Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Land & New Construction
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Paul Meyer
  • Contractor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Votes |
Do you cut costs by just hanging 1/4" drywall over old (no demo)?

Paul Meyer
  • Contractor
  • Virginia Beach, VA
Posted Dec 19 2021, 05:21

First, what I'm exactly saying is only cutting out lines across walls for all new rough-in electrical/plumbing/hvac/any mold damage AND THEN just hanging new 1/4" right on top to create a fresh new looking house. From my experience trying to make something old and abused look pretty again just takes as much time & money to just hang new. This keeps me from paying for 1-2 dumpsters plus all the extra work pulling it out, cleaning it out, getting out nails. I did this on my last flip only on the ceilings because ALL the great insulation sat on top and if I took it out it would have been a f+@*$%&$ mess and $$$ for new insulation.

I'm about to start my 3rd flip, another horrible ugly house, and I like to just gut everything and start new but I like to save $$$ and cut corners where I can to keep more profits. 

The electrician is going to put in new boxes so extra drywall doesn't matter and I'm installing all new windows/doors so that doesn't matter either. Probably no insulation behind current walls...So I'd make everything tight and caulked. 

Anyone ever do this or just spend more money to totally gut. I know if I start pulling out the drywall I'm going to find extra work. 

This is just a 770sqft 1 story 1/1 converting to 2/2. Midwest in IL. Rough neighborhood. Total ARV only like $89-109k which is peanuts compared to east coast. I am doing 60% of the work pay myself out of this one because ARV is so low. This would go for $169k in VA.

Loading replies...