Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Manny Sosa
Votes |
First Time Investor in Need of Advice

Manny Sosa
Posted Jul 30 2024, 22:39

Hello all investors I'm 24 and I'm looking into buying my first investment property for my portfolio. This one is going to be a BRRRR deal for me.

Property Asking $680k 

2 bed 1 Bath 738 sqft 

Lot size 6k sq ft. 

In need of a full rehab so not sure how much that would cost I’m thinking $70k?

Also want to add an ADU to get extra cash flow but not sure how much a fully permitted ADU adds value to the property when refinanced.

Need help with figuring out how to estimate rehab costs and how to figure out what’s the best price to buy at. It’s hard because all I want is cash flow even if it’s $500 and hold for the appreciation. 

Feel free to brainstorm with me down below please and thank you!! 

User Stats

Votes
Jason Wray
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Banker
  • Nationwide
Replied Jul 30 2024, 22:49

Manny,

First off I have to say "ouch" $680K and only 738 sqft? This must be California and that being said I would tell you "No" (Don't do it) look at other states for that kind of purchase price. You could take that same $70K plus what you planned for that $680K down payment and buy 3 investment rentals in states like FL, TN, IN, OH, GA, LA, even up on the Oregon Coast just above you in CA.

Most of my customers live in CA and none of them invest in Cali instead they buy in the states I listed above. Use Florida for example it may seem far but its easy to manage and the prices are far better. You can buy a SFH or a 2-4 unit close to the beach by the Guld side and stay under $300K. You can use it as an STR or LTR so rents are more of a win based on options.

You want to be able to spread your capital around to more than one big investment especially when your NOI is going to be better on 2-3 versus one! You also have multiple equity positions available for future use through a Heloc or cash out refinance. That allows you to use the appreciated equity as your future down payment source.

User Stats

Votes
Dan H.
Pro Member
#3 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Buying & Selling Real Estate Contributor
  • Investor
  • Poway, CA
Replied Jul 31 2024, 01:41
Quote from @Manny Sosa:

Hello all investors I'm 24 and I'm looking into buying my first investment property for my portfolio. This one is going to be a BRRRR deal for me.

Property Asking $680k 

2 bed 1 Bath 738 sqft 

Lot size 6k sq ft. 

In need of a full rehab so not sure how much that would cost I’m thinking $70k?

Also want to add an ADU to get extra cash flow but not sure how much a fully permitted ADU adds value to the property when refinanced.

Need help with figuring out how to estimate rehab costs and how to figure out what’s the best price to buy at. It’s hard because all I want is cash flow even if it’s $500 and hold for the appreciation. 

Feel free to brainstorm with me down below please and thank you!! 

I am pro coast CA market but no one that I am aware of claims it is a good cash flow market in the near term. A high LTV purchase will bleed cash at purchase.

If you spend $680k + $70k = $750k, you likely need rent of about $7500/month to be cash neutral.   Your rent likely is less than 50% of that so you will be negative >$3k/month.  

In general ground up ADU additions in SF zoned areas cost significantly more than they will appraise for. In addition in many jurisdictions the primary unit will become rent controlled.

Here is list of reasons adding an ADU in SF zoned areas of So Cal is a non-optimal investment:

1) The value added by the ADU addition is often significantly less than the cost of adding the ADU. Search the BP for ADU appraisals to encounter numerous examples. This creates a negative initial position. This negative position can consume years of cash flow to recover. Make sure you know the value the ADU will add to the property before building the ADU.
2) the financing on an ADU is typically far worse than for initial investment property acquisition or is often not leveraged (HELOC, cash out refi, etc). Leverage magnifies return.
3) The effort involved in adding an ADU is comparable or larger than a rehab associated with a BRRRR. However if I do a BRRRR I can achieve infinite return by extracting all of my investment. Due to item 1, adding an ADU can require years to start achieving any return (once the accumulated cash flow recovers the initial negative position).
4) Adding an ADU is a slow process. It can take a year or more to complete an ADU. During this time you are not generating any return from the money invested in the ADU. This amounts to lost opportunity because if you had purchased RE, at the closing it can start producing return.
5) ADUs detract from the existing structure whether this is privacy, a garage, or just yard space.
6) this is related to number 1, but there are many more buyers looking to purchase homes for their family than there are RE investors looking to purchase small unit count properties. This may affect value or time required to sell.
7) Adding an ADU does not make the property a duplex. For example in many jurisdictions I can STR units in a duplex but cannot STR an ADU (some jurisdictions will let you STR if you owner occupy). Duplex have different zoning that may permit additional units. Duplex can always add additional units via the ADU laws.
8) Related to number 1, purchasing a property with an existing ADU is cheaper than buying a property and adding an ADU. Why add an ADU if it can be purchased cheaper?
9) adding multiple ADUs or adding an ADU to a quad looses F/F conventional financing. This reduces exit options and affects the value.
10) Small number of small units is the most expensive residential development there is. This implies residential units can be built at lower costs and provide better return.
11) adding an ADU to SFH can make the SFH fall under rent control.

Good luck

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Todd Anderson
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cape Coral, FL
Votes |
Agent
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Cape Coral, FL
Replied Jul 31 2024, 07:28

Great information in the replies. This seems like a complicated plan for your first deal. I would agree with the thought that if you are looking for cashflow look to another area where there is cashflow. I work with a lot of investors from California, that can't make the numbers work there. I have a process in place in FL and NC to get turnkey new construction that cashflows day one. I even have a few off market properties in our inventory that have tenants placed. I would recommend keeping the first few deals simple, then when you want to get into the bigger deals with the development of new ADU you have some experience.

let me know if I can be of more help.  Good Luck.