Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Victor Tofilski
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Pinckney, MI
Votes |
Should I cash out re finance

Victor Tofilski
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Pinckney, MI
Posted

I bought my first house (Duplex) last January. My rate is 6.625%. I was planning on combining the 3 strategies of brrrr, house hacking and sneaky rental strategy. I’m currently looking to buy my next primary residence to house hack. I was thinking of using the 9k that I can get out the refinance of the duplex for the down payment/renovations of my next house. Only problem is the new rate will be 8%. Does it make sense to take the higher rate to pull out 9k?

Should also mention I can’t wait till rates to come down to refinance because I will only be able to take out a loan for 70% of the value instead of the 75% while it’s my primary.

User Stats

Votes
Devin Peterson
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied
Quote from @Victor Tofilski:

I bought my first house (Duplex) last January. My rate is 6.625%. I was planning on combining the 3 strategies of brrrr, house hacking and sneaky rental strategy. I’m currently looking to buy my next primary residence to house hack. I was thinking of using the 9k that I can get out the refinance of the duplex for the down payment/renovations of my next house. Only problem is the new rate will be 8%. Does it make sense to take the higher rate to pull out 9k?

Should also mention I can’t wait till rates to come down to refinance because I will only be able to take out a loan for 70% of the value instead of the 75% while it’s my primary.

All of your equity will be eaten up by closing costs alone 

User Stats

Votes
Ko Kashiwagi
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Lender
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied

Hi Victor,

How come you'd be only be able to take out 70% down the line? Are you saying you can't pull out 75% if it's not a primary?

If you can cover the higher mortgage payment and the leverage is worth the upside of getting another house, it seems reasonable!

NREIG  logo
NREIG
|
Sponsored
Customizable insurance coverage with a program that’s easy to use Add, edit, and remove properties from your account any time with no minimum-earned premiums.

User Stats

Votes
Ross Paller
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Chattanooga, TN
Votes |
  • Flipper/Rehabber
  • Chattanooga, TN
Replied

The move is always whatever SAFELY leads to owning more assets.

Safe means after you have conservatively underwritten the deal including maintenance, property management, vacancy, etc it still has positive cash flow. Even if only by $1.

User Stats

Votes
Sarita Scherpereel
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Chicago, IL
Replied

Hi @Victor Tofilski Have you found any projects that makes sense for your next purchase? Do you have something lined up you want to buy? Our market in Chicago has very low inventory, it's very competitive and the opportunities are harder to find. I personal would only explore re-financing with other lenders (having conversations- getting to know what they offer). Then, when I found something that made sense pull the trigger. If the cash I get out makes sense to put towards the next deal. 

User Stats

Votes
Michael Smythe
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Votes |
Property Manager
  • Property Manager
  • Metro Detroit
Replied

@Victor Tofilski get a HELOC

User Stats

Votes
Erik Estrada
Lender
  • Lender
Votes |
Lender
  • Lender
Replied
Quote from @Victor Tofilski:

Why not just take a HELOC? You should be able to tap into 85% CLTV if your DTI allows it