Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Anna Sarvis
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
Votes |
Using a Heloc to BRRRR first long term rental question

Anna Sarvis
Pro Member
  • New to Real Estate
Posted

My parents are interested in buying a property in their neighborhood using a HELOC to buy it for cash. We are brand new to real estate investing and are not sure how to go about this deal. The property is listed for $259,900 and needs new floors and updating to the kitchen and bathrooms. Their current house that they live in is fully paid off and has been for many years and is worth around $350,000. Can someone explain how using the Heloc to purchase the property with cash, then rehabbing it, then renting it out and then refinancing the home would benefit them in this scenario? They like the idea of owning this property as a rental and then eventually having it for a family member to retire in since it is one story and in eye shot of their current home.

I just don't understand how a cash out refinance works and what the benefits would be for it as opposed to simply purchasing the home and renting it out without doing the reno and refinance part of it.

Would love any advice or clarification here!  

Loading replies...