REI or Author?

REI or Author?

Murphy, TX · Member since 2014 · 60 posts · 8 votes

It's only been a few weeks since I've serious started looking into RE investing. The BP forums are a huge source of what looks to be valuable information on the subject. Being a cynic, I was initially very skeptical about the validity of the content on BP, just waiting to find the sales pitch. However, after reading several posts where the latest Johnny Come Lately and his new way of "building wealth" has been very professionally asked to provide details and back his claims, I started realizing that there really could be some honest folks here that are truly interested in networking & sharing ideas/experiences. I find that to be rather refreshing considering everything else I've read elsewhere has pretty much boiled down to long winded pitches that read like a novel, then state, "Buy my book to get the details". This leads me to my question...

Why are so many folks in the REI industry selling books and e-books? If one was so wildly successfully running a business, then why would they have the time to spend on writing books on the topic? Would their time not be better spent growing the wildly successful businesses they are writing about? Is it ego? Am I just being to cynical? It really gives a slimy feel to what could truly be a solid way of building long term financial wealth.

Now, I hope I haven't offended anyone with my question. I'm just looking for feedback from an outsider's perspective. I'm hoping no one says, "It's such a tough market to make any money in that causes people to instead sell books and systems".

Any insight?

0Reply
29 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
12y

I will agree that there are people that are both educators and who do the business they teach about. Many years ago when getting my masters by going to school part time while working, I had professors who were also co-workers. I've been recruited by a former co-working to teach university courses here in this area. So, I fully recognize there is overlap.

I'll also say that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with being an educator nor with making money from providing education. But I will firmly stand behind the statement that providing education and doing RE investing are two different businesses.

And I will also state that I do think there are many "educators" in this business who provide very little value for the amount of money they extract from their "students". These folks make big claims about the money to be made, spend their time pitching a dream few students will ever achieve and are purely focused on maximizing the amount of cash they extract from each student.

I roll my eyes at anyone who says "I'm doing this to give back" and at the same time sells educational material. Look, I have no issue with someone writing a course or book and selling it. Just don't tell me you're doing that to "give back". You're selling it to make money. If you truly are doing something altruistic, give it away. Lots and lots of folks do that. A lot of educational material is now available for free. Much of that is very high quality, university level material. The folks creating that material and giving it away for free on the one's giving back.

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    12y

    They write books, teach courses, and provide mentoring programs because that's their business. Don't confuse teaching about real estate with engaging in a real estate business any more than you should confuse university professors with those actually out in the world doing the business the professors are teaching. For these gurus, teaching is more profitable than doing.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    There's a saying:

    Those who can, do -- those who can't, teach.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    Well now, there's another perspective. Some people enjoy helping others and some people enjoy teaching. There really are some solid coaches and "gurus" out there that are still doing deals and being very successful as an investor, or at least they were very successful at one time. If you spend a little time reading their free stuff (and maybe a bit of their low-cost books and e-books), you can tell the difference between those who are the real deal and those who are not. I'll give you a perfect example. J. Scott is a regular on BP and he has some e-books for sale (I am not affiliated with J. Scott). He is very well regarded on BP (and rightfully so). And there are others here on BP and some who are not on BP that are very successful investors and also very successful (and highly regarded) teachers and coaches.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Charlotte, NC · Member since 2010 · 241 posts · 127 votes
    12y

    I had the same questions when I first started investing. Then after I started doing deals I realized some folks want to create multiple streams of income. I actually met folks who sell coaching & mentoring, programs, ebook and bus tours. That are GREAT people and really invest in RE. Not all folks who sell informational products are douche bags. Now the ? a lot of newbies have well if they are successful they should just want to help folks for free. I had this same mindset until I started doing deals. And realized how lazy people who say they want to do RE are. They really believe those late nite pitches that they can become rich in 3 months. I use to try to help countless people but unfortunately They dont want it enough. And when someone does not pay a upfront fee they usually are committed to nothing. You realize that you can no longer waste your time with folks who talk and have no action. My 1st mentor NO UP FRONT FEE. I had to work on weekends after the work week took me 8 months to find a deal. I knew what I signed up for was not easy. Most people are looking for easy. I do not sell coaching, programs or ebooks yet. But some folks want multiple streams of income And some make more in that business then Re. But you can still learn a great deal from them.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    @Nasar Elarabi made a very good point about the multiple streams of income. I think most investors who were in this prior to the crash realize the value of multiple streams of income.

  • Murphy, TX · Member since 2014 · 60 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    @Jon Holdman Understood and well put.

    @Dawn Anastasi I've often said, 'In IT there are two types of folks, those that talk, and those that do. VERY FEW can do both.' IT is filled with folks that love to talk about what they can or have done, but actually produce little to nothing of any real value. I'm seeing many similarities. BTW - I love your website. It's raw, and to the point. Great for an introverted type-A engineer like myself. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

    @Nasar Elarabi I hear what you're saying. Again, similar to IT, some folks are only in it for "the money", very little actual experience and are always looking for the quick answer so they don't have to put forth the effort. Sadly, just proving an answer to such folks usually ends up creating a ripple effect of trouble later because they simply didn't understand what they were doing. Meaning, quick answers typically lead to getting in over one's head.

    @Bryan L. Point taken, and I admire those who truly teach because they are good at it and enjoy it. There's real value there! I guess my cynicism is targeted more towards the folks that provide little to no real value, and charge a LOT of money for it.

    Thanks for all the feedback. It's all great food for thought!

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Cookeville, TN · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 948 votes
    12y

    @Rick Reed - By the way, my career prior to Real Estate was also in engineering. And along those lines of multiple streams of income, I still do a bit of engineering part-time.

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Rick Reed:
    @Dawn Anastasi I've often said, 'In IT there are two types of folks, those that talk, and those that do. VERY FEW can do both.' IT is filled with folks that love to talk about what they can or have done, but actually produce little to nothing of any real value. I'm seeing many similarities. BTW - I love your website. It's raw, and to the point. Great for an introverted type-A engineer like myself. Thanks for sharing your experiences!

    Thanks so much!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Jon Holdman

    I will allow myself to respectfully disagree. I write books and sell a course because I like people, but my business is very much REI. Perhaps what you state is applicable to most, but not all :)

  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    If you really just love the people Ben, why not charge what I charge......nothing, LOL.

    It's a business and they do it for money, some may get personal gratification from helping someone, but let's not be naïve, it makes money.

    Follow the money, you'll find the motivation.

    All money isn't bad, the lack of it is the root of all evil as I believe Will Rogers said. The lack of it may be the evil behind putting out RE bad guru stuff.

    My other thoughts are already well documented here, no need to repeat myself. :)

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    12y

    I will agree that there are people that are both educators and who do the business they teach about. Many years ago when getting my masters by going to school part time while working, I had professors who were also co-workers. I've been recruited by a former co-working to teach university courses here in this area. So, I fully recognize there is overlap.

    I'll also say that there is nothing fundamentally wrong with being an educator nor with making money from providing education. But I will firmly stand behind the statement that providing education and doing RE investing are two different businesses.

    And I will also state that I do think there are many "educators" in this business who provide very little value for the amount of money they extract from their "students". These folks make big claims about the money to be made, spend their time pitching a dream few students will ever achieve and are purely focused on maximizing the amount of cash they extract from each student.

    I roll my eyes at anyone who says "I'm doing this to give back" and at the same time sells educational material. Look, I have no issue with someone writing a course or book and selling it. Just don't tell me you're doing that to "give back". You're selling it to make money. If you truly are doing something altruistic, give it away. Lots and lots of folks do that. A lot of educational material is now available for free. Much of that is very high quality, university level material. The folks creating that material and giving it away for free on the one's giving back.

  • Ned CareyPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 13k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Jon Holdman:

    Just don't tell me you're doing that to "give back". You're selling it to make money. If you truly are doing something altruistic, give it away. Lots and lots of folks do that.

    Many people likee Jon Holdman have been doing that for years here on BP

  • Murphy, TX · Member since 2014 · 60 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    I hope I didn't come across as judgmental. My question was really to see what others think about what I was seeing as an inexperienced outsider.

    Great feedback though. My eyes have been opened a bit, so thank you all!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.