Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Damein White
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Cleveland Ohio
Votes |
How to deal with a bad appraiser

Damein White
  • Cleveland Ohio
Posted

So my appraiser came and did my appraisal but from the jump he was letting me know we are not cool he didn’t like i did accent walls, he didn’t like i had a mini split in each room he said i should just get a furnace. He told me he was going to not comp my house for my area but the city i stay in so many words. I just stop talking and just followed and spoke when spoken to 

And he low balled me 

Mind you i have a new kitchen new bathroom room all new plumbing and electrical i gutted this house to the studs and my house is almost $40k lower if sold at this price cheaper then lowest house over here that sold 

User Stats

Votes
Robin Simon
Pro Member
#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 Classifieds Contributor
  • Lender
  • Austin, TX
Replied
Quote from @Damein White:

So my appraiser came and did my appraisal but from the jump he was letting me know we are not cool he didn’t like i did accent walls, he didn’t like i had a mini split in each room he said i should just get a furnace. He told me he was going to not comp my house for my area but the city i stay in so many words. I just stop talking and just followed and spoke when spoken to 

And he low balled me 

Mind you i have a new kitchen new bathroom room all new plumbing and electrical i gutted this house to the studs and my house is almost $40k lower if sold at this price cheaper then lowest house over here that sold 

This is from the appraiser through your refinance lender?

User Stats

Votes
Damein White
  • Cleveland Ohio
Votes |
  • Cleveland Ohio
Replied
Quote from @Robin Simon:

And he low balled me 

This is from the appraiser through your refinance lender?

Yes 
CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Bob Stevens
Pro Member
#2 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Votes |
Pro Member
#2 Innovative Strategies Contributor
  • Real Estate Consultant
  • Cleveland
Replied

And he low balled me 

Address?  I will tell you in 20 seconds what it worth 

User Stats

Votes
Mark Munson
Lender
  • Lender
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Orlando, FL
Replied

Hi @Damein White

You can dispute the appraisal, you'll just need additional comps to do so. Every lender on BiggerPockets has probably disputed hundreds of appraisals, I know we have and usually with great success, assuming there was an error or a failure to use clear, similarly spec'd comps. If a dispute doesn't work, ask the lender to order a new one. It will likely cost you more money, but you probably won't have another alternative. If the lender refuses, use a different lender. 

User Stats

Votes
AJ Exner
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Replied

And he low balled me 

Man, unfortunately its a tale as old as time. My gut says you would be best served ordering another appraisal and staying far away from that appraiser. You could provide comps nearby and try to dispute but it can also be a losing battle. I've had clients that we've disputed, got low balled again, and just ordered a new appraisal and got what we expected. Hate that it happens, but it definitely can.

Might need to calculate what your time is worth and deciding next steps from there.

Good luck!

User Stats

Votes
Damein White
  • Cleveland Ohio
Votes |
  • Cleveland Ohio
Replied
Quote from @AJ Exner:

And he low balled me 

Man, unfortunately its a tale as old as time. My gut says you would be best served ordering another appraisal and staying far away from that appraiser. You could provide comps nearby and try to dispute but it can also be a losing battle. I've had clients that we've disputed, got low balled again, and just ordered a new appraisal and got what we expected. Hate that it happens, but it definitely can.

Might need to calculate what your time is worth and deciding next steps from there.

Good luck!

Thank you 

User Stats

Votes
Damein White
  • Cleveland Ohio
Votes |
  • Cleveland Ohio
Replied
Quote from @Mark Munson:

Hi @Damein White

You can dispute the appraisal, you'll just need additional comps to do so. Every lender on BiggerPockets has probably disputed hundreds of appraisals, I know we have and usually with great success, assuming there was an error or a failure to use clear, similarly spec'd comps. If a dispute doesn't work, ask the lender to order a new one. It will likely cost you more money, but you probably won't have another alternative. If the lender refuses, use a different lender. 

Thank you 

User Stats

Votes
Damein White
  • Cleveland Ohio
Votes |
  • Cleveland Ohio
Replied
Quote from @Bob Stevens:

And he low balled me 

Address?  I will tell you in 20 seconds what it worth 

I just connected so can send you address 

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
#1 Contractors Contributor
  • Contractor/Investor/Consultant
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied

I used to work with great Realtors who would show up on appraisal day and greet the Appraiser with a folder full of comps that were very flattering, plus paperwork describing in glowing detail all of the improvements to the house and their value.

I would insist on a new appraisal, and either have your Realtor do the above, or do it yourself. It really does have some impact IMO.

User Stats

Votes
Bailey Coleman
  • Investor
Votes |
  • Investor
Replied
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

I used to work with great Realtors who would show up on appraisal day and greet the Appraiser with a folder full of comps that were very flattering, plus paperwork describing in glowing detail all of the improvements to the house and their value.

I would insist on a new appraisal, and either have your Realtor do the above, or do it yourself. It really does have some impact IMO.

I 100% agree with that statement. I do this everything and I can say it has tremendously impact my value. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Barrett
  • Investor
  • Madison WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Madison WI
Replied

This is what I do ^^ every time. I've had 50% bad appraisers vs competent ones. I dispute every time up to ordering a new appraisal. I'm also not afraid to tell the lender that the appraiser is wrong and that I'm not interested in working with them again. 

User Stats

Votes
Bruce Woodruff
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Votes |
Pro Member
  • West Valley Phoenix
Replied
Quote from @Chris Barrett:

This is what I do ^^ every time. I've had 50% bad appraisers vs competent ones. I dispute every time up to ordering a new appraisal. I'm also not afraid to tell the lender that the appraiser is wrong and that I'm not interested in working with them again. 

Yeah, it just makes sense right? Most appraisers aren't bad guys, they're just too busy, and probably unfamiliar with a lot of the neighborhoods they're looking at. 

By giving them this info , we are doing a couple of things - First, giving them solid data that they may not have. Secondly, you're putting at least a little bit of pressure on them that you know, or think you know, what the price should be, and that has to sway them a little bit in my opinion.

In my experience, appraisers are always low. The reasons are obvious - their main purpose is to justify the loan amount and make the lender feel safe. They have absolutely no reason to appraise it any higher than that. 

Homeowners and Investors need to stay on top of them and be assertive, (but not unrealistic.)
NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Chris Barrett
  • Investor
  • Madison WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Madison WI
Replied

Yeah absolutely, I'm always extremely friendly with, well everyone generally, but every appraiser. But when I have an appraiser come back with comps from a year ago from when I purchased the building and then they refuse to recalculate based off of recent comps, I'm not going to be interested in working with that person again. In this business you need to be assertive in protecting your interests and your business's interests.