraised 217k, Price 210k, Rent 2100/mo

    Duplex 2: Appraised 135k, Price 126.5k, Rent 1550/mo (total but under market)

    House 1: Appraised 76.5k, Price 61.5k, Rent 825/mo

    House 2: Appraised 76.5k, Price 61.5k, Rent 825/mo

    House 3: Appraised 77k, Price 61.5k, Rent 795/mo

    House 4: Appraised 77.5k, Price 61.5k, Rent 750/mo

    House 5: Appraised 82.5k, Price 72.5k, Rent 750/mo

  • Investor · Cherry Hill, NJ · Member since 2016 · 860 posts · 324 votes
    6y

    @Johnny B Bad

    Yep

  • Rental Property Investor · Navarre, FL · Member since 2019 · 913 posts · 640 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Franky Davis:

    @Account Closed Very very true. Signing on that dotted line isn't hard if you're careless. Sure...rough breakdown:

    Duplex 1: Appraised 217k, Price 210k, Rent 2100/mo

    Duplex 2: Appraised 135k, Price 126.5k, Rent 1550/mo (total but under market)

    House 1: Appraised 76.5k, Price 61.5k, Rent 825/mo

    House 2: Appraised 76.5k, Price 61.5k, Rent 825/mo

    House 3: Appraised 77k, Price 61.5k, Rent 795/mo

    House 4: Appraised 77.5k, Price 61.5k, Rent 750/mo

    House 5: Appraised 82.5k, Price 72.5k, Rent 750/mo

    Rock on Franky! Dr Rock! 

  • Austin · Member since 2018 · 108 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    @Franky Davis Got it now. You bought several >1-1.25% rental properties using creative financing. Very cool! I sincerely hope they will hold their rent in the coming months!

    Are these really low income properties like mentioned above? 

    I don't see any rehab money in your numbers. Does this mean all of these properties were in great conditions when you bought them? 

  • Investor · Tri State · Member since 2020 · 16 posts · 3 votes
    6y

    Hey @Franky Davis , great job . Thanks for sharing your journey with us . Me and my wife are also begin ours . I also pop in my headphones and listen to every podcast show I can. I love stories like this , motivates everyone .... I hope ! Will message you with some questions 

    Stay safe everyone , Happy Easter !

  • Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2020 · 4 posts · 7 votes
    6y

    @Franky Davis

    Great work Franky! This is fantastic and the rents are amazing for the value of the property compared to other states! I see the potential to cash flow even with a 10-20% downturn on those types of numbers.

  • Rental Property Investor · Moultrie, GA · Member since 2018 · 99 posts · 60 votes
    6y

    @Account Closed definitely understand what you mean. This has been a way for my wife and I to make connections and undergo the process initially. The market in our area supports this price range as a B to B+ asset and I don't consider them low income. Plus the cap ex coverage really made them a nice package. The goal is to move to value add multifamily (5-50 units) for sure in the future! Thanks for the comments.

    @Gil Segev I hope so too! And the rehab for the 5 single family homes was included as a 21k escrowed amount by the seller for 3 roofs, 3 HVACs, 4 Hotwater heaters and some cosmetic/electrical work. Really helped clean the deal for me. For the others, they were rented at purchase and clean. So, the only "improvements" were improvements at the turnovers. This wasn't too bad. And you're right for sure. I wouldn't consider them "low income". The gross prices are low compared to metropolitan areas. In my market, they are in a pretty decent sweet spot.

    @Jay Marz Awesome man I'd love to hear from you. I also have some great audible recommendations. Shoot me a message. Happy easter to you and I look forward to hearing from you.

    @Ed Zeid Thanks for the kind words! I think you're right about that although I'm a little anxious. We have some rainy day money saved in the business account too so we'll see what happens. I am preparing my financial documents to look into a refinance that would save me 1.5-2 points and possibly allow for an additional 600 or so of monthly cash flow. It's a crazy situation we've all been thrown into. I'm hoping to come out the other side ok. 

  • Austin · Member since 2018 · 108 posts · 47 votes
    6y

    @Franky Davis so when you said that you paid 61.5k for a house that was appraised for 76.5k, you really meant that your purchase + rehab cost was 61.5k? 

    House 1: Appraised 76.5k, Price 61.5k, Rent 825/mo

    If so, that's a pretty good deal! 

  • Rental Property Investor · NJ (new jersey) · Member since 2019 · 113 posts · 16 votes
    6y
    Originally posted by @Franky Davis:

    Happy pandemic everyone... I wanted to take some time to share the wild and exciting ride that my wife and I have been on over the last 12 months. We have posted several times on BiggerPockets regarding our interest in real estate investing. I am currently in orthopedic surgery residency and my wife is a full-time special ed teacher. We have two small children and are very busy. However, I wanted to tell our story here with hopes to give back to this community due to the positive impact this community has had on us.

    First, I would like to specifically thank @brandonturner, @davidgreene, @joshdorkin and the bigger pockets podcast community for their impact on our learning and journey thus far.

    I’ll start a year ago. My wife and I initially began discussing our retirement plan midway through my third year of residency. At this point, I had mountains of medical school debt and had not saved a dime to my retirement. Therefore, I investigated a way to utilize calculated risk to develop cash flow options that we could utilize in retirement in addition to our traditional investment portfolio. This led me to BiggerPockets. Fast forward several months, where we purchased our first duplex in Valdosta Georgia. We did this fairly non-traditionally. Due to my debt to income ratio and my lack of initial capital, we were unable to secure traditional financing with most institutions. Therefore, I began by contacting as many smaller community banks as possible. This brought us to the institution that we eventually used. This was Commercial Banking Company of Valdosta Georgia, specifically Taylor Biddle. They allowed me to utilize my future orthopedic surgery contract as collateral to obtain no money down financing. We purchased the duplex, established stable renters and then moved on. As the months progressed, I continued my orthopedic training and we utilized our first direct mail campaign. Mailing approximately 130 letters, we closed on our second property, another duplex. After stabilizing this, we utilized our contact with a local broker to close on five additional three bedroom/2 bathroom single-family rental homes. Subsequently, We have placed renters in these homes and stabilized them, allowing me to pursue refinance options to potentially save two points on our debt. I say all of this to initiate discussion regarding how we got started, how we utilize non-traditional financing as well as the value associated with the BiggerPockets forum and the bigger pockets podcast.

    Specifically, I’d like to briefly talk about time management and how you can gain knowledge in your daily life utilizing these resources. The way I did this is by utilizing headphones and listening to the BiggerPockets podcast throughout my daily commute to and from work as well as between responsibilities in the hospital. Push to learn all the time! Additionally, I’ve listen to multiple audiobooks which I can recommend if people would like this information. I know this is a very long post but I wanted to initiate some discussion and express my gratitude to this community of people. We are off to a great start and I as well as my wife have big dreams moving forward. Thanks again!

     how were you able to get no money down financing? whats this loan called? and which banks did you use?? the same banks for all the out of state properties?  

  • Rental Property Investor · Moultrie, GA · Member since 2018 · 99 posts · 60 votes
    6y

    @Gil Segev thanks! Yes that is correct.

  • Rental Property Investor · Moultrie, GA · Member since 2018 · 99 posts · 60 votes
    6y

    @Anthony Liguori sorry for the later response. I got no money down financing because the community bank used my future orthopedic surgery salary as collateral. This is a smaller community bank. So, they are able to hold the note on their books and manipulate the terms a little bit more. I think it's a good idea to reach out to a lot of smaller community banks in your area, in addition to credit unions, to begin establishing those relationships for better terms. You man not get no money down. However, a 10-15% reduction in down payment for investment property can be a jumpstart to get you in.

  • Rental Property Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2020 · 154 posts · 72 votes
    6y

    Massive kudos to you and your wife Franky!. Crazy to think I was exploring an opportunity around Macon.  Definitely looking up CBC and Taylor based on your share.

    #keepSMASHING 

  • Member since 2019 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    6y

    Wow, that is great! How you managed to secure that type of financing i'm sure must of felt risky, but you took the leap. nice job. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Moultrie, GA · Member since 2018 · 99 posts · 60 votes
    6y

    @Joseph M'Mwirichia thanks for the response! I actually grew up in Macon so small world. I think Macon is a good market and the outskirts of Macon have some great potential as well. Let me know if you'd like to continue to discuss Georgia investing. Perhaps we could partner up in the future. Have a great one!

  • Rental Property Investor · Moultrie, GA · Member since 2018 · 99 posts · 60 votes
    6y

    @KeAndre Hayward definitely some anxiety. I think everybody stands at the edge of the cliff trying to decide whether or not to jump in some way or another. For us, we tried our best to become as informed as possible in addition to buying at a price that would allow us to compete in the rental market price range fairly well. Wish you the best as you move forward!

  • Jonathan SmallPro Member
    Investor · Suwanee, GA · Member since 2020 · 182 posts · 151 votes
    4y

    @Franky Davis Thanks for sharing. I have also used creative financing with Guardian Bank of Valdosta. They are have been willing to use equity in some of my previous deals as collateral on current and future deals. Ex: I have a couple of preforming portfolio loans with the bank. Each portfolio loan has multiple houses to secure the loan. Lets say I want to buy another SFH. They are willing to use the other homes as collateral. If you think about it, they are in a good position. They are using my other 15 houses as security for the next house. It works for me since my down payment is smaller.

    Network with your local  community banks.  They can offer creative terms that will help you acquire properties.

  • Rental Property Investor · Moultrie, GA · Member since 2018 · 99 posts · 60 votes
    4y

    @Jonathan Small man! That’s awesome. We’ve since done exactly the same thing. I’ve now 1031 exchanged every property we’ve had into something bigger/more productive in the last 18 months. Finding that original financing opportunity and using my contract as collateral has allowed me to get in the game. I was leveraged aggressively in the beginning. Now I’m positioned with a much higher equity position for a much larger portfolio after the exchanges. Now I’m hoping to aggressively utilize the forced appreciation to grow. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Moultrie, GA · Member since 2018 · 99 posts · 60 votes
    4y

    Hello everyone….I hope y’all are still doing well. I posted a little update. The journey has been wild so far but it’s been very fun and a great learning experience. I’m posting the link here to stimulate some conversation if anyone is interested. Have a good one!  https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

  • Debra OrringerPro Member
    New to Real Estate · Bronxville NY · Member since 2016 · 12 posts · 9 votes
    1y

    Hi, this post is so inspirational! I love your perseverance and creative in your ability to grow your portfolio. I was wondering how you got financing for your 2-9 properties? Did you refinance the first very quickly or did the bank continue to lend with 0 money down?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.