Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Micah Loewen
Votes |
Will appraisal value be influenced by a few unifinished renovations?

Micah Loewen
Posted Jul 17 2024, 13:00

We built a home a while ago and are wanting to get it appraised for a cash-out refinance. We've still been doing some work to it so there are some minor "renos" that are not done and not all the rooms are furnished. Will this be an issue for appraisal? Will it affect the value of the appraisal? 

User Stats

Votes
River Sava
Pro Member
#1 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Lender
  • USA
Votes |
Pro Member
#1 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Lender
  • USA
Replied Jul 17 2024, 13:11

Hi Micah, 

Depends on the lender / seasoning periods. When did you finish building the home and when are you planning to be done with current renos?

A lot of lenders have a seasoning period of 6 months in order to use appraised value not cost basis. However, some can do as little as 3. Sending you a dm to connect!

User Stats

Votes
Nate Herndon
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Jul 17 2024, 13:31

@Micah Loewen there is a chance the property would appraise for the value that you want, but that it would be appraised as 'subject to repairs' as opposed to 'as-is'. Or, if it does appraise 'as-is', but the lender's underwriter determines that there is more deferred maintenance than they will allow for (say $2,500, or something close to that) then that would also be an issue.

Either way, a 'subject to' appraisal and deferred maintenance are both no-go's for a DSCR cash-out refi. If you and I were working on this one to get it refinanced, my recommendation would be to complete the reno before letting an appraiser in the door.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Micah Loewen
Votes |
Replied Jul 17 2024, 13:35

Ok thanks! Even if the said Reno’s are as small as a few pieces of trim and some missing soffit? 

User Stats

Votes
Nate Herndon
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Jul 18 2024, 06:06

@Micah Loewen You may be able to get away with those just fine - doesn't sound terribly expensive. I have also seen escrow holdbacks for cash-out refinances. If a lender wants to see $1,000 worth of work completed, they can hold that in escrow after closing and release those funds after you provide photos of the completed work. I like that compromise since it doesn't delay closing if all else is good-to-go.

Here's a quick example of an appraisal photo that shows no trim in the laundry room. The appraiser made no comment about it as an issue, and it is unlikely that the underwriter would catch something that small either. It just depends on how obvious the repair needs are.

User Stats

Votes
Jay Hurst
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
  • Dallas, TX
Replied Jul 18 2024, 06:33
Quote from @Micah Loewen:

We built a home a while ago and are wanting to get it appraised for a cash-out refinance. We've still been doing some work to it so there are some minor "renos" that are not done and not all the rooms are furnished. Will this be an issue for appraisal? Will it affect the value of the appraisal? 

It will depend on the appraiser. AS mentioned above the appraisal will mark the report either "as-is" or "subject to".  This is at the appraiser discretion if she/he thinks the repairs needed effects the value in anyway or not. If the appraiser marks the report subject to you will have to fix the noted items before you can close the loan, and then the appraiser will have to go back out to certify the repairs have been completed. and yes, of course, will charge a trip fee to do this. So, you should just finish the work before the site visit is complete to take out that possibility.  

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
Votes |
Pro Member
Replied Jul 18 2024, 18:50

@Micah Loewen I recently had an appraisal done on a multi and did receive less value based on some renovations that were still going on. I suspect I lost about $75,000 off the value I was hoping to get because of these renovations.

I wasn’t thrilled with the appraisal company, and felt that they also significantly down played the value of the income on my commercial property.

If possible I would recommend waiting to do the revaluation until you have finished your work.

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
#1 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
#1 Mortgage Brokers & Lenders Contributor
  • Lender
Replied Jul 19 2024, 10:30

This highly depends on the appraiser's opinion. I would suggest getting everything completed before ordering an appraisal for a DSCR loan. Lenders will use an AMC, and that AMC will select a random appraiser to inspect the property. Lately I have seen a lot of value cuts, so also plan on the conservative side. You definitely don't want to be in a situation where your mortgage balance is higher than what the lender will finance you based on the new appraisal