Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Guru, Book, & Course Reviews

User Stats

Votes
Tim Hoffman
  • Investor
  • Rockford, IL
Votes |
Seminar suggestions

Tim Hoffman
  • Investor
  • Rockford, IL
Posted Oct 31 2013, 09:50

I am a seasoned landlord / investor in Rockford, IL, (65 SF Homes and close to 15 yrs experience) but new to BP (about a month).

I try to keep up to date and like to attend a seminar every so often and am looking for suggestions from this group. I attended a Mr. Landlord cruise in Feb of this year, a John Burley 3 day seminar in Phoenix a few years ago, and Jay DeCima class about 5 years ago.

I find getting away helps with the learning and spending a few dollars makes you more committed. I just dont want to waste money.

thanx for the input.

Tim

User Stats

Votes
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Votes |
Bill Gulley#3 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator
  • Springfield, MO
Replied Oct 31 2013, 10:02

I'd call my local Board of Realtors and see if they have a seminar for landlords, I'd also ask if I could pay the small fee and attend any property management seminars. Does your local landlord association have seminars? These types of seminars will put out the right stuff that pertains to business in your area, not like some guru junk aimed at another agenda.

You may also be able to join the BoR as an affiliate member that may give you some continuing education opportunities and other benefits, doesn't hurt to ask. :)

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Mazzrillo
  • Investor
  • Riverside, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Riverside, CA
Replied Oct 31 2013, 10:44

If you want education outside of just landlording, check out garyjohnstonseminars.com. He teaches about financial calculators and lots of other fun stuff related to finance. If you want straight landlord stuff check out fixerjay.com. He teaches a few landlord courses. He's written a few books you can find on Amazon as well. At one time, he owned and managed over 200 houses and invests primarily in lower end housing. He's an absolute character and a wealth of knowledge. For creative real estate education I attend johnschaub.com and peterfortunato.com seminars. They are the best educators in the business. 100% content, no sales pitch. Great crowd of actual investors who attend their seminars. For all kinds of crazy IRA stuff, estate planning, and trusts, I like Dyches Boddiford, assets101.com. He is so knowledgeable about that type of stuff, you'd think he was the one who wrote the laws regarding them. Lastly, I really like Walter Woffard for IRA transactions. He does an annual IRA cruise and a few seminars each year. walterwoffard.com.

I highly recommend each of the above educators. They are all active investors, very knowledgeable, attract crowds of experienced students to their events, and there is never any up selling, pitches, or other BS nonsense. They are all educators who I have learned a lot from and attend their classes regularly. Gary has a big event coming up in Nov 2014 in Vegas that you might want to seriously think about checking out.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Brian Gibbons#5 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor
  • Sherman Oaks, CA
Votes |
Brian Gibbons#5 Guru, Book, & Course Reviews Contributor
  • Investor
  • Sherman Oaks, CA
Replied Oct 31 2013, 12:33
Originally posted by Aaron Mazzrillo:
If you want education outside of just landlording, check out garyjohnstonseminars.com. He teaches about financial calculators and lots of other fun stuff related to finance. If you want straight landlord stuff check out fixerjay.com. He teaches a few landlord courses. He's written a few books you can find on Amazon as well. At one time, he owned and managed over 200 houses and invests primarily in lower end housing. He's an absolute character and a wealth of knowledge. For creative real estate education I attend johnschaub.com and peterfortunato.com seminars. They are the best educators in the business. 100% content, no sales pitch. Great crowd of actual investors who attend their seminars. For all kinds of crazy IRA stuff, estate planning, and trusts, I like Dyches Boddiford, assets101.com. He is so knowledgeable about that type of stuff, you'd think he was the one who wrote the laws regarding them. Lastly, I really like Walter Woffard for IRA transactions. He does an annual IRA cruise and a few seminars each year. walterwoffard.com.
I highly recommend each of the above educators. They are all active investors, very knowledgeable, attract crowds of experienced students to their events, and there is never any up selling, pitches, or other BS nonsense. They are all educators who I have learned a lot from and attend their classes regularly. Gary has a big event coming up in Nov 2014 in Vegas that you might want to seriously think about checking out.

OMG @Aaron Mazzrillo I think we are kindred spirits and i'd bet

you are over 50!

www.peterfortunato.com Peter Fortunato There is no one better at structuring transactions than Peter. His material is sometimes a little advanced for the beginner, but once you have the basics this is where you

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Mazzrillo
  • Investor
  • Riverside, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Riverside, CA
Replied Oct 31 2013, 12:56
Originally posted by Brian Gibbons:

http://jimmynapier.com/about-jimmy/ you missed Jimmy Napier.

He has been named twice by his peers as the Outstanding Educator at the Creative Real Estate Expo. He has been selected as Exchangor of the Year for the State of Florida and has also been inducted into the Exchangors’ Hall of Fame.

I recently had the opportunity to learn from Jimmy at an event that Gary put on here in SoCal. He's speaking again at Gary's event next Nov in Vegas. I have 3 of Jimmy's courses within arm's reach on my desk. Some of the best stuff I've ever used in my business.

User Stats

Votes
Tim Hoffman
  • Investor
  • Rockford, IL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Rockford, IL
Replied Oct 31 2013, 13:23

Bill, I am the VP of my local Apartment Association and we meet monthly and bring "experts" in to speak to our members. I agree that the local involvement is the best way to stay up to date on local issues and trends. I just like to "get away" once in a while and still have my mind expanded and status quo challenged.

Aaron and Brian, thank you for the list of presenters and topics. I will take some time and review them and see which ones peak my interest, fit my schedule and look like a nice place to visit (no crime in making a mini-vacation out of an educational trip is there?).

I like knowing that other investors and landlords have gotten a lot out of a particular topic / presenter / course. Thanx

User Stats

Votes
Tiffany H.
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Long Beach, CA
Votes |
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Long Beach, CA
Replied Nov 1 2013, 11:27

What @Aaron Mazzrillo said!

Aaron, see you at Gary's Nov Vegas event?