Why Aren't You Blogging for Your Real Estate Business?

Why Aren't You Blogging for Your Real Estate Business?

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

I just spent my evening at a local blogging meetup and couldn't help but wonder why more of our members aren't blogging either here or on their own personal blogs off-site.

I can't tell you how important I think a blog is for ANY business. The exposure you gain, the credibility you build, the community you establish are all extremely valuable for the potential growth of a real estate investing business.

There are so many ways you can use a blog - for spreading your message, for keeping yourself accountable, for chronicling your journey . . .

I'm actually going to be attending the BlogWorld Event located in Los Angeles next month - speaking on a panel about blogging in the age of social media.

Bottom line - I'm wondering why you guys aren't blogging?

So . . . ?

0Reply
22 views

Most Popular Reply

Joel OwensBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
14y

I have my websites that rank well over the years.

If you are just starting a website most are going to word press platforms with blogs in them.The SEO platform and the way search engines see data has been changing.

Blogging is like anything CONSISTENCY.

Anyone can hit a home run once but to do over and over again they make millions of dollars a year.

If you are a writer you will naturally enjoy writing a blog and get into it.If you are not a writer it will be a push for you to do it.

In those instances maybe recording videos is more your thing and it will automatically have the text and tags attached.You could hire a ghost writer or proof reader to clean up your blog before posting to make it look professional.

Some readers like though the raw and genuine nature of a blog untouched telling it like it is.

The more articles,videos,blogs etc. you put out there the more of an expert you look to be which attracts more of an audience.

Of course you need to back that up with referrals and recommendations from real world transactions.

See this reply in the discussion

24 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    Not to be flippant about it Josh...I quit blogging because the posts kept getting "moderated" and flushed so that nobody could see them.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    Bryan - If you aren't blogging because you don't like that our users don't want to see posts from you and only you on the front page of our blog system, that is surely your prerogative.

    This thread is designed to be a positive and constructive discussion about the benefits of blogging. Lets try and keep it that way.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Chandler, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 928 votes
    14y

    Mostly time for me. I would like to start blogging in the near future but right now I'm too busy.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 380 votes
    14y

    This might be one of the answers you're looking for Josh:

    I don't know how.

    I know how to read a forum topic, click on it if it seems relevant, and reply with some generally helpful advice while (hopefully) not coming off as a total prick.

    I also know how to post my own forum topic, usually seeking information (although sometimes as a shameless plug for our investor meetings... but hey we offer free beer!).

    I am absolutely certain that I've figured out how to annoy Jon Holdman (but to his credit, he still thoroughly answers my probably tedious questions).

    However... I don't know the first thing about blogging. What do I write about? Who would read it? What do they want to see? I'm all for providing valuable content... but do people really care about the minutiae of flipping properties acquired at trustee sale? I'm sure they'd care even less about my "plain vanilla" end user transactions. Bottom line... how do I make it interesting enough for it to be worth anyone else's time- or my own?

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    Jake - Trust me . . . people want to read about all the mundane minutae that you don't even think about. There are so many people hungry to learn, as you can see from the posts on the forums. The things you think of as plain vanilla may be looked at with reverence from a newer investor.

    As for figuring out what to write about, check out the posts on our real estate blogs page, check out the kinds of things our contributors write about on the BiggerPockets Blog, and check out the kinds of articles that appear on the blogs that we placed on our Top 20 Real Estate Investing Blogs list last year.

  • Wholesaler · Dallas, TX · Member since 2009 · 308 posts · 92 votes
    14y

    Are there any other resources that explain how to blog for your real estate business? I've seen what have done; how does does it help your business if you are a wholesaler?

    I'm not understanding how the time vs. new business aspects really work.

    Like Jake said, is really worth the time?

  • Real Estate Investor · Walled Lake, MI · Member since 2010 · 121 posts · 66 votes
    14y

    Chris,

    Read a book called Crush It by Gary Vayner Chuk. This book talks all about the use of social media and how it can transform your business, and a blog is the hub of his model.

    It will not happen over night for you which is why I think many people start blogging and stop. However, I guarantee that if you are consistently putting out valuable content, you will be noticed and will generate a big following.

    Josh is absolutely right that most folks are missing a huge opportunity by not blogging. Here's the way I look at it. As a real estate investor I'm sure you go to local REIA meetings, and I'm sure that on more than one occasion you've had a delightful conversation with someone that impacted how you thought about a particular situation. Well, blogging and social media give you the opportunity to have those delightful conversations on a daily basis with many many people. It's like networking on steroids. That's the hook. For those that don't get it, they never will...those that do will be very successful.

  • Contractor · Woodlands, TX · Member since 2010 · 95 posts · 18 votes
    14y

    Josh-
    There is so much free information to be had.I blog to let the members of this site know the things we are facing. The Good,Bad & Ugly.I have found that "other" RE sites, don't want to hear the Bad or the Ugly only the Good. That is like walking into traffic and turning your back.
    I think what stops folks from bloging is human nature; "I want to please everyone". We both know that won't happen. The other is time. Many may feel it takes too much time. I have a system that takes the time factor out of the equation.
    I'm not offended if my blog post is canned. I just keep posting.

    I say jump in the water is just fine.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y
  • Wholesaler · Dallas, TX · Member since 2009 · 308 posts · 92 votes
    14y

    Josh,

    That's what I was looking for.

    Will comment after I have studied these.

    Thanks

    Chris

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    14y

    I have my websites that rank well over the years.

    If you are just starting a website most are going to word press platforms with blogs in them.The SEO platform and the way search engines see data has been changing.

    Blogging is like anything CONSISTENCY.

    Anyone can hit a home run once but to do over and over again they make millions of dollars a year.

    If you are a writer you will naturally enjoy writing a blog and get into it.If you are not a writer it will be a push for you to do it.

    In those instances maybe recording videos is more your thing and it will automatically have the text and tags attached.You could hire a ghost writer or proof reader to clean up your blog before posting to make it look professional.

    Some readers like though the raw and genuine nature of a blog untouched telling it like it is.

    The more articles,videos,blogs etc. you put out there the more of an expert you look to be which attracts more of an audience.

    Of course you need to back that up with referrals and recommendations from real world transactions.

  • Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2008 · 488 posts · 121 votes
    14y

    Got 2 leads last month off my blog. Both out of state investors who wanted to buy in the Houston market. Said they read my blog and thought I was the right person for the job...

    Danny

  • Involved In Real Estate · Boonton, NJ · Member since 2008 · 39 posts · 15 votes
    14y

    I've tried...stuck my toe in the water...but just never stuck with it, a blog here and there every couple of months. This might be the push I needed...I'm going to review the links and videos you posted here and see if it will help me find my way. I know the power of it, just haven't been disciplined enough to harness it.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 380 votes
    14y

    OK Josh... you inspired this:

    http://flippingriverside.wordpress.com/

    Apologies in advance if that was "advertising", just wanted to show Josh that he caused at least one person to take action.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    That's great, Jake. Feel free to post on the BP blog network as well....

    I definitely recommend blogging on your own domain, but before you're ready to take that leap, a WordPress hosted or BP blog will certainly suffice.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Costa Mesa, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 380 votes
    14y

    Newbie blog question...

    Something smarter/more efficient than copying/pasting the text of my blog to the BP blog posting system? Sorry if this has been answered before.

  • Private Money Lender · OK · Member since 2010 · 163 posts · 32 votes
    14y

    If anyones interested, I used to take SEO (search engine optimization classes) which help to properly structure your blogs for the search engines. There are a lot of of different tactics you will need to implement in order to give it the best opportunity to get the results you are looking for plus a few tactics of my own I integrated that worked out pretty well. If you're looking to jumpstart a new blog (or an existing one) I don't mind sharing. Just send me a pm and I'll write the first one and copy/ paste it to anyone else.

    To see how well it can work just google "republicans discrininate" or "democrats discriminate" and you'll see a thread I wrote specifically to work well in the search engines titled "Republicans and Democrats Who Discriminate 2011 Complete List" which is the first actual search result on the first page of Google when me and my poker buddies got pissed about the politicians closing our favorite online poker sites ;) The techniques work but you have to put in some effort.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    Michael -
    What about a blog post on the topic? I'm sure a ton of our users and visitors would appreciate a post on the topic?

    http://www.biggerpockets.com/blogs

  • Private Money Lender · OK · Member since 2010 · 163 posts · 32 votes
    14y

    I could do that. Would you prefer it as a blog post or an article?

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    Blog post is probably a better way to go . . . fitting for the topic.

  • Private Money Lender · OK · Member since 2010 · 163 posts · 32 votes
    14y

    Will do. Will need a few days to complete it. The actual post and optimization of it doesn't take long, but the 12-13 hour shifts starting at 3:30am 6 days leaves me exhausted at the end of the day. Should be posted by this weekend but Monday at the latest. Thanks

  • Real Estate Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2008 · 407 posts · 90 votes
    14y

    It is a commitment to get your blogs up. We all start being regular bloggers and then time pressures catch up. Automating the process would be ideal as we have social media sites, blogs, website all to update

  • Real Estate Investor · Walled Lake, MI · Member since 2010 · 121 posts · 66 votes
    14y

    David, that's the beauty of blogging and the interaction with social media. There are a number of ways to automate things. I use an application called RSS Graffiti that looks for new posts on my blog and when it sees them it automatically puts it on my facebook business page. Wordpress has similar tools to automatically publish to twitter and facebook. So with a single click I can get my blog post published in 4 different locations. I'm sure there are more tricks, but this is my strategy for the moment.

    My point is this...if you take the time to research things you can setup systems to automate your blogging, and save a bunch of time.

  • Real Estate Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2011 · 33 posts · 3 votes
    14y

    I run a small facebook group. Is there some advantage to running a blog? Better deals, sharing of best practices?

    -XY

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.