Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Guru, Book, & Course Reviews
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
Andre Johnson
  • Saint Paul, MN
Votes |
Tax Overages

Andre Johnson
  • Saint Paul, MN
Posted Aug 26 2014, 08:19

Anyone know if this tax Overages program with Rick Dawson and Bob Diamond is for real or legit?  Thinking about adding this to my portfolio just want to make sure i'm not being scammed with this.

Thanks

Andre

Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Replied Jul 22 2015, 13:07
Originally posted by @Chris M.:
Originally posted by @Rick H.:
Originally posted by @Account Closed:

@Rick H. Is this a 13100 affidavit situation? If so, can you make a tax overage claim as a partial interest?

You can claim anything you want, however, what it all boils down to will be some guy or gal who feels overworked that makes the call based on their assessment of the situation.

I have one going in LA county right now where I only have one if the heirs signed up. I always use an attorney, too. This gives my claims the air of credibility. 

The county has been putting me off for 3 years. I finally got appointed as administrator with a full probate powers and they still balk. I may have to sue however the big joke us on me because Medi-Cal has put in claims exceeding my $170,000+ Surplus claim. 

You can try anything, however the issue with a 13100 Affidavit is that: 

1) Medi-Cal must still be noticed!

2) Cash or reall estate, if DoD value over $150,000 you still need to probate.

The thought thing is to find a way to be a secured creditor such as mortgage lender of record prior to the tax sale.

Btw, I spend all day today with my friend David who lives near you right by the mission. Would have called but hey, learn so much from hanging with my friend!

@Rick Harmon

The personal property (the overage) of the estate is over the 150K limit to do a 13100 affidavit, unless we can argue that at the time of death the property was worth under 150k because of the condition it was in?  So it looks like I will have to do a probate? What do I need to get started on this ? can I do it myself or do I need the heir to initiate this? Is it wise to buy out any of the heirs I can now or should I stick with the assignment and contingency fee method? What's my best strategy here, in your opinion?

BTW Thanks for the help @Rick Harmon and @K. marie P.

Valuation of the estate is based on date of death, not what the overages are today.  What's the date of death of the last living joint tenant? It's pretty unlikely there is no Medi-Cal debt.  That's one of the reasons properties go to tax sale in CA.  Ask the heir what kind of health care the decedent had.

User Stats

Votes
Chris M.
  • Professional
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 22 2015, 18:47

@K. marie P.

I'm going to the city to dig up the death certificate later this week. I just know it was a few years ago.  As for the medi-cal debt, how would I got about finding out how much they owe? Let's assume the family has no idea and I need to figure it out myself. 

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes
Account Closed
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Central Valley, CA
Replied Jul 23 2015, 09:38
Originally posted by @Chris M.:

@K. marie P.

I'm going to the city to dig up the death certificate later this week. I just know it was a few years ago.  As for the medi-cal debt, how would I got about finding out how much Fthey owe? Let's assume the family has no idea and I need to figure it out myself. 

For the most part you can't.  You have to open the probate and notify Medi-Cal. If it were easy everyone would be doing probate and overages. :)

User Stats

Votes
Rick H.#4 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Lender
  • Greater LA/Orange County area, CA
Votes |
Rick H.#4 Marketing Your Property Contributor
  • Lender
  • Greater LA/Orange County area, CA
Replied Jul 23 2015, 15:37

Ready, shoot, aim. 

Why not just spend the money and take the risk? 

Sure, the attorney will only talk to his/her client going forward. Sure, DHCS (Medi-Cal) has a high shot of taking all the money (like one I have now, and others before it). So, you be out the money for the filing fee, the bond, the referee. Attorney and PR each receive their stat fee. 

Do ya feel lucky ? Well, do ya?

User Stats

Votes
Chris M.
  • Professional
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Professional
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Jul 24 2015, 09:52
Originally posted by @Rick H.:

Ready, shoot, aim. 

Why not just spend the money and take the risk? 

Sure, the attorney will only talk to his/her client going forward. Sure, DHCS (Medi-Cal) has a high shot of taking all the money (like one I have now, and others before it). So, you be out the money for the filing fee, the bond, the referee. Attorney and PR each receive their stat fee. 

Do ya feel lucky ? Well, do ya?

Well I have been know to be a gambler. I'm gonna roll the dice on this one a see what happens :)

User Stats

Votes
John Reed
  • Vendor
  • Draper, UT
Votes |
  • Vendor
  • Draper, UT
Replied Sep 16 2015, 16:54

@Natasha Wade In order to work on behalf of a claimant, they are required to sign a waiver that will release the funds to you or the legal representative that is working the claim.  My company has processed approximately $8,000,000 this year in unclaimed funds on behalf of our clients 

User Stats

Votes
Melissa B.
  • Medford, OR
Votes |
  • Medford, OR
Replied Sep 18 2015, 22:49

Original Post by Brian P:

Joe Kaiser has been mentioned for Washington and I would have told new investors to use his info in many areas of investing. I kind of thought he was a brother I didn't know I had. I did do a couple of tax sale deals in that state just like Joe and I felt the states real interest was not consumer protection but state slush fund protection. Joe knew how to get the overages and the state hated writing checks to him and reducing their slush fund balance and they were willing to spend tons of tax payer money to stop him. 

@Brian P, @John Reed, & @K. marie P. 

Do any of you advise working multiple states and not just one exclusively? If so, how many states should one realistically expect to work? What are some ways to avoid being targeted by officials who are looking for reasons to squeeze you out of the market? Perhaps I should consider joining the BBB and setting up a website to establish credibility.   

Thanks everyone for their valuable feedback! 

User Stats

Votes
Melissa B.
  • Medford, OR
Votes |
  • Medford, OR
Replied Sep 18 2015, 23:16

Original Post by Melissa Burtley:

Do any of you advise working multiple states and not just one exclusively? If so, how many states should one realistically expect to work? What are some ways to avoid being targeted by officials who are looking for reasons to squeeze you out of the market? Perhaps I should consider joining the BBB and setting up a website to establish credibility.  

I should also probably add that I'd like to work the state of Oregon. However, I don't have any other states on my list at this point. Is that a bad thing??  

User Stats

Votes
John Reed
  • Vendor
  • Draper, UT
Votes |
  • Vendor
  • Draper, UT
Replied Sep 21 2015, 12:43

@Melissa B. Those are awesome questions I'm going bring the COO of our company @Glen Arnell in to this discussion.  He spends 40+ hours a week managing our day to day recovery.

User Stats

Votes
Glen Arnell
  • Vendor
  • Draper, UT
Votes |
  • Vendor
  • Draper, UT
Replied Sep 21 2015, 14:12

@Melissa B. First of all I want to thank John for including me in your question.  My first suggestion is do not work Oregon for the following reason...A property owner can skirt their taxes for 6 years before the property goes to auction and then the "county" takes "ownership" and then sales the property at auction.  Thus the property owner that we would be "skip tracing" will never have rightful claim to the excess proceeds even if excess is created.  This process is a state wide statute. 

However Melissa don't let Oregon burst your bubble...there are several states and counties available to work.  One of the things that was important to me when I began my overage business was to identify "when" and how "often" tax sales occur.  My goal was to create myself a steady income throughout the year with checks coming in monthly.  

How many states and counties depends are your availability of time.  I generally use the analogy of Duck or Geese Hunting.  If the Flock represents all the available states to work and the individual ducks or geese represent each county I would not just start "shooting" at the Flock...I would aim in on 1 duck and then the 2nd and then the 3rd all within a reasonable and manageable timeframe.

In my business I begin by verifying the following:

Deed or Lien State/County

When do the Sales Take Place

How soon is the information available regarding the Excess List

How easy is it to get the Owners/Addresses of the Auctioned Property

Do I have a "great" skip tracing company

Then I go to work!!!

User Stats

Votes
Melissa B.
  • Medford, OR
Votes |
  • Medford, OR
Replied Oct 1 2015, 12:00

@Glen -- Thanks for the tips! :-)   

User Stats

Votes
Norman Clark
  • Wholesaler
  • Denver, CO
Votes |
  • Wholesaler
  • Denver, CO
Replied Feb 6 2016, 16:30

I have try to hunt people down and believe me it is harder then you think. I have not given up. I live in Denver, Colorado and the real estate market is so tight  a deal is very hard to come by. I want to make finding people who are owed money a Win Win for all. And I also want to do this right.

w

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
David Krulac
  • Mechanicsburg, PA
Votes |
  • Mechanicsburg, PA
Replied Feb 6 2016, 20:21

@Norman Clark  some people don't want to be found, for their own reasons.

User Stats

Votes
Azia Martin
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oak Lawn, IL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Oak Lawn, IL
Replied Feb 15 2016, 20:45

I love this site. I just watched a video about this. It sounded so good. But alas, as with all things real estate BP has an answer. Thank you all. 

User Stats

Votes
Paul Brown
  • Investor
  • Southaven, MS
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Southaven, MS
Replied Mar 9 2016, 22:05

User Stats

Votes
Paul Brown
  • Investor
  • Southaven, MS
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Southaven, MS
Replied Mar 9 2016, 22:10

@Sandra Lee Hi Sandra! Any update? I'm considering this as well... Thanks

User Stats

Votes
Anthony Michaels
  • Investor
  • Lutz, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Lutz, FL
Replied Jun 26 2016, 10:03

Hello Sandra, I sent a message to you, I would so like to start out in this Biz, not having to spend 1500.00 yikes

User Stats

Votes
Helen Adams
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brandon, FL
Votes |
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Brandon, FL
Replied Jun 28 2016, 09:25

@Norman Clark Hi Norman.  I just watched Mr. Diamond's video on Overages.  It's been a few months since you last reported your difficulties with finding claimants.  Do you have any guidance for those of us considering that specific market?  Thanks!!  

User Stats

Votes
Zee Brooke
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Sep 24 2016, 19:20

Hi Dede,

I’m currently working the overages program.

I’ve purchased the Bob Diamond content.I know it’s pretty pricey and Diamond is probably getting paid.However, I’m not in the business of counting no one else’s money.I take it that, he’s running a business – either you can “fake it” or “make it”……. It appears that he markets well.Therefore, he’s “MAKING IT” $$$.

However, I can definitely share my thoughts.After viewing a webinar on overages, I was sold.Little did I know – there was still leg work to be done……

The program consist of about 12 webinars (some, audio only), frequently asked question section (pretty detailed), the option to create a creditability site (website as a money finder), and all documents needed (how to find the lists, scripts, POA, contingency fee forms, and etc).

PROS

Overall, to say the very least, it lays a great foundation.It’s very informative and outlines the process well enough to get you started.The content also list the best states to work the overages program. These recommended states have been found to have the least convoluted claims process, accept third party finders, avoid physical court proceedings, and primarily will not require extra monies for retaining legal representation and etc.

CONS

COURSE:Webinars, Content, and Docs.

My Opinion: The Webinars and Content dates back a few years.Some are long and drawn out and redundant.However, the documents needed to accompany the claim, seem to be kept up to date accordingly.

COURSE:Recommends not working the overages program in your state.

My Opinion: Why not? Especially, if the state in which you reside, is listed as recommended to work the overages program.Besides, I find that clients like being able to walk into an office and put a name with a face – verses- receiving a call from an unknown person, post cards, or foreign mail, stating “YOU GOT UNCLAIMED MONEY”.

COURSE:Recommends using a 1. Cloud based CRM for retaining client info and tracking your claims * Outsourcing tasks - 2. Mobile Notary, if working outside of your own state, to obtain client info and witness signatures, 3. Virtual Assistants, to answer calls 4. Skip Tracers, to locate clients, byposting ads on Craigslist 5. Business Phone/Fax

My Opinion:I feel a cloud base CRM is not needed.If you are computer savvy, Microsoft has templates for client management that are very detail and workable in excel.Whether these additional things are needed, all depends on you as a person, how involved you want to be in the business, or how disconnected.Personally, I like to control my business, I don’t need too many hands in the pot.As well, I like very little overhead.

COURSE:Customer Support, once you purchase the program.

My Opinion:It’s apparent that they’ve taken their own advice – virtual assistants.When contacting them, you can get someone on the phone, but it’s hard getting direct answers, you’re redirected to send an email to their support team.If it’s questions about the content or “how to” in your state – deferred to the frequently asked question section.But hey – If you think about it – you pay for the program, not 1x1 or hands on assistance.So – I get it.

Think about it – it’s knowledge based, right? With any course or content, it’s not going to give you everything in a nutshell.It will only provide the necessities.So, you will have to take what you learn, gain more knowledge from other faucets and streamline it to develop your own process, best practices and methodology.

Things that have helped ME:

1. Real-estate terminology online
  2. Knowing the difference between Tax lien and Tax deed states
  3. Understanding “Fi-Fas”
  4. Researching to see if an additional lien, besides tax lien, is on the property before you pursue the claim (creditor)
  5. Title searching
  6. Accessing county real estate records

I hope this helps!

Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Zee Brooke
  • Atlanta, GA
Votes |
  • Atlanta, GA
Replied Sep 25 2016, 12:21

Actually, I’d been working the State unclaimed money list for a while but was limited to a 10% finder’s fee, per the state statue.The downside is that the state is reluctant to work with finders and will only present checks to the claimant.With this being said, I would only get paid after the claimant has recovered the funds.And the claimant knew this.So, in order to ensure I was compensated for my services, I presented the claimant with disclosures, to sort of scare them, that legal proceedings would occur, if I wasn’t paid in a timely manner once the check was cut.However, it deemed to be a lot of work for very little money and not very lucrative.

A few years back I was living in a rental property, and a letter arrived in the mail addressed to the homeowner.The homeowner and I had a pretty decent relationship, considering he lived out of state.So he asked that I open and read the letter in his absence, to see if it was an urgent matter that needed to be addressed with the residence.However, it was an “Unclaimed Money” letter regarding another property he had owned in Washington DC.

Since this seemed to be similar to a service that I was already providing, it prompted me to do more and more research.I started with “YOUTUBE” first.This is a very good source of information.My opinion: There is a guy on there, Shawn Buige, his firm has an overages program that can be purchased for much cheaper than Diamonds.As well, you can choose not to work overages, but instead work with them.From my understanding, you’ll supply the firm with all the necessary paperwork to file a claim, by visiting your local courts and etc. They will process the claim and do all the hard part and the finder will just wait on their check.I know you may not need it because you’re pretty much familiar with overages.Again, everybody has their own process, so you will need to pick and choose your sources of information.Like I said, some can have long and drawn out processes, but it’s up to you to streamline it.

Since it’s been 10 years or more for you -Going into it, make sure you know:

1. The laws in the particular state you’re working.(lexisnexis.com)
  • There is a difference between the finder’s fee for state verse tax lien overages
  1. Whether the funds are being held with county or courts (courts most of the time requires lawyers)
  • If you choose to pursue claims being held by the courts, maybe you can retain legal representation that you can contract with on these deals
  • In some states only lawyers can accompany a claimant or provide a claims request to the courts.In states where it’s required, only lawyers or title companies can provide title searches ( 20 yr, 50 yr, and etc)
  1. Know when the funds “escheat”
  • As long as the claim sits with the county you can charge a contingency of 40 – 50%
  • If the funds escheat, they become property of the state and subject to a finder’s fee (state unclaimed money list, my example above 10%)

What I’ve provided is from my experience and for informational purposes only.This is what has worked for me.Some may beg to differ and may advise otherwise.

If you’re really serious about this, shoot me over your email.I will provide you with some info where you can get refreshed on this subject matter, sooner than later.There is a fee, but not to me.Don’t get me wrong, I’m not soliciting, my information is free.However, the source charges.

Me myself, not to talk figures, but I expensed approximately $ 4000. to learn the overages business.Reason being, you will not get all the information in 1 place.There will be pieces missing.I think this is because people really don’t like to share their concepts and “how to” of this business.This is an effort not to oversaturate the business. Prime Example:There are quite a few that are on this blog and is actively working the business, but has yet to give anyone as much information that I have provided you. All in all, if you get these list there is so much out there that everybody can get a piece of the pie (Seriously).

Again, Good Luck!

User Stats

Votes
Will Medina
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Orlando, FL
Replied Nov 2 2016, 17:47

Does anyone have any information on Tax Sale Overage that's more current than 2 yrs ago.

User Stats

Votes
Lucy Vanegas
  • Middlesex, NJ
Votes |
  • Middlesex, NJ
Replied Nov 3 2016, 07:30

Any working this angle an making any money

BiggerPockets logo
Network With Property Managers
|
BiggerPockets
Partnering with a property manager before you buy will boost your bottom line. Match and mingle with top property managers now!

User Stats

Votes
Jay Statzer
  • Landlord
  • Buchanan, MI
Votes |
  • Landlord
  • Buchanan, MI
Replied Dec 11 2016, 23:09

12% seems like the highest one should go without being extreme. A rael estate agent gets 3% for the entire purchase price for a lot of work. If 3-7% isn't enough try a standard fee of a grand or three, like a wholesaler. More only if you are recovering 50K or more for someone.

User Stats

Votes
Azlina Harun
  • Investor
  • Laie, HI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Laie, HI
Replied Feb 6 2017, 11:12
Originally posted by @Sandra Lee:

I was also on that call last night.  I did some research today and found out pretty much everything I need to know to get started in the business.    What I am uncertain about is how saturated the business is.  From what I have seen so far it looks legit and a nice niche to explore.

Hi Sandra!  How did this work for you? 

User Stats

Votes
Azlina Harun
  • Investor
  • Laie, HI
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Laie, HI
Replied Feb 6 2017, 11:13
Originally posted by @Sandra Lee:

I was also on that call last night.  I did some research today and found out pretty much everything I need to know to get started in the business.    What I am uncertain about is how saturated the business is.  From what I have seen so far it looks legit and a nice niche to explore.

Hi Sandra!  How did this work for you?