Scott Trench View vs Brandon Turner's - Lending vs Investing

Scott Trench View vs Brandon Turner's - Lending vs Investing

Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 12 posts · 15 votes

Hey all, 

I am currently in the process of finishing "Set For Life" by Scott Trench and I have ready majority of  "The Book of Rental Property Investing" by Brandon Turner. There is one core factor I am trying to figure out as I found a dispute in view points in these books. Brandon Turner seems to be fine with using Private Lending where Scott Trench seems to believe that using other peoples money is not investing it is just managing someone else money. Scott says that you're not an investor if you use other peoples money. What makes you  an investor if you use your own capital says Scott Trench. Now what do you guys think, is private lending the way to go or is using your own money more beneficial in the long run. 

0Reply
19 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    8y

    What is your definition of an investor? If you are receiving a return on investment you made in the property, you are an investor. If you are using 100% borrowed money and just receiving a fee, you did not receive that from your investment. I have done many investments with my own money and I have done many investments using OPM for part of the total. I also wrote a book many years ago with specific examples of both.

  • Xenia, OH · Member since 2018 · 23 posts · 18 votes
    8y

    investor

    inˈvestər/

    a person or organization that puts money into financial schemes, property, etc. with the expectation of achieving a profit.

    In that same regard, why get hung about about definitions? At the end of the day, it's a business. You're either INVESTING your money, INVESTING your time, and LEVERAGING your expertise.

    Simply put, time is money. It drives me crazy that there are arguments in books that cause just this kind of confusion. I'd say stop getting hung up on definition and word. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.