Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Technology
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
John Hagen
  • Mattoon, IL
Votes |
Appfolio: good or bad?

John Hagen
  • Mattoon, IL
Posted Mar 29 2017, 12:56

I currently manage 9 units and expect to double if not triple that by the ended of the year. I am looking at software to help. I read all the previous discussion and saw a lot of recommendation. Appfolio caught my eye and was looking for personal testimonial good and bad.

Thank you for your help!

User Stats

Votes
Adrienne Henley
  • Virtual Assistant
  • Edmonton, Alberta
Votes |
  • Virtual Assistant
  • Edmonton, Alberta
Replied Mar 30 2017, 13:29

Hi @John Hagen

Looking into software to help you manage your units is very beneficial. However, I would be careful with the minimum and on boarding fee. 

If you want to send me a PM I could let you know about a more affordable option. 

Best of luck and hope to chat soon!

-Adrienne

User Stats

Votes
Gita Faust
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Richboro - Philadelphia, PA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Accountant
  • Richboro - Philadelphia, PA
Replied Mar 30 2017, 14:07

Appfolio is great. Only think I miss it the ability to print vendor checks to print, reconcile bank accounts and view financial reports.

Correct me if I am wrong.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Cornelius Dudley
  • Vendor
  • Glenn Dale, MD
Votes |
  • Vendor
  • Glenn Dale, MD
Replied Apr 5 2017, 08:12

@Gita Faust Appfolio does allow you to print vendor checks, reconcile bank accounts and view financial reports.

User Stats

Votes
Cornelius Dudley
  • Vendor
  • Glenn Dale, MD
Votes |
  • Vendor
  • Glenn Dale, MD
Replied Apr 5 2017, 11:45

@John Hagen as far as testimonials for Appfolio you could look for reviews online.  If you use Google then just type in "Appfolio reviews -site:appfolio.com" without the parenthesis.  This will give you reviews that are not on the Appfolio website.  Appfolio can be very expensive for smaller landlords and property managers.  There is a base monthly price regardless of how many units you have.  

There are several software packages that do what Appfolio does.   I perceive from your initial post that you are a third party property manager (you manage properties for others).  What will be good is to make a list of all the things that you would like to use a property management software to automate.  Don't just limit yourself to what a property management software company says they can do.  Remember property management software companies have to make their product look good.  You have to make sure that the property management software works for you.  

You can PM me if you have other questions or just post them here so everyone can profit from the conversation.  

User Stats

Votes
Kim Meredith Hampton
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St Petersburg & Orlando
Votes |
Agent
  • Real Estate Broker
  • St Petersburg & Orlando
Replied Apr 5 2017, 12:21

John Hagen I have used Appfolio since 2009, and absolutely love the program and all the features and efficiency it has.
On your problem with cost, Appfolio has a flat fee for 100 units, even if you only have 10'or 20. Having said that, the money that you save it time may be worth it! There is Buildium and RentManager that may fit your budget. Check out affiliate/vendors with NARPM

User Stats

Votes
Cornelius Dudley
  • Vendor
  • Glenn Dale, MD
Votes |
  • Vendor
  • Glenn Dale, MD
Replied Apr 5 2017, 12:35

@Kim Meredith Hampton It is a $250 minimum now.  It costs 1.25 per unit.  So they price it at 200 units minimum.

User Stats

Votes
Brian Phelt
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Real Estate Broker
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Apr 5 2017, 13:00

Hello John,

We use Appfolio as well and it's great.  Like others have mentioned, you will be paying more per door than other softwares out there (initially).  This is not a bad thing if you plan to scale over time as indicated.  If not, I would recommend Buildium, as they are almost identical to Appfolio but offer two pricing tiers.   Feel free to reach if you have any questions.

Best of luck.

ForeFront Property Management Logo

User Stats

Votes
Austin Fruechting
  • Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Kansas City, MO
Replied Apr 5 2017, 14:29

@John Hagen

It's been a few years but I loved appfolio when I was building my property management business.  Everything just seemed "tight" from the website, to the generated adds for places like craigslist, to the back end.  It was the cleanest program top to bottom IMO when I was searching.  I'm sure some others have improved since, but zero regrets with appfolio.  The people that bought my business continue to use it to this day.

Whatever you choose, don't worry about an extra $100-200 now.  If you go with a clunky system because it was cheap, you'll probably want to upgrade later.  Imagine the time and headaches associated with trying to make sure everything transfers over cleanly at that point.  Tough to say that's worth the $1,000-2,000 you saved a year.  

Especially if a slicker system could have helped you grow faster.

You are building a business. Get the system you want for the long haul. From the backend accounting, to the ads created, to the web presence. A polished system is also great marketing and one more thing to sell your services to owners. It makes you seem much more advanced and professional.

User Stats

Votes
Jonathan McKay
  • Investor
  • Spokane WA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Spokane WA
Replied Sep 18 2018, 08:11

We use AppFolio for 72 units across 9 buildings that we own. It has been helpful in professionalizing our property management, although has not replaced quickbooks for accounting. As others have mentioned in this thread, it helps tremendously with scaling, and I imagine we will continue to use it at least through 1000+ units.  The $250 a month is definitely worth it for me.