Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
BRRRR - Buy, Rehab, Rent, Refinance, Repeat
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
CJ M.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Canton, OH
Votes |
Horse hair plaster and lathe. Is it worth purchase?

CJ M.
  • Canton, OH
Posted

Hello all,

Have an offmarket seller looking to get 50K on a 1950's 2/1 1000 sqf Cape Cod he's owned for 40 years (it's been vacant for last 2 years). Est ARV is 100-120K (good school district and solid B neighborhood).

I haven't walked it yet (I will next week), but according to seller, it just needs paint, flooring throughout, new kitchen countertops (possibly cabinets too).

Anyway, he mentioned it's horse hair plaster and lathe throughout. I've never dealt with that before but after researching it appears there may be some asbestos and possible anthrax in the plaster? And electrical was/is? knob & tube? (he said there is 100 amp panel)

My concerns of keeping it as a rental is liability if I don't replace everything with drywall...which would prob kill the deal for me. Should I be concerned if there is no crumbling or major issues with the plaster? I'm thinking I maybe just flip it...but will that deter buyers?

Any feedback is appreciated

User Stats

Votes
Jake Baker
Tax & Financial Services
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Votes |
Tax & Financial Services
  • Investor
  • San Diego, CA
Replied

@CJ M.

Every house has a number. If the plaster is intact (not crumbling, cracking or showing signs of significant damage), it may be safe to leave. However, crumbling plaster would necessitate removal and replacement, potentially with drywall. Get the plaster tested for asbestos.

If renovations significantly reduce your profit margin, wholesaling the property to a more experienced investor might be more viable. 

User Stats

Votes
Chris Barrett
  • Investor
  • Madison WI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Madison WI
Replied

When I google anthrax in plaster, the only results I get are for the UK. I have never ever heard of anthrax in plaster being a concern in the US. Also if it's horse hair plaster they probably wouldn't have used asbestos but you could get it tested. 

Either way, those are only concerns if the condition of the plaster is in dire straits. 

BiggerPockets logo
Time to Refi? Get the Best Loan
|
BiggerPockets
Lender Finder helps secure the best loan for your strategy. Easily connect with top investor-friendly lenders now to lock in lowered rates. 🔒

User Stats

Votes
Alecia Loveless
Pro Member
#4 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
Votes |
Pro Member
#4 Real Estate Deal Analysis & Advice Contributor
Replied

@CJ M. I’ve had horse hair plaster in two old Victorians. For the most part it was in excellent condition. In the event that it’s in relatively good condition you can make repairs to it with Sheetrock compound if you clear away the old plaster and know what you’re doing with the Sheetrock compound.

User Stats

Votes
CJ M.
  • Canton, OH
Votes |
  • Canton, OH
Replied

Thank you everyone for the response. I'll be walking the property later this week and will have a better idea of the condition.

So it sounds like if it's in good shape, it shouldn't impact my ability to flip it?

User Stats

Votes
CJ M.
  • Canton, OH
Votes |
  • Canton, OH
Replied

Decided to move forward with purchase. (Not sure if I'll flip or keep as a rental). Plaster is in good shape and comps are actually 135-140K. Rent would be 1295-1395/mo.

Appreciate everyone's help!