Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat

User Stats

Votes
Sean Haran
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Hard money lender wants me to designate a “project manager” separate from my GC/agent

Sean Haran
  • Los Angeles, CA
Posted Jul 9 2024, 12:32

Hello all! I am based out of Los Angeles and I'm working on a long distance BRRRR deal in the hilltop area of Columbus, OH. I am planning to use Longhorn Investments hard money loan to fund the project. They're asking that I designate a project manager who would be able to visit the site regularly, but is not the GC. I basically have no idea who to use and am looking for suggestions/anyone who has worked with them before (or another lender with a similar requirement). I really like the fact that Longhorn will fund up to 100% of purchase and rehab costs (up to 75% ARV), that's why I was going with them in the first place. I have spoken to some other hard money lenders and most require 10-20% of the purchase price as a down payment. I have the cash but obviously if I don't have to put it down I'd rather not. At a crossroads now as to whether I should try to find someone who I can at least list as project manager (I have no clue if they actually would be contacting this person regularly or require really anything from them) or if I should just use a lender with less stringent requirements but that will require at least 10% of purchase as a down payment. Any advice/stories about a similar situation would be much appreciated!

User Stats

Votes
Chris Seveney
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 All Forums Contributor
  • Investor
  • Virginia
Replied Jul 9 2024, 12:39
Quote from @Sean Haran:

Hello all! I am based out of Los Angeles and I'm working on a long distance BRRRR deal in the hilltop area of Columbus, OH. I am planning to use Longhorn Investments hard money loan to fund the project. They're asking that I designate a project manager who would be able to visit the site regularly, but is not the GC. I basically have no idea who to use and am looking for suggestions/anyone who has worked with them before (or another lender with a similar requirement). I really like the fact that Longhorn will fund up to 100% of purchase and rehab costs (up to 75% ARV), that's why I was going with them in the first place. I have spoken to some other hard money lenders and most require 10-20% of the purchase price as a down payment. I have the cash but obviously if I don't have to put it down I'd rather not. At a crossroads now as to whether I should try to find someone who I can at least list as project manager (I have no clue if they actually would be contacting this person regularly or require really anything from them) or if I should just use a lender with less stringent requirements but that will require at least 10% of purchase as a down payment. Any advice/stories about a similar situation would be much appreciated!

The GC does not represent you. They want someone with eyes and ears onsite for you because you being that far away how do you know the work is being correctly performed?

User Stats

Votes
Andrew Postell
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Votes |
Lender
Pro Member
#1 Creative Real Estate Financing Contributor
  • Lender
  • Fort Worth, TX
Replied Jul 9 2024, 13:19

@Sean Haran I have used Longhorn many times.  Love working with them.  Would certainly understand this position though.  

There is always this question that is debated of "What's the best market to invest in if you are investing out of state?"  

Usually the answer is in the form of another question - "Where do you know someone that will protect your investment?"

As a 15 year, out-of-state investor my recommendation is to ALWAYS choose whatever city you have the most trustworthy contacts in. Keep in mind that you may never see your asset. That's an ENOURMOUS amount of trust/money to put into a stranger's hands. What I mean here is that if you know someone in a "City X"...but that city may not have as good as numbers as "City Y"...then stick with "City X"...the city where you know people. One wrong move, one wrong contractor, one wrong vendor…will erase any "benefit" one city has over another. Your network is the most important piece for any potential returns when you invest out of state.

And please don't hear what I'm NOT saying - I'm not saying don't invest in Columbus.  What I am saying is that you should absolutely, 100% get someone that you trust to manage your property for you.  Even if another lender won't require it...I would highly recommend to have someone that is local to help with this.  Even AFTER your property is completed. 

Hope this makes sense how I am describing this.

Guaranteed Rate Logo
Baselane logo
Baselane
|
Sponsored
A new type of banking built for RE investors BiggerPockets Prefers Baselane The #1 Real Estate Banking platform trusted by over 40k landlords.

User Stats

Votes
Remington Lyman
Agent
#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#3 BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 10 2024, 07:13
Quote from @Sean Haran:

I recommend asking an licensed inspector to do this for you. See if the home inspector you are using for this purchase if they will do draw inspections for you

User Stats

Votes
Jimmy Lieu
Agent
#2 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
#2 Out of State Investing Contributor
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 10 2024, 08:56
Quote from @Sean Haran:

Hi Sean, I have a lot of experiencing doing 6 figure renovations and managing ton of projects for my out of state clients. I would strongly recommend using a project manager or boots on the ground to manage your rehab especially if you're OOS. You shouldn't let your GC run wild and do whatever they want - tons of things can go wrong. I have a few referrals in the Columbus that I would be more than happy to send over. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have.

User Stats

Votes
Robert Ellis
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Votes |
Agent
  • Developer
  • Columbus, OH
Replied Jul 20 2024, 06:16
Quote from @Sean Haran:

I wouldn't buy in hilltop and whoever is putting you there I'd love to know. it's one of the worst zips in central ohio and maybe one of the last to find existing inventory hence why the realtors sell it. I'd recommend looking at closer to downtown in the adjacent downtown zip codes like 43206, 43205, 43203, 43207, etc. if you can't find any look at building. we build in those zips and focus on newer inventory. I'm a licensed general contractor but I don't touch existing inventory just ground up. 

User Stats

Votes
Nicholas L.
Pro Member
#3 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Votes |
Pro Member
#3 Starting Out Contributor
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Pittsburgh
Replied Jul 20 2024, 06:37

@Sean Haran

i have to ask - do you have specific properties identified yet, or are you just working on lending?  have you been to this neighborhood in person?

are you planning to personally oversee your project?  are you going to go there in person regularly?  do you have a team identified?

we just see so many threads on BP from OOS investors trying to do everything from Internet and it can easily turn into a disaster.

i also see that you're trying to borrow as much as possible... which just puts a lot of pressure on your return because it makes the project more expensive.

maybe you're set up for success but i just figured i'd ask. i BRRRR locally and have a tough time doing it...

User Stats

Votes
Replied Jul 21 2024, 04:20

Please share Longhorn's contact