REHABBING A 1920'S BRICK HOUSE ON RAINIER AVE ADVISE

REHABBING A 1920'S BRICK HOUSE ON RAINIER AVE ADVISE

Kirkland, WA · Member since 2013 · 69 posts · 13 votes

Hi all,

I am partnering on a JV for rehabbing a 1920's 3400 sq ft brick house on rainier ave s. The house is in poor shape and needs a complete remodel. The roof and upstairs windows are new. However all the wiring and plumbing is not to code and there are signs of asbestos around ducting. It was recently used as a duplex(smaller unit in basement) but that was illegal and we are required by law to convert back. One question I have is what's the difference between a mother in law and a duplex. Or put another way how far can we go before a mother in law becomes a duplex?!.. for instance can we put a bathroom in?. We are trying to figure out what gets us the best return on our money, rehab the 1300 sq ft basement fully into a mother in law if legal or just add a wet bar and minor rehab like carpets new dry wall and a lick of paint etc?....

Can anyone recommend a contractor with a good reputation that could possibly quote on this project. If they are familiar with older buildings that would be a plus.

I would like to thank anyone in advance for their advice and expertise.

Regards

Andy

1Reply
34 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Bothell, WA · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 11 votes
9y

To my knowledge in Seattle, mother-in-laws are considered accessory dwelling units (ADU) in Seattle whether they are attached or detatched (DADU). You need a permit for this to be legal and the property owner must live in either the main house or the ADU, then the other unit can be rented out. In addition to a permit, ADUs are limited to 1,000 sq ft in an SFR or zones for single families. Not sure what happens if an owner later decides to move and continue renting out. Typically, these share the same meter for utilities. A permit can be applied after the construction, but I do not know the details of applying for one.

Duplexes first require the area/property to be zoned for multi-family. If not, the property will need to be rezoned which I don't think it worth the hassle already. Typically, duplexes have separate meters for most utilities.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Bothell, WA · Member since 2017 · 39 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    To my knowledge in Seattle, mother-in-laws are considered accessory dwelling units (ADU) in Seattle whether they are attached or detatched (DADU). You need a permit for this to be legal and the property owner must live in either the main house or the ADU, then the other unit can be rented out. In addition to a permit, ADUs are limited to 1,000 sq ft in an SFR or zones for single families. Not sure what happens if an owner later decides to move and continue renting out. Typically, these share the same meter for utilities. A permit can be applied after the construction, but I do not know the details of applying for one.

    Duplexes first require the area/property to be zoned for multi-family. If not, the property will need to be rezoned which I don't think it worth the hassle already. Typically, duplexes have separate meters for most utilities.

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    What @louischan mentions regarding the ADU is on the right track. Search Google for "Seattle ADU" and you'll find what you need for research. Links direct to helpful docs are:

    I believe Seattle has off-street parking and owner occupancy requirements. Look into that further for sure.

  • Kirkland, WA · Member since 2013 · 69 posts · 13 votes
    9y

    Hi Zack and Louis, thanks for the reply so quick. I'm also being told that it must have a garage which at the moment it does not. Is that really correct that all SFR need a garage?!

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    I think the requirement for having a garage is area dependent/home type dependent. I'd start with the Zoning department website and see what they have on there.

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 77 posts · 46 votes
    9y

    Unless you want to wait until if/when the new ADU/DADU law passes (which would still require owner occupancy for 6 months), your best bet is likely to just incorporate the former MIL into the house as additional space for that single unit.

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 10 votes
    9y
    Thomas Mattausch ... Where are you following the legislation/updates on that? I am thinking about a property that id want to consider adding a DADU on down the road. I was not aware there was any movement toward changes.
  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 77 posts · 46 votes
    9y

    @Zack Clark see my post here for info on (as far as I know) still pending legislation:

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/52/topics/396578-zoning-adu-advice-in-seattle

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 32 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Thanks @Thomas Mattausch ... appreciate it.

  • Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2015 · 16 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Dose anyone know about the new ADU or DADU laws?

  • Seattle, WA · Member since 2017 · 19 posts · 12 votes
    9y

    Here's a decent overview of the issues:

    http://www.kiro7.com/news/local/seattles-quiet-war-over-this-zoning-regulation-rages-on/514093303

    I am following this closely as I own a SFH with a MIL unit which we are in the process of permitting.  We are already renting it out.  Most people I know with MIL units have not done the official permitting process, as it is fairly expensive (something like $3500 for our 860sf unit, apart from any work needed to make it pass).  However, when we bought our house last year with MIL already in place, someone made a complaint to the city on the day the real estate listing came out.  Fortunately we found out just before closing and negotiated a small price reduction to allow for the electrical work and permit costs.  We do not plan to live in this house forever, so the non-owner occupancy is pretty important.  However, as I said, most people I know with ADU's have not done the full permitting process anyway, and certainly continue to rent both units after moving on to other homes themselves.  The risk is being required to pay relocation costs of tenants if someone makes a complaint to the city.  I don't even understand why the complaint was made on our house, because it's practically surrounded by legal duplexes in a 7200sf zoned area, so it's not like there's any particular traffic congestion or parking shortages.  I think that was one of the big issues in the Queen Anne opponents' argument.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.