The Evolution of Real Estate Training Programs: From Product to Lifestyle to Message

The Evolution of Real Estate Training Programs: From Product to Lifestyle to Message

Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
Moderator
Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes

I’ve been around long enough to see how real estate education and training programs evolve. Many programs start with something tangible—a product, tool, or strategy. But when that product is lacking or unsustainable, the focus shifts.

First, the idea is sold. The training becomes less about actionable content and more about a grand vision—"how this idea will change your life"—but with little behind it.

When the idea loses steam, the lifestyle gets sold next. You’ll see flashy cars, endless vacations, or Instagram-worthy moments, all promising that this lifestyle is within reach.

When the lifestyle becomes harder to sell, it’s time to focus on the message. Suddenly, the training becomes about empowerment, mindset, and motivation—often valuable but lacking practical tools.

When the message feels thin, some turn to traditional values or a religious angle. Core values and faith-based messaging can be powerful, but they often get co-opted as a marketing tool to build trust.

To tie it all together, many of these programs introduce a group or community. They call it a tribe, a family, or something similar, giving people the sense they belong to something special—often creating a tight-knit environment that makes it harder to question what’s really being offered.

So, what’s the takeaway? Always vet the substance behind what’s being offered. A great mindset is important, but if you’re paying for training, it should include tangible, measurable takeaways—not just an idea, lifestyle, message, or community.

Have you noticed this trend? What’s been your experience with real estate education programs?

7e investments53 Reviews
0Reply
21 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Greg ScottPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes
    1y

    I read your post a few hours ago and started thinking about. 

    I've paid for a handful of programs over the years from cheap to expensive and narrow-focused to broad-based.  It would seem that turning a real estate training program into a successful business is very difficult because most of them are not around any more. 

    The ones I've found have the best value were ultimately side-hustles for the founder, and they were making most of their money from their real estate.  Investing was their main focus.  Their side-hustle was helping others become better investors.   Cost was not as much a determining factor.  I got great value from a $200 course on how to use Quickbooks for managing SF rentals.  I also got great value from a very expensive course on how to properly buy & manage residential real estate.

    Regardless of cost, the ones that offered low value were the ones where the founder wanted to sell education as their main business.  One middling program I got into, I later learned the founder was trying to get out of managing real estate because "it was hard" so he decided to teach real estate investing instead.  Since he clearly wasn't very successful at real estate, I'm not sure why he thought he would be good at teaching it!  Of course, he flamed out after a couple of years, but he followed some of the path you outlined.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.