Skip to content
Pro Members Get Full Access
Succeed in real estate investing with proven toolkits that have helped thousands of aspiring and existing investors achieve financial freedom.
$0 TODAY
$32.50/month, billed annually after your 7-day trial.
Cancel anytime
Find the right properties and ace your analysis
Market Finder with key investor metrics for all US markets, plus a list of recommended markets.
Deal Finder with investor-focused filters and notifications for new properties
Unlimited access to 9+ rental analysis calculators and rent estimator tools
Off-market deal finding software from Invelo ($638 value)
Supercharge your network
Pro profile badge
Pro exclusive community forums and threads
Build your landlord command center
All-in-one property management software from RentRedi ($240 value)
Portfolio monitoring and accounting from Stessa
Lawyer-approved lease agreement packages for all 50-states ($4,950 value) *annual subscribers only
Shortcut the learning curve
Live Q&A sessions with experts
Webinar replay archive
50% off investing courses ($290 value)
Already a Pro Member? Sign in here
Austin Real Estate Forum

User Stats

Votes
Neil Narayan
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
Elon Musk plans to move to Texas

Neil Narayan
  • Real Estate Agent
  • Austin, TX
Posted Dec 4 2020, 14:53

CNBC, working off anonymous sources, reported Dec. 4 that the billionaire who also runs SpaceX and The Boring Company has put his California houses on the market this year and he has told close friends and associates that he intends to move to Texas.

Noting that Musk is the world’s second-wealthiest person behind Amazon’s Jeff Bezos, CNBC reports that Musk “spends most of his time between Austin, where Tesla and his tunnel start-up Boring Company have operations, and a coastal village called Boca Chica, home to a SpaceX facility."

SpaceX has been operating in Texas since 2003. Earlier this year, Tesla opted to build a massive car factory just east of Austin. Tesla has said it plans to create at least 5,000 jobs in Austin, although experts suggest the final figure could be significantly higher. And late this year, The Boring Company started posting jobs in Austin.

https://www.bizjournals.com/au...

User Stats

Votes
Travis C.
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Dec 6 2020, 20:42

@Jeffery Callis Tesla is building the Cyber Truck in Austin so they are outting money where mouths are actually.

User Stats

Votes
Jeffery Callis
  • Rental Property Investor
  • Knoxville, TN
Votes |
  • Knoxville, TN
Replied Dec 6 2020, 20:55

@Travis C.

🤔 I’m not sure why that has to do with anything that I stated fam.

Are you stating that people in Austin want low paying jobs? 👀

Palo Alto average wage is - $110k salary

Tesla is in Palo Alto- average employee wage is $36-38k salary.

That’s nearly a THIRD of the average wage in the area.

By moving to Texas.

They will pay even less 9-12$/hr

BiggerPockets logo
Find, Vet and Invest in Syndications
|
BiggerPockets
PassivePockets will help you find sponsors, evaluate deals, and learn how to invest with confidence.

User Stats

Votes
Guido Nunez
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Dec 6 2020, 21:13

@Neil Narayan I was in Texas last month. They bought land in Austin and outside Austin. Actually, it’s 45 minutes from San Antonio. Definitely buying something in Austin.

User Stats

Votes
Jim K.#2 Investor Mindset Contributor
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Dec 7 2020, 02:01

@Neil Narayan

So I'm not sure what you're wondering here.

If I was young and Texas-based right now, I would be completely focused on buying absolutely ALL THE LAND THERE IS in Brownsville, and probably everything across the immediate border in Matamoros, Mexico. And I'd do it now, before people really get a better idea of what Musk's Starship project is all about.

Musk is building the world's first commercial spaceport down there. The goal is to have literally hundreds of launches per year, on rockets that are significantly larger than the Saturn V rockets that carried the Apollo astronauts to the Moon. The community and infrastructure that is going to have to support those launches and move the materials the rockets transport, what is called in maritime economics the "hinterland" of this port, is going to have to be built.

Is Musk moving near Boca Chica? Without a doubt. Will Musk bring the rest of Musk, Inc. with him? Tesla and his other ventures? No. I wouldn't expect huge Musk-related stuff to be happening in Austin. Boca Chica State Park and the surrounding area is where the money and the jobs are going to be.

There are three ways the spaceport is going to generate income. First of all, direct investment in the beginning. SpaceX's reserves and Musk's personal fortune are both going to fund the initial port development. With Falcon 9, SpaceX currently launches 60% of the world market of satellites into space. That share will only grow now. That money is all going into Boca Chica.

SpaceX sees its main source of future revenue as getting the Starlink constellation of satellites in place. Currently, Musk launches these from Florida, 60 at at a time on Falcon 9 rockets, with major turnaround and refurbishment times. He wants to get 42,000 of them into orbit. He has about 600 in place. Once Starship is operational, Musk will be launching 400 at a time, at a much faster operational cadence and at a much lower cost per satellite. The network will grow into a behemoth that takes over all broadband communication worldwide -- he's going to completely corner the Internet market, everywhere, and with it, the entire world cellular communications market, the entire world telephone market, the entire cable TV market. And once he corners the market, he's going to keep it cornered. Rivers of cash from Starlink will flow into Boca Chica.

The plan right now is to use that money to build a self-sustaining colony on Mars. That's major mining operations up there, periodic resupply for decades, the needs of thousands of people taken care of regularly. How's that going to become self-sustaining? Mostly not through the Earth. But when it does become self-sustaining, the rockets will still go up from Boca Chica, because the Earth produces a lot of things, wonderfully exportable things, that people without will do almost anything to have.

Boca Chica is going to become a profitable place to invest in real estate, if not THE most profitable place in the world, of that you should have no doubt. 

User Stats

Votes
Zachary Ray
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Votes |
  • Investor
  • Tampa, FL
Replied Dec 7 2020, 05:27

I can't really blame him, California is a lot to handle right now.

User Stats

Votes
Ryan Jones
  • Lender
  • Hutto, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • Hutto, TX
Replied Dec 7 2020, 06:46

@Neil Narayan I know I’m helping him with his mortgage..

www.homeloanjones.com

User Stats

Votes
Travis C.
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Dec 7 2020, 07:01

@Jeffery Callis I replied with what I said because you said you "would not count on....to do anything to help the economy of Texas."

On the contrary, Tesla jobs (and SpaceX in South TX) have both been and will continue to be a huge boon to the Texas economy no matter if the middle skill jobs pay lackluster wages for those particular workers at the Cyber Truck plant. These are still middle wage jobs in a state that does nit have a high cost of living generally speaking.

User Stats

Votes
Travis C.
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Dec 7 2020, 07:03

And San Antonio is a finalist for the Space Force Command which will be announced in January 2021.

User Stats

Votes
Samson Hollmérus
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Dec 7 2020, 08:12

@Jim K.

I'd love to see the rources to support these thoughts shared here Jim.

You've definitively peaked my interest.

User Stats

Votes
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Dec 7 2020, 09:13
Originally posted by @Samson Hollmérus:

@Jim K.

I'd love to see the rources to support these thoughts shared here Jim.

You've definitively peaked my interest.

I'm a space nut from way back. This is all public information. Read the Wikipedia pages on SpaceX, Falcon 9, Starship, Starlink. Watch some Everyday Astronaut videos on SpaceX and Musk on YouTube. It's all out there.

User Stats

Votes
Travis C.
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Dec 7 2020, 09:15

@Jim K. Interesting thoughts and agree on Brownsville and also McAllen and South Padre for that matter. You couldn't pay me enough to buy in Matamoros due to the violence there.

User Stats

Votes
Replied Dec 7 2020, 11:17

A wealthy individual moving to a large state may not move the needle. More than likely he already owns a bunch of properties in the state. The key is if Elon’s move signals a new wave of tech investment in the area and establishment of new startups or new companies that drive high paying jobs. If that’s not happening such moves are meaningless for common people. The rich scooping up properties often does not do much incrementally. For example high end RE in NYC, SF, London gets bought and sold at the billionaire level everyday. Just last week a Chinese business man scooped up a $26 million dollar property in SF. How does that impact life for the common man? Fact is the guy is likely not even going to live in that home for more the a few weeks every year.

BiggerPockets logo
BiggerPockets
|
Sponsored
Find an investor-friendly agent in your market TODAY Get matched with our network of trusted, local, investor friendly agents in under 2 minutes

User Stats

Votes
Joe Splitrock
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Sioux Falls, SD
ModeratorReplied Dec 7 2020, 13:54

He is sick of California telling him how to run his business. They went head to head during the pandemic to try to shut him down. Tesla rescued that GM/Toyota plant after the great recession and brought "green" high paying manufacturing jobs to the area. One more failure of governor Newsom. 

Even Apple and other tech companies continue to increase their footprint in Texas. The state is business friendly, low taxes, cheap land and decent climate. Everything California is not accept the climate, haha.

User Stats

Votes
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Votes |
  • Handyman
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Replied Dec 7 2020, 15:57
Originally posted by @Travis C.:

@Jim K. Interesting thoughts and agree on Brownsville and also McAllen and South Padre for that matter. You couldn't pay me enough to buy in Matamoros due to the violence there.

Hey, you know much more about that than I do. But my reasoning is this: if I'm right, Brownsville is about to get a population increase and a large influx of mid to high-paying jobs. SpaceX has always tended to hire young people. Matamoros right across the border is going to be their sin city of easiest access, their cheap three-day weekend. There's $$$ in that. 

User Stats

Votes
Shiva Bhaskar
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Votes |
Pro Member
  • Investor
  • Los Angeles, CA
Replied Dec 7 2020, 20:42
Originally posted by @Jim K.:
Originally posted by @Travis C.:

Hey, you know much more about that than I do. But my reasoning is this: if I'm right, Brownsville is about to get a population increase and a large influx of mid to high-paying jobs. SpaceX has always tended to hire young people. Matamoros right across the border is going to be their sin city of easiest access, their cheap three-day weekend. There's $$$ in that. 

Jim, not from Texas but agree on McAllen and Brownsville. Have been hearing this elsewhere too. Going over to the Tamaulipas state might be tricky given how rough it is, but it's got great location, and if we ever get a more common sense drug policy, and things calm down there, it'll be worth much more. 

User Stats

Votes
Aaron Gordy
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Votes |
  • Real Estate Broker
  • Austin, TX
Replied Dec 8 2020, 13:42

The border towns are very risky, imo. The drug cartels are violent and are always fighting for the inroads into Texas and the U.S. They are flooding the U.S with drugs and what they can't move across quickly they dump at low prices causing even more of a scary moment for folks on the border. https://www.borderreport.com/r... No Thanks. And within that same news article there is fiscal year reports of drug seizures for the last 5 years. There is a 300% increase in meth drug seizures. I don't want meth users as tenants...nope. You couldn't pay me enough to be down in that madness. 

User Stats

Votes
Travis C.
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Votes |
  • Investor
  • San Antonio, TX
Replied Dec 8 2020, 14:11

@Aaron Gordy I think your thesis as applied to the Mexican side of the border is proper with caveats, as you but can't forget we live in a state where we have a border city, El Paso, who has one of the lowest crime and murder rates in the world sitting across the border from the complete inverse, Juarez, Mexico, boasting higher murder rates than Iraq during the Gulf War! Neither Matamoros nor Cuidad Acuña are places I'd park my money in real estate either, as such, but South Padre, yes! Also remember there are foreign ownership rules if not held in a trust if you want to buy inside of 50 kilometers of a coast in Mexico. This is risky enough IMO as it relates to that area we are talking about.

User Stats

Votes
Cheryll Ramirez
  • Lender
  • El Paso, TX
Votes |
  • Lender
  • El Paso, TX
Replied Jan 6 2021, 10:49

Thank you @Jim K. for all the info.