Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here

Join Over 3 Million Real Estate Investors

Create a free BiggerPockets account to comment, participate, and connect with over 2 million real estate investors.
Use your real name
By signing up, you indicate that you agree to the BiggerPockets Terms & Conditions.
The community here is like my own little personal real estate army that I can depend upon to help me through ANY problems I come across.
Seattle Real Estate Forum
All Forum Categories
Followed Discussions
Followed Categories
Followed People
Followed Locations
Market News & Data
General Info
Real Estate Strategies
Landlording & Rental Properties
Real Estate Professionals
Financial, Tax, & Legal
Real Estate Classifieds
Reviews & Feedback

User Stats

Votes
David Lukas
Votes |
Strategies for selling my LR1 lot for development

David Lukas
Posted Oct 14 2019, 11:30

So, we bought our dream home in north Ballard (Whittier Heights) in 2014. However, we were upzoned to LR1 last year, into the Crown Hill Urban Village, along with the adjacent block. Our area of Whittier Heights predominantly has lots around ~6,500sf, which is among the largest you tend to see in Ballard. However, the houses, for the most part, are large and fixed-up, so I did not expect that developers could afford to entice many of these folks to sell.

That, it turns out, was naive. We just learned that 6 houses on the adjacent block are in the process of being sold to a developer, who will put town homes (37 units total) on those 6 lots. The lots sold for $170/sf of lot area. Now many of the families on our block (including us) are considering pursuing a similar deal, mainly in order to avoid being surrounded by 30ft-high HardiePanel boxes 5ft from their property lines.

As we explore this possibility, some of the questions I have are:

1) How much of a premium can I really expect from a package deal vs. selling individually? Particularly given that the package deal means a longer close, and then likely competing for a new home in this same neighborhood with some of my current neighbors.

2) If we hold off on selling for a couple years until the nearby development actually starts to impact our quality of life, how (if at all) does that shift our bargaining leverage? Is there a sweet spot of some kind whereby we want to sell while others are selling, after which our lots somehow becomes less valuable relative to the market? Or would we be better off not throwing in alongside the sudden burst of supply on our street?

3) How can I find the most active multifamily developers in my area? I can find a thousand websites, but many of them seem to be inactive.

4) Any other advice on strategies for pitting developers against one another to get the highest price?

Thanks in advance!

Loading replies...