Skip to content
PRO
Pro Members Get Full Access!
Get off the sidelines and take action in real estate investing with BiggerPockets Pro. Our comprehensive suite of tools and resources minimize mistakes, support informed decisions, and propel you to success.
Advanced networking features
Market and Deal Finder tools
Property analysis calculators
Landlord Command Center
$0
TODAY
$39.00/month when billed monthly.
$32.50/month when billed annually.
7 day free trial. Cancel anytime
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 3 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Real Estate Technology
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Mark Urich
Pro Member
Votes |
Residential Floor Plan creation for city rental permits

Mark Urich
Pro Member
Posted

We are required by the city in which we operate student housing to provide the floor plans of each of our properties upon submission for rental permits from the city.  If the city does an inspection of our property and the floor plan on file does not match what the city has on file we can be issued a violation.  These properties are new purchases in the past few years and what the city has on file is what the prior owner submitted.

We would like to get in front of this requirement by providing the floor plans of each property with the rental permit application.

Is there a web site, software, or company, etc. that BP members know to gather this floor plan data by location?  Looking for direction.  Thanks in advance.

User Stats

Votes
Carini Rochester
  • Investor
  • Rochester, NY
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Rochester, NY
Replied

Hire an architect or buy and learn a drafting program.

Get a copy of what the city already has on file and compare with your building. What they have on file should already match unless you or someone else made changes.

User Stats

Votes
Matthew Sprott
  • Architect
  • Spokane, WA
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Spokane, WA
Replied

I would try to find a local drafting company. They are typically much cheaper than architects for something this simple and can usually get to it faster. 

CV3 Financial logo
CV3 Financial
|
Sponsored
Fix & Flip | DSCR | Construction Loans Up to 90% LTV - Up to 80% Cash Out - No Income Verification - No Seasoning Requirements

User Stats

Votes
Eric Teran
  • Architect
  • Alexandria, VA
Votes |
  • Architect
  • Alexandria, VA
Replied

@Mark Urich I agree with @Matthew Sprott to find a draftsman or someone right out of school. As an Architect I would charge you much more. There is an app called Canvas.io that can be Downloaded to an iPad or iPhone (they need the latest cameras) and you can scan each unit. Once the scan is complete it is sent to them. Within 2-3 days they will return a file that even has the baseboards, all the light switches and outlets, and all the cabinetry. We use it for my office when we work on an existing building. Once you get the file back you can ask anyone that knows Autocad or Revit to put each unit on a sheet and add any information you may need like room names or dimensions. If there are a lot of units this is the way to go.

Good luck m,

Eric